PDA

View Full Version : Buying Sites

njpete
02-19-2004, 11:29 AM
I know i saw this awhile ago, but does anyone know the urls of some good sites that are a directory of other websites for sale. I guess something like ebay but without the tons of garbage sites there.

sfoster
02-19-2004, 11:54 AM
I mostly monitor the forums(this one, Webmaster-talk, HTMLForums and some int'l ones) and due to a lack of a better alternative sift through the junk on Ebay and browse the search engines for terms like "site for sale" etc. to try and catch sites that put a sale sign somewhere on their site. Although I don't normally like to buy sites that are advertising to their customers that they are getting out

I also bought a site a year or so ago called furnishedwebsites.com and allow folks to post sites for sale there free. It gets good traffic and posts, but honestly most of the sites listed have very unrealistic prices.

I laugh most every time I am notified of a new listing.

There are some broker type sites out there as well, but again mostly unrealistic pricing. I stopped browsing them last year.

Steve_S
02-19-2004, 01:39 PM
One of the best is http://www.dnforum.com/

You will generally find that sites which require payment and or paid subscription contain the higher quality listings and more truthfull posts. Natch, as you said, ebay is the exception to this rule and is full of very very "strange" deals :)

HTH and good luck!

njpete
02-19-2004, 02:56 PM
Well just just want to say that so far webmaster forums like the village and webmaster-talk have been the best so far :) with this.

Those sites were good, but i mean are some of those people serious on furnishedwebsites.com. Gee i don't think i will be giving you $8,500 dollars for a site with an alexa rank of almost 5,000,000.

Steve_S
02-19-2004, 03:10 PM

Another good one from my old buddy John:

http://www.jimworld.com/apps/webmaster.forums/category::The%2BBusiness%2Bof%2BeBusiness/

Any geek who runs this on a Forum for free should count on spending a significant amount of time venting, auditing, and insuring that both parties have all their cards on the table and that we speak "facts" and not half truths and other creative measures :)

Generally, members of this Community are very very smart and understand "due dillegence" and the numerous ramifications of every single word in a post. Frankly, without "your" help, this Forum would have closed years ago. :) Congrats and thanks to all :)

sfoster
02-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Steve, I agree that charginig to post would help some...I wish there was some objective criteria or tools that we could use to accurately assess things like traffic claims. Alexa helps but their results can be manipulated.

I think the questions y'all force folks to answer here help and those questions couple with the member scrutiny make this forum one of the best to review for sites on sale.

However even webmasters that are willing to answer all of those questions many times have sites with questionable and/or fragile revenue models.

In fact, I am supicious of any offer to sell from a webmaster where the site is actually making money and they want to get rid of it.

I mean really what percentage of sites on the web actually make a net profit each month...and of those how many are pure plays(no brick and mortar) and of those how many are owned by individuals or 1- 5 person companies and of those how many have organic growth(not purchased or exchanged).

I bet it is a very small number

jnestor
02-19-2004, 08:59 PM
We're getting pretty far off topic but I completely disagree with your assertion as stated:

"I mean really what percentage of sites on the web actually make a net profit each month...

I bet it is a very small number"

I bet it's actually quite a large number. Add two additional criteria to your list though:

Make a profit of over $500 a month - this dwindles the list down considerably - afterall it's pretty easy to make a "profit" with a $7 a month hosting plan and no other expenses. You only need to earn $8 a month to be "profitable".

And the other criteria to add:

Take little time/expertise to run - There are a good number of sites owned and run by individuals that make a lot of money but those individuals are experts at something and/or (usually and) spend a lot of time on the site.

petertdavis
02-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Steve, you might add one of my 'rules of thumb' to that bit of good advice. "Never enter into a transaction on the Internet where the sum of money changing hands is more than you can afford to lose". Transactions do go sour, in real life and on the Internet. On the Internet, though, chances are good that you'll never see that money again if you are dealing with a dishonest person, and if you do enough business on the Internet, you will eventually get stung by a fraudster.

Originally posted by Steve_S
Any geek who runs this on a Forum for free should count on spending a significant amount of time venting, auditing, and insuring that both parties have all their cards on the table and that we speak "facts" and not half truths and other creative measures :)

Generally, members of this Community are very very smart and understand "due dillegence" and the numerous ramifications of every single word in a post. Frankly, without "your" help, this Forum would have closed years ago. :) Congrats and thanks to all :)