PDA

View Full Version : Font Site For Sale???

devaid
01-17-2004, 06:02 AM
Hi there,

Iím guessing this is the correct place to post this. Itís not so much that I want to sell my website, just to get a feel for you guys what potential itís got and how much I could get for it now or maybe in the future.

Name of Site: fonttrader.com
Description: Fonttrader is a unique site giving visitors the ability to trade fonts, by earning credits.
Members: 900
Visitors: About 100 Unique visits per Day with 1,000 page views. Most visitors come from other font sites such as top lists and Google.
Income Earned: Not much as the site is still very new and I havenít really promoted the ability to buy credits and the whole collection.
- Newsletter
o Approx $30 per mailing
- Advertisements on Site
o $6.50
- Credits and Packages to buy
o $10

The site still needs a lot of work being put into it as Iíve many features that I would like adding. If I was to sell the site now, it would have to go to a techie.

Hope you guys can help

devaid
02-14-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm quite surprised that no one has replied!

Has this site not got potential?

fgraph
02-14-2004, 02:35 PM
I had PMed you awhile ago about it. The most concerning thing is that you stated it requires a lot of custom programming, which may be difficult depending on your coding style and what remains etc.

Steve_S
02-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi devaid,

Welcome to the "Village" and best of luck :)

Some thoughts in no particular order:

Most sites have potential, however this factor is normally near the bottom of the list when determining the value of the site.

Many many years ago I used to be involved in the "font" business so I have some thoughts to increase your traffic and ultimetly permit you to demonstrate earned revenue which are two of the primary factors for the value of a site.

A registration is all you need to download. The download credits feature may save you bandwidth but it also creates an exstra step that a lot of folks don't want to do so they leave and don't return. Plus the legal aspects and potential for abuse.

I'm not an attorney but your "PURCHASE COLLECTION" link may in fact cause you legal grief. I'm assuming these are either PD and or Shareware cuts. The creator may have restrictions and often in the Shareware world you can't "Sell" the face. Your best bet is to consult with an attorney and carefully comply with each and every readme included in the fonts archive.

Creatives and designers don't normally look for fonts via an A-Z list. I would suggest that you create Categories with names for your collection. For example:

Grunge
Hip Hop
Xmas
Easter
Art Neveau
Headlines That Sell

And much much more. If you really wan't a value for your site as posted then my guess would be a few hundred dollars but given the subjective nature of this, others may have different thoughts.

Best of luck and HTH :)

fgraph
02-14-2004, 06:05 PM
it actually all depends on how you phrase it. There's a lot of download sites that require you to pay access, only to download shareware and freeware items that may have such licenses attributed to them. They get away with it because the money they're charging is for the speed, administration costs, and other such expenses and not necessairly for the individual items (in this case fonts). While you should, as steve said, consult an attorney, there are ways to build on this concept legally. The site does have potential but I think there are a number of features which need to be coded in. Also, because there are so many font sites, you'll have to find several ways to distinguish yourself, such as quantity of fonts (takes a lot of time to do that), better presentation, etc.

AxisHost
03-05-2004, 03:19 AM
I recently opened my own font site, and if it ok I will share a link here: www.fontsville.com (no popups)

currently I only have income from google ads. but I am working with my lawyer on exactly what we can and cant do when it comes to "payments for fonts" fgraph makes a great point, having your visitors pay in a form of donation looks to be the safest way to go.

With that said I would like to know if this site has sold or not and if not what would your asking price be for the script domain and current collection of members?

Since your first post, how many new members do you have? any progress on the current script?

Creatives and designers don't normally look for fonts via an A-Z list. I would suggest that you create Categories with names for your collection.

Steve,

Great point! we are working on sorting 10k fonts... got a few days to help us out on the sorting???
;)

As always.... best of luck!

A.J.