PDA

View Full Version : For Sale/Adoption: AdProject.net

Darryl
01-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

Times change and it's now become time to move on. As such, my partners and I have decided to give away AdProject.net to a new, loving family.

For those who don't know, AdProject is a self-serve advertising system. It's pretty much fully automated - registration, sales, serving, reporting, billing, etc - all we do is send out cheques every month when people hit the $50 threshold. More details available at the site.

Let's see...information you'll probably be interested in:

URL: http://www.adproject.net

Age of site: 2 years. The first ads were served in beta on January 26th, 2002.

Why are we selling/giving it away: Essentially, we just don't have enough time for it anymore - and realistically, haven't had enough time for it for a while now. The three of us that run it are all going our seperate ways - one has taken a full time job at Microsoft, another at RIM, and I'm mulling over a few different offers, one of which I'll accept. We'll all soon be in different corners of the continent with different focuses.

Not only that, to be honest, running it has gotten frustrating in some ways. We're owed thousands of dollars from advertisers who haven't paid and I don't have the time to keep harassing them. I haven't even had time to follow up on new leads that come in constantly. We've also had a nagging server problem that we've thought we've fixed a few times, but somehow it keeps coming back and crashing the server.

Why GIVE it away? Because really, it's probably not worth that much - maybe a few thousand to the right buyer - and for that small amount of money it doesn't really matter to us. We'd rather see it go to a good home than to the highest bidder (though maybe they're one and the same).

Revenue and expenses: Assume that site makes no money - which has pretty much been the case recently due to bad debts.

Hosting costs us $139/month for a dedicated server with Tranxactglobal (www.tranxactglobal.com), which can easily be transferred. The server is an AMD Duron 1GHz with 1GB RAM and a 40GB hard drive, running Red Hat 7.2 with a monthly bandwidth allocation of 500GB. You could easily upgrade the server to a better package with no setup fees with the same company and pay the same rate - that server's two years old. We also pay for a merchant account and credit card processing, which I'm told is not easily transferrable - so you'd want your own system for that.

Members: Currently there are 473 members of the service, and, oddly enough, 473 sites.

Traffic: Currently we're only serving about 20,000 ads per day. Back in the good 'ole days, we were well over a million, but as I said, we've had our problems with the server and lack of attention has cost us. I'd love to see someone else get back up to those levels, and much, much higher. PageRank is 6, if that matters to you.

Tech: The site runs off JSP with a mySQL backend, using Tomcat as the connector. CVS system is installed.

What you'll get: The domain, server, all the code for current and in development features (there's lots of stuff that's been added on the back end but doesn't have a front end yet; like the site directory, flash support, popup support, new Member's Area, geotargetting, etc. etc. etc.), and whatever else we can give you to make your life easier.

I've put the site up on eBay to see if there are any takers, with a $50 reserve to make going through the selling process worthwhile. If nobody bites, it'll be given away to whoever seems to offer it the nicest home.

The eBay aution is at:

(URL removed)

Go to it, all. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at darryl@adproject.net.

Sashman
01-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear that Darryl.

Czar
01-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Best of luck in your future endeavours, Darryl.

Looks as though someone wants the site. I just pushed the candle man up $100 while trying to feel out the present maximum bid. I have no doubt that the bidding pace will increase sufficiently towards the end of the week to do the service at least a little justice.

SinisterX
01-13-2004, 12:29 AM
interested in it.

xaze
01-13-2004, 12:32 AM
I am very interested in it, but how much money do you owe members?

Browsehosts
01-13-2004, 01:23 AM
I'm very interested in this site.

Darryl
01-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Any money that is owed to members will be paid by us if at all possible. In some cases, where payment has not come through for bulk ad buys, I stipulated that we would pay them when they paid us (I got hit with a couple thousand once and won't make that mistake again).

I've got a ton of emails and there's a lot of interest; thanks everyone. I'll be going through them now and responding to all.

(Added server specs to the original post)

Darryl

njpete
01-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Good luck on your sale, i'll know bidding will get pretty high. It is a great site and i am one of your members :) . Just out of curiosity is your lyrics site also going to be up for sale i would bid on that also.

Darryl
01-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Hmm...I hadn't thought about selling LyricFind! It doesn't really do too much right now as we've gone through all the copyright issues, though.

I'd be open to offers on it but I'm likely to hang on to it and revisit it in the near future - working in the music industry opened up a few new possibilities for it that I'd like to explore.

As for AdProject, I have received a bid of $500 from what looks like a good home, which is the leading candidate thus far.

Czar
01-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Oh, and I thought I was winning. Would you prefer to work outside of eBay in negotiating this transaction?

Things could grow confusing real quick if you keep the eBay auction open, while simultaneously seeking offers externally.

Darryl
01-14-2004, 01:07 AM
I'm asking everyone to place their bids on eBay - I received the offer externally but they should be adding it to the auction shortly. If it doesn't get added to the auction, it doesn't count - I'm not going to ***** over the high bidder!

Darryl
01-14-2004, 01:34 AM
Answers to a few questions I've been asked recently...

Is there an account I can use to try out the service?

I've created a test account - use the login "test@adproject.net" and the password "testing".

You may want to play around with the new Member's Area which is 95% completed - to do this, log in to the old one and then switch the URL to http://www.adproject.net/members2/ - but be aware that some links still post back to the old directory so you'll need to watch and occasionally switch back.

Why do you have bad debts when everything is prepaid?

We did some deals with bulk advertisers doing run of network ads where we'd get paid on a Net 30 basis...which, in a couple cases, became Net Infinity. Take my advice and get at least a deposit upfront if not full payment, unless you are 100% confident with the company you're dealing with.

Misc:

You can see the mostly-done (aesthetics definitely needed; functionality is pretty much all there) site directory/shopping cart system at http://www.adproject.net/categories.do .

Rhea
01-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Geeze, this is so sad. It's kind of like the parents are getting a divorce and the kids are being put up for adoption.

I hope you get a great new job, Darryl and find a good home for AdProject. I also hope the skunks who haven't paid you cough up the dough (or at least lose a couple of nights sleep over it).

What a world. What a world.

ajiabs
03-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Did the site changed hands? Remember seeing the ebay auction completed successful. After that the site has been offline most of the time.

If it is not changed hands please let me know.

Thanks,
Aji

Darryl
03-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Funny you should ask. The buyer has dropped off the face of the earth, so the site is now back up for sale.

The reason it was down was because the hosting company was trying to transfer the account over and couldn't get ahold of the new buyer, so they shut it off - it's now back in our possession, though.

So, if you (or anyone else) are interested, let me know - no eBay auction this time.

Darryl

ajiabs
03-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Darryl,
Just sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Aji

Czar
03-02-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm still interested also. Please keep us informed as to how the bidding process is going.

skuzzy
03-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Darryl
Funny you should ask. The buyer has dropped off the face of the earth, so the site is now back up for sale.

The reason it was down was because the hosting company was trying to transfer the account over and couldn't get ahold of the new buyer, so they shut it off - it's now back in our possession, though.

So, if you (or anyone else) are interested, let me know - no eBay auction this time.

Darryl

Are you legally allowed to be re-selling this site? You said the buyer dropped off the face of the earth... was this after he paid you for it? If so, then he technically owns the site and just because he dropped off the face of the earth doesn't mean you can re-claim it. I'm just confused as to why the host would be trying to transfer the site to him if he haden't paid for it already? Sounds to me like you're trying to sell the site again.

Darryl
03-02-2004, 08:45 PM
No, the buyer hasn't paid for it, so I feel no guilt or legal obligations in selling it!

I was trying to transfer the hosting account over the the (former) buyer, and hence gave the hosting company the contact info for the buyer so he could provide them with billing information. They never received any response from him.

Darryl

Darryl
03-02-2004, 08:46 PM
I should note that the current high bid since the site became available again is $675.

(edit: updated high bid)

1EightT
03-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Any chance you would share the code you ised for the backend? I might start up a small advertising deal for my automotive websites and could use some good software as a start. If you wouldn't mind sharing I am willing to compensate you for it.

webmaster@club18t.com is my direct e-mail and my name is brian

Darryl
03-03-2004, 10:17 PM
That would probably be a bit of a conflict of interest with selling the site. If I was giving it up for adoption, that would be a different matter; however, with the sale, you'd have to speak to the new owner about it (or become the new owner yourself).

BTW, high bid is now $850.

Also, bidding will close on the site at midnight EST on Sunday.

(edit: updated high bid, added closing date)

Darryl
03-04-2004, 09:14 AM
High bid is now $1,500.

Darryl
03-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to report that the site has been sold. We received a high offer contingent on immediate acceptance, and took it. I know I said bidding would stay open until Sunday night, but we just couldn't turn it down. Sorry!

Thanks everyone for your interest (again), and hopefully this'll be the last time I sell the site!

Darryl

Czar
03-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Congratulation Darryl. :bigclap:

Looks as though you're very lucky the first buyer fled. I'm presuming this sold for at least a 300% increase over the January sale price. Wish my share market investments would produce that sort of quarterly growth. :eek: ;)