PDA

View Full Version : General rambling questions on keywords and traffic

jpapadpapa
01-07-2004, 01:00 PM
I am wondering how long it takes to see results as far as traffic goes. I currently have a Google PR ranking of 4 and am also listed in DMOZ. I have 10 keywords in top 20 positions in the following major search engines: DMOZ, Altavista, Teoma, MSN, and Overture. But, I am only getting an average of 23 uniques a day. Can anyone estimate how long it will take for my traffic to pick up or does that just depend on a lot of factors? It has only been a few months that I've had that many high keyword rankings. Am I just impatient?:rolleyes:

Secondly, how do you know what keywords are the best to optimize for? It seems to me that with my niche market, it's pretty cut-and-dry. But, how would I know if I'm missing something? I know there is some website you can go to to figure this out, but I've forgotten.

Thirdly, I am currently using an SEO company. (I guess that's what you call it. Forgive me if I use the wrong terms). I am not sure if they are worth the money or not. They charge about $80 a month. It is a big expense for me, but I am scared to get rid of them, too. I think they are the reason my keywords are well-ranked, but how do I really know?

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed. I'm still learning and I think I always will be! :)

jessebhunt
01-07-2004, 01:22 PM
I have 10 keywords in top 20 positions in the following major search engines: DMOZ, Altavista, Teoma, MSN, and Overture.

If your only getting 23 uniques per day, then I would say that your focusing on the wrong keywords.

Secondly, how do you know what keywords are the best to optimize for? It seems to me that with my niche market, it's pretty cut-and-dry. But, how would I know if I'm missing something? I know there is some website you can go to to figure this out, but I've forgotten.

Wordtracker (http://www.wordtracker.com)

Thirdly, I am currently using an SEO company. (I guess that's what you call it. Forgive me if I use the wrong terms). I am not sure if they are worth the money or not. They charge about $80 a month. It is a big expense for me, but I am scared to get rid of them, too. I think they are the reason my keywords are well-ranked, but how do I really know?

I would get rid of them... currently, if you figure the amount that you are paying to them per visitor that you are receiving.... It works out to about 11 cents per visitor. You could probably use Google adwords for that price!

I would get rid of the SEO company and do it yourself. You can learn a lot about SEO by reading the forums here at GV

Just my $0.02

njpete
01-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Yes this is a problem that maybe about 85% of webmasters face. Firstly with any kind of money you spend it is important that you have a means to track the results to make sure it is worth the expense. I see many times sites don't do this and this absolutely can not be a guessing game.

I usually don't weigh in on Google and MSN etc. because the traffic i get from from search engines (even though it is very nice
;) ) is something beyond my control for the most part and a nice bonus to me. I base things on my other paid marketing.

I would suggest running on a PPC like Overture or Adwords etc. for relevant terms (i also really like Search123 and Enhance (formerly Ah-ha)). This is the best solution for a niche product.

Also if you actually sell a product it is not everything for someone to visit your site just buy your product. Maybe try to get your item listed on like a Shopping.com or any internet store/mall. Also you can start and affiliate program and make it sale based.

jpapadpapa
01-07-2004, 02:43 PM
I just looked through Wordtracker and it doesn't seem that I'm focused on the wrong keywords. When you have a product in a niche market, though, do you focus on very specific keywords or should I do something very general like "dog"? It seems like I might get a lot of traffic that way, but it wouldn't be very targeted.

I only have one keyword in the top 10 though (on DMOZ, FYI). All the rest are closer to 20. That keyword is ranked 98 in Wordtracker, which doesn't seem high to me, but I don't know. It's all new to me.

Could it just be that I don't have a very "searched for" product? Even so, I would think I'd have more uniques than what I have now. By the way, specific brand names have much better rankings in Wordtracker, but the brand I sell does not as it is not very well-known yet.

I hope I am making sense. It's hard to think clearly with this "pregnancy brain" of mine! ;)

Jack
01-07-2004, 07:13 PM

That depends. What changes has the company made/asked you to make to your site to help you rank better? My thoughts though are that it probably is not working due to how many visitors you have. The money would most likely be better spent on a Pay Per Click Search Engine.

I just looked through Wordtracker and it doesn't seem that I'm focused on the wrong keywords. When you have a product in a niche market, though, do you focus on very specific keywords or should I do something very general like "dog"? It seems like I might get a lot of traffic that way, but it wouldn't be very targeted.

Specific keywords, but not ultra specific. "Dog" for example would not be a good choice because there is no way you are going to get ranked number 1 on that keyword. If I were you, these would be the keywords I would focus on:

pet containment
pet containment system
pet containment systems
dog containment systems
dog containment

.. and various other keywords after the products you sell.

Could it just be that I don't have a very "searched for" product? Even so, I would think I'd have more uniques than what I have now. By the way, specific brand names have much better rankings in Wordtracker, but the brand I sell does not as it is not very well-known yet.

From a quick look at Wordtracker, it appears that your product line is not too searched for. However, I do believe there is a small market for it online.

I have to concur with what others have said. Start doing some Pay Per Click advertising with Overture and Google. I have wonderful results with these two services and some of my sites make money strictly from buying advertising.

jpapadpapa
01-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Okay. I will look into that. I have tried Overture and Adwords in the past without much success, but it was before I really knew what I was doing. Any specific suggestions on having a successful campaign with these?

jessebhunt
01-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Other keywords that I might try to focus on if I were you are:

underground fence
and
invisible fence (I understand that this is the name of a competitors product, but it is also a common generic name for underground pet containment systems.)

You might also be able to do a product comparison page where you could get search traffic based on searches for competitors products. Keywords that you might focus on here could be:

petsafe
dog watch
invisible fence (again)
contain-a-pet

I'm working on a website for a local pet containment dealer right now... these will be some of the keywords that I will be focusing on, but our keywords will also focus heavily on the area since this dealer does installation.

jpapadpapa
01-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Actually, I already do have a product comparison page. I also have the other terms you suggested throughout my site. I guess I just need to learn more about optimization, too, since I've just been relying on this company to do everything. I should probably do it myself. Even if I eventually hired someone again at least I'd know what they were doing and if it was worth it.

So, any general tips on how exactly to go about optimizing?

jessebhunt
01-08-2004, 04:19 PM
So, any general tips on how exactly to go about optimizing?

Site optimization is a very broad topic, and in my opinion it has been pretty well addressed in the other forums here at GV and elsewhere on the internet. Start by reading every post that you can in the "Site Promotion" and "Google Search Engine" Forums here at GV.

You might also want to read the forums at SEOChat.com (http://www.seochat.com)

jpapadpapa
01-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.