PDA

View Full Version : Google AdWords - Tips?

suresk
12-01-2003, 04:16 AM
I've been trying to advertise with Google AdWords for quite some time now. I have been having a big problem with my ads being deactivated frequently, making it a big waste of time and money so far. Does anyone have any tips for keeping the CTR up?

I've tried with several sites, all in the webmaster/eCommerce area. I've tried targetting keywords as best as possible, but even ones I think match well don't get very good results. I then end up with 40 or so rare keywords that get maybe 1 or 2 clicks per day, total. I've also tried playing with the description, but that is hard to work with too, because of the very limited space.

What have all of you done to use AdWords successfully? Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

EMINEM79
12-01-2003, 08:19 AM
I had the same problem.

To be honest with you the only thing I did that made a major change in my CTR was up my bids, not huge increases but 10 - 20% more $.

Dave

Jack
12-01-2003, 08:56 AM
I do a large amount of advertising with Adwords. Keyword deactiving is a problem for everyone who uses Adwords, even with multiple ad changes. My success with Adwords is due to the fact that I make low bids (almost never higher than 20 cents, rarely higher than 10 cents) and bid on a tremendous amount of keywords. This will usually allow you to bid on keywords no one is bidding on and thus have no problem with the CTR. The good news about this is that it is very easy to add many keywords to Google. You can even copy and paste straight from their keyword tool if you wish to use that (personally I wrote a script so I could copy in Wordtracker results easily).

This may seem like it will not produce a large amount of visitors at first but when you look hard for keywords, you can find some golden ones. It is a great feeling to find a keyword producing 25+ clicks per day you can buy for 5 cents and direct straight to an affiliate program for 50+ cents a click. There are MANY of these keywords still out there.

In summary:

- Bid low.
- Bid on as many relevant keywords as you can find. It is easy to add them with Google.
- Do not concentrate on well known, competitive keywords. You will either be deactivated or spend WAY too much.

Czar
12-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Plus, try to customise the title to match keywords where possible. This will result in your title being highlighted in bold formatting, which can increase its visibility and perceived relevance even when ranked below higher-bid terms.

Try also to geotarget where possible. This can bring down your average cost/click, while increasing the qualification of your visitors.