PDA

View Full Version : Image Copyrights

hobbnet
10-15-2000, 06:57 PM
Hey all,
First forgive me for asking a question that has been asked before but I want to put up my version of it...

Ok, as some of you know I got this job teaching a Information Technologies class. This wednesday I am going over the basics of Photoshop and how to make graphics internet ready. Now, I am pondering as to what I should tell them regarding copyrights. Now, personally I will at times take graphics from other sites and integrate them into my own site. What are the issues on this?

If they are modified is it legal to use them?
What about if they are used on a non-profit site?

This is a college course so the students can take responsibility for their own actions. I just want to point them in the generally right way.

If it would just affect them I'd tell them go for it and if anyone ever contacts them regarding copyright issues just comply with them (a usual lawsuit threat) and take the pics down. But since the goal of most of the students are to go on and work with some bigger non profit organization of the sorts I dont want them to get the organization in trouble later down the road.

any suggestions?

T Dot
10-15-2000, 10:19 PM
Im not sure about the legal stuff, but when I use pics from other sites, I always ask first.

The owners respond very politely and are amazed that I would like to use the. Everyone has said okay!

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Most pics are of pictures, and all would just like recognition of the work. Thats all... As some people play it off as they did the work or things like that.

I suggest that they asked first, as I hear alot of the major companies crack down on people using their logos / pics or whatever... Which depending on the website, could deminish the rep or the company.

Even modifiyting the orignial is not a good idea either.

If you are looking for pics / graphics there are alot of free sites which all people to take pictures from their sites.

Hope this helps

Louie

cyburrr
10-16-2000, 06:51 AM
I agree you should ask. Whether someone has taken the time to create a graphic, or purchased a licensed photo, they deserve either credit or compensation.

I don't think modifying them makes it legal even for a non-profit site. The question is; are they modified enough that they won't be recognized...and are you comfortable doing that.

hobbnet
10-16-2000, 08:40 AM
Well, if you modify a picture I know at some point you can consider it your own. I am not sure of the exact legal words but I know at some point its ok. For example...If you made a collage with ripped out pictures from newsweek I am sure an artist could get away with that w/o legal reprocution because the art now is the collage itself and not the individual pictures.

T Dot (or anyone else who knows) Could you give me some URLs of good sites that have free pics to use.

Thanks

T Dot
10-16-2000, 09:10 PM
I dont know of any urls sorry, but do a search off free pics. It also depends on what type of pics you are looking for.

When taking pics, my suggestions are, always ask. If not your site will get a bad name, and you dont want that. Secondly read the fine print on the site you are taking info / pics from. Get an email from the webmaster saying its okay to use. Show them the urls first before veiwing them to the public.

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Louie