PDA

View Full Version : pagerank updated!

AhmedF
08-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Yes ... finally got my PR8 ... and its funny ... I have already gotten two offers for text link buys - meh them.

Rhea
08-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Okay Ahmed, you gotta explain what "meh" means. I love the way it sounds but I'm afraid to use it in case it's some vile curse likely to get me into trouble.

Congrats on your PR8. That's amazing! What's your secret? :angel:

AhmedF
08-10-2003, 01:08 AM
'meh' is a term of semi-annoyance ;)

secret? Welp .. another one of my clients has a PR8 now too .. maybe you should hire me and find out! ;)

Rhea
08-10-2003, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Ahmed. I like "meh". I also like "feh" but I already knew what that means.

I wish I could afford to hire you, but I don't think my flying piggybank has that much change in it. :(

AhmedF
08-10-2003, 11:05 AM
boggle ... its really over-rated anyway ... PR is just an ego thing. What really counts are your rankings in search engines, and even MORE important, is the SALES [and yummy profit] you make from that! :)

Steve_S
08-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Rhea,

I'm not sure if you saw the following thread. It's jam packed with tips/secrets which I absolutely guarantee will improve your rankings. See:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21108

A fair use exstraction from an article I wrote a few months ago:

"......It's best to view PR as a "very raw" metrix and most importantly, an automatic result of proper site construction, maintenance, and SE optimization."

The article already needs edits but hopefully it will help provide a base.

AhmedF is certainly correct when he speaks of RPV (Revenue Per Visitor) which brings me to another subject.

What is the avergae page views per Google unique? How many SE geeks on planet earth use this preliminary metrix? With some sites any traffic is desirable so it does not matter since it's free. With other sites which are tightley focused it's important to evaluate.

Rhea
08-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Thanks Steve!

Hubby recently volunteered my services as a sort-of SEO type to an educational institution. They wanted to know why they couldn't get a top ten Google ranking for their ideal search phrase. I told them that if I couldn't rather quickly determine the problem I'd refer them to someone like Ahmed (or maybe even Ahmed himself)!

Anyway, when I started to look at the situation there were so many things wrong with their metatags, their index page (not enough words), their ODP listing (outdated URL) and a half dozen other things that I realized not only could they probably get a top ten rank if they followed my advice, they could almost certainly take the #1 spot. :cool:

Perhaps I have more of a clue than I realized. I owe most of what I know about SEO to Ahmed and a lot of other GVers, who I really have been paying attention to in between being a pest. :p

AhmedF
08-10-2003, 03:55 PM
hehe rhea .. as I said .. SEO is dead .. the basic mechanics are now very well covered :)

Now just make sure you stay out of the fields I am working on :p

Rhea
08-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Ahmed, I can't even get it through my skull that SEO is dead! With a learning curve like mine you probably don't need to worry about me moving in on your SEM business! However, if you happen to need an assistant or an apprentice, I'm available. ;)

Anyhoo, Hubby needed to do a favor for this guy in a hurry, and seeing as how I'm the only person he knows who has a clue about what makes Google happy...I was volunteered for the job. Lucky me! :rolleyes: