PDA

View Full Version : Court says Gator-style ads are legal

Arie
07-02-2003, 11:02 AM
This doesn't sound to good:

http://news.com.com/2100-1024-1022791.html?part=dht&tag=ntop

A federal court has ruled that pop-up ads for rivals of U-Haul International, placed atop the moving company's own site by a third-party software application, are legal.

Rhea
07-02-2003, 11:40 AM
I wonder how the judge would rule if I went out and replaced someone else's billboards with ads of my own.

What a maroon.

redsfan
07-07-2003, 05:08 PM
They've argued, it comes down to consumers owning their own desktops, which are inherently built to support many applications with multiple windows

Doesn't look good at all, i'm glad my site is only a small one and they arn't preying on me.

I'm new to this site but what i've read about scumware on this forum has really got to me, I know they are large websites these companies are targetting but to have the cheek of cashing in on other websites advertising and trying to steal thier users is unbelievable.

photocartoonist
07-19-2003, 05:05 PM
I am new to this Gator debate. But I have been reading everything I can get my trackball on about the history of Gator and the publishers opinions here on GV and everywhere else.

Gator has settled both of the major lawsuits against them, with an agreement to cease certain activities. The New York Times and the other media companies in the suit seemed happy that Gator agreed to just not target them. Not a win for the publishers at large.

I just started using Adtegrity to sell some of my inventory. I do not use their pops because they don't have frequency capping in place yet (hmmm I wonder if I can do that myself with phpAdsNEW?) but they do place Gator ads.

I respect this community but I do not want to throw the baby out with the bathwater in the case of Adtegrity. Is there a double standard? Internet.com features Gator ads and I see links to their articles all over GV.

What is the current state of affairs with Gator? Is the publisher community still angry over past behvior that has been stopped? Or are they still not to be trusted because they continue to hurt publishers?

Inquisitive newbie wants to know! :-)

Kat

ManagerJosh
07-24-2003, 05:31 PM
I don't mind gator showing its banner..I mind the activex prompt..a bit annoying to click no, but at least you can opt out.

What I really hate is when viewers of a community bash the webmaster for all the ads like gator.

Jan
07-25-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ManagerJosh
What I really hate is when viewers of a community bash the webmaster for all the ads like gator.
Hopefully all active members of this community bash Gator and its ilk. :angel: