PDA

View Full Version : Website Evaluation

Stranger
06-08-2003, 12:11 AM
I have an assignment which I am stuck on.

I have to evaluate a website against Design and performance criteria.
Evaluation must extend to 3rd level of the website.
I have to comment on aspects which work well with site and what needs improving.
Eg. Navigation methods and Cues used in design.

I am completely lost on this.
Ive chosen www.harveynorman.com.au

But right now I am pretty much stuck.
Can someone help me or elaborate?

Thanks

Czar
06-08-2003, 12:27 AM
A good place to start would be to do the rounds at Jakob N's website UseIt.com (http://www.useit.com), which is a highly-repected website usability resource.

You would then have the toolset necessary to tackle everything from an analysis of colour theory in regards to whether or not the colors and amount of whitespace used 'click' with the same demographics of the purchasing public targeted by Harvey Norman, to a look at whether any holes, distractions or points of hesitation exist throughout the checkout process.

You could even talk about whether or not the site offers enough (or too many) sticky, community-based features such as polls, forums, chat support and the like to increase repeat usage and to serve as virtual shop assistants.

HTH

Stranger
06-08-2003, 02:57 AM
What to do at useit?
Im still confused :eek:

Czar
06-08-2003, 04:08 AM
Read it. ;)

Start with a quick scan through the articles featured within the AlertBox, most of which relate to website usability:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/

You could also read articles from publications such as eMarketer, Internet.com's ad and media-related properties, AdAge, MediaPost, etc. Traditional paper-based electronic design journals, magazines or books should also be readily available from your local library or newsagent, and may feature handy guidelines for reference.

Stranger
06-09-2003, 07:13 AM
Thanks, from your help and another forums help I completed Part A :P

Now for Part B (Create Site in Macromedia Fireworks MX :D)

Then got user & technical documentation and the rest of Occupational Health and Safety to go :|

So Part B of that Site evaluation assignment
Half of OH & S
And All of User and Technical Doc. Left :)