PDA

View Full Version : Holiday idea with Amazon.com.

Nintendo
11-01-2002, 02:21 AM
I don't know how much it can generate in sales, but I just thought of an idea for a section that might be able to increase sales even more during the holiday season, a section where you make suggestions for gifts.

Here's my current version (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/nintendo/holiday_gift_ideas.shtml) with more sections to be added as I find more items in Amazon.com.

If you have ideas on how it can be made better, post away.

Timo
11-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Have you considered amazon xml? Just starting to look into it and it seems promising. There have been a few problems that people have run into, but the majority of them them seem to be worked out.

Big bonus is you can integrate links to all of the foreign amazons.

1lit
11-04-2002, 11:09 PM
Very well done! I like your site.

It probably goes against the aesthetics of your site, but have you considered adding any Christmassy graphics? I notice most shopping sites add snow/Santa Claus/gift boxes at this time of the year to get people in the Holiday Season mood... and subtly remind them it's time to BUY :)

Nintendo
11-04-2002, 11:32 PM
:::but have you considered adding any Christmassy graphics?

Yes, I have, just been waiting for Amazon.com to make them. Allready made a days until Christmas countdown (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/cgi-local/countdown.cgi) that I'll put up once Amazon.com has made Christmas logos, around November 10th.

Rhea
11-05-2002, 03:41 AM
Hey Nintendo,

Good idea, but in IE I'm seeing text overlaying graphics, and also the page scrolls sideways. Have you considered putting the links in a table so they behave themselves a bit better? It'd probably make it easier for a visitor to read the text if it lines up.

I like the idea of an 'X shopping days 'til Christmas' reminder. I've already started doing my holiday shopping. My goal is to be finished by Thanksgiving! (I'm such an optimist!)

1lit
11-05-2002, 04:04 PM
Love the Christmas countdown! I have one on my site, but it lists the number of days i.e. 55 days. Yours is a lot better as it gives the months and then days. Could you share the script with us please?

Nintendo
11-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Matts Script Archive
http://www.scriptarchive.com/countdown.html

You do need to do some editing in the script, or it will go like this

years
months
days
hours
minutes
seconds

::the page scrolls sideways.

I know about the scrolling. I don't care very much about the E-Mail part being hidden.

::Have you considered putting the links in a table so they behave themselves a bit better?

Right now there are three tables, images in one, links in one and the mail thing in one.

::Good idea, but in IE I'm seeing text overlaying graphics,

This is what I get on IE 5. (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/nintendo/ie5.gif)

mikesgt2
11-06-2002, 03:49 PM
You can do the script fairly easily with PHP I think. Make a timestamp for christmas and take the current timestamp from that. Then just use the date() function.

Rhea
11-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Hey Nintendo,

That's odd, I have IE 5.5. Oh well, it looks nice based on the screen shot you took. Just ignore me! (Always good advice, anyway) :D

mikesgt2
11-06-2002, 07:18 PM
That is IE5 on the mac (correct me if I am wrong). There are major differences between the mac and windows versions.

Nintendo
11-06-2002, 08:46 PM
Yes, I'm on a Mac and only have a Mac, so yes, it is hard for me to see what the changes look like on Windows.

alteredskate
11-07-2002, 03:45 PM
The site looks fine for me, and I am on IE 6 with windows 98.

Nintendo
11-07-2002, 09:55 PM
It's fixed. I replaced <TD WIDTH="85"> with <TD WIDTH="125">. The second image had a width of 125.

One more idea for a 'Holiday Gift Ideas' section is having a shopping cart button next to each links. An example can be in the link in my first post.

Nintendo
11-20-2002, 10:59 PM
On second thought, about the count down idea, I think a better idea would be to tell visitors WHY to order online. Here's an example. (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/cgi-local/about.cgi)

Two other things that I've done to increase sales BIG time is redirecting visitors to Amazon when some one goes to a dead link since there from search engines and I don't make very much money from them being at my site, and adding a lot of Pay Per Click listings. Here's a dead link example. (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/cgihjkhj-lohjkfhjcal/abodhjkhjfghdfghdfgjgut.shtml)

Doubled sales just by doing the last two things, seting a record yesterday with 74 items ordered.

Rhea
11-21-2002, 08:24 AM
Hey Nintendo,

The 404 redirect is a neat idea. I think I'll give it a spin, as most of my 404s come from people who are trying to get at my sound files directly. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! I renamed and/or moved most of my sound files this Summer, so now the bandwidth bandits might as well do a little something for me, doncha think? :D

Congrats on doing so well with Amazon! When you're rich and famous are you still going to hang out here with us? ;)

qball0213
11-21-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Nintendo
On second thought, about the count down idea, I think a better idea would be to tell visitors WHY to order online. Here's an example. (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/cgi-local/about.cgi)

Two other things that I've done to increase sales BIG time is redirecting visitors to Amazon when some one goes to a dead link since there from search engines and I don't make very much money from them being at my site, and adding a lot of Pay Per Click listings. Here's a dead link example. (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/cgihjkhj-lohjkfhjcal/abodhjkhjfghdfghdfgjgut.shtml)

Doubled sales just by doing the last two things, seting a record yesterday with 74 items ordered.
How many clicks did you have to send to get 74 orders, just curious.

Nintendo
11-21-2002, 08:39 PM
:::When you're rich and famous are you still going to hang out here with us?

Even if I ever get back up to $100,000 a year I'll still come here, though I don't see that comming back for a very LONG time, if ever!!!!!!!

::How many clicks did you have to send to get 74 orders, just curious.

Because most of my visitors are kids and teenagers, it takes A LOT of clicks for me to get orders, not counting PPC listings, those generate sales more often.

That day got 5,335 clicks.

For the quarter so far...

Unique Visitors: 109169
Clicks: 148126
Items Ordered (Amazon): 574
Items Ordered (Marketplace): 219

Rhea
11-22-2002, 12:04 PM
Thought I'd share what I've done with Nintendo's great idea.

I put one of Amazon's animated holiday graphics on the home page of one of my sites with the following text:Imagine the mall...hot, crowded, noisy. Now, consider doing your holiday shopping online from the comfort of your own home. Ahhhh!

Shipping is free on purchases over $25.00.

Most of my pages are in the root directory, although the sound and image files associated with each page are in individual sub-directories. I put a redirect script in each sub-directory as an index.html file. The redirect sends the visitor to the Outlet page on Amazon. Ideally I'd like to customize each index file so that it sends the visitor to Amazon search results that are topical for the specific page, but that's a whole lot more work than I have time for right now.

And...I'll probably hit the 6.0% tier this weekend! Do I hear a 'woo-hoo'? :D

Nintendo
11-23-2002, 08:55 PM
:::And...I'll probably hit the 6.0% tier this weekend! Do I hear a 'woo-hoo'?

Don't get excited just yet, wait until you do it and can see the resaults of it. I'm not sure how much it helps, since I'm also doing a few other things to bomb them with visitors, PPC and the dead links.

An easy way to generate dead links is to just change the URLs and let the search engines give you a ton of Amazon hits. With in the last day I changed the URLs of around 21,000 files and will be sending Amazon around 5,000 clicks a day because of that. Soon the robots will find out and update the links and then when the Holiday season comes around next year I'll do it again. :D:D:D

Yah, I know, it's mean, but oh well, video game content desn't make very much money these days. I've been geting A LOT of 'Other (Redirect)' sales over the last two weeks. Almost all of these are comeing from either PPC search engine listings or the dead links.

Dead link stats. (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/nintendo/dead_links.gif) Now if only I had started doing this a month ago!! That increase was from changing SSI pages from .html to .shtml. Before that I was geting around 500 error clicks a day.

qball0213
11-23-2002, 09:33 PM
So you are saying you set your 404 to redirect to amazon, then you changed all of your urls, so everything coming from search engines just ends up being redirected to amazon?
Is amazon okay with that? And does that really sound like a good idea?

Nintendo
11-23-2002, 10:06 PM
:::So you are saying you set your 404 to redirect to amazon

It goes to a framed page that has a hidden frame with the stat counter, and Amazon on the right. All they see is Amazon's Game Cube list.

For example: http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/ninteffghmfghmndo/sghmdghtats.shghmdghmtml.shtml

:::so everything coming from search engines just ends up being redirected to amazon?

BINGO!!!$$$!!! :D:D:D

:::Is amazon okay with that?

The last thing there going to get mad at is generating lots of sales. Now if I was geting paid per click, then yes, it would be fraud.

:::And does that really sound like a good idea?

Sure does when you makes a lot more $$$$$ than you get from visitors viewing the content. All the visitors have to do that don't want to shop is press back on the browser, while the others do there Christmas shopping. :D:D:D

Rhea
11-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Ahem. I'll take that 'woo-hoo' now! :D

Of course I don't expect to make it to the next tier this quarter. Maybe if I can figure out how to do a better job of converting clicks to sales I'll be able to pull it off next year.

Gotta tell you though...I never worked this hard for so little money before. This monetizing business is a lot of work.

Nintendo
11-25-2002, 03:25 AM
:::This monetizing business is a lot of work.

You got that right!!! It varies a lot. I can never guess how much I'll make when I do a change because it varies so much. My 74 item record day got 5,335 clicks while on 11/23 I gave them 10,489 clicks and that generated 'only' 60 items, my third best day ever, geting 35 items ordered thanks to the dead link trick that gave them over 7,000 clicks...

*Updated*

while on 11/26 I gave them 9,355 clicks and got 87 items ordered, a new record, with around 60 of the items being ordered from people comming from the dead links in the search engines. Now if only 53 of the items had been expensive stuff instead of books!!!! :D:D:D

Czar
11-26-2002, 10:47 AM
Go you good thing!

Still plenty of festive shopping days to go. Let's see if you can't break the 100-item-a-day barrier and humble us all. :D

Nintendo
11-26-2002, 03:36 PM
Yep, that's my goal. 100 items in one day.

I still can't understand why some people don't even try the sales affiliet programs!! They should atleast try Amazon during November and December, the big money maker months!!!!!

You can bet that I'll start making more Amazon link sites with in a few months!!!! A toy site, music site, movies site, two book sites, tools and hardware site, houseware site, cloths site.....all like the OrderVideoGames site, that uses frames to get them listed in the search engines, around 4,000 HTML framed pages just from that site. I think you can say I'm addicted to the Amazon affiliet program!!!

Rhea
11-26-2002, 07:02 PM
Nintendo wrote:A toy site, music site, movies site, two book sites, tools and hardware site, houseware site, cloths site.....all like the OrderVideoGames site, that uses frames to get them listed in the search engines, around 4,000 HTML framed pages just from that site. I think you can say I'm addicted to the Amazon affiliet program!!!Okay, now I'm a little worried about you. I hope you've budgeted time for some R&R in your plans! ;)

jokearound
11-26-2002, 07:28 PM
Nintendo - I thought framed sites werent spidered by search engines?

Nintendo
11-26-2002, 09:18 PM
<NOFRAMES>
This is what the Search engines use. Links and content goes here. 99.999% of the visitors won't view it, but the search engines will.
</NOFRAMES>

:::Okay, now I'm a little worried about you. I hope you've budgeted time for some R&R in your plans!

Yes, I rest!!! My recreation is doing the internet stuff. I would much rather be doing the internet stuff than going on vacation to Disneyland, Hawaii, or Italy. Now if only I could live a sleepless life!!! :D:D:D

If any of you listen to Rush Limbaugh on the radio or through his web site and hear the parodies, then you've probably hurd one of the domains that I'll be using, for a political/news book store
WeWannaDoAnyThingWeWannaDoAnyTimeWeWannaDoIt.com

Czar
11-27-2002, 03:33 AM
I still can't understand why some people don't even try the sales affiliet programs!! They should atleast try Amazon during November and December, the big money maker months!!!!!Well, I don't know what was the deciding factor; perhaps it was the overload of exclamation marks, or possibly the introduction of web services, but you managed to talk me into the Amazon game this year.

Although I've used them as an affiliate forever (since late 96 or early 97), their creatives never managed to work their way into high-visibility spots or mini-sites until I heard the 64th positive pitch from you. I sure hope they're nice enough to slide a bonus or two your way for all this help. :D
WeWannaDoAnyThingWeWannaDoAnyTimeWeWannaDoIt.comWo w! I can feel the deluge of type-in traffic flowing already. ;) j/k Another candidate for the spiderific Google, no doubt.

Let us know when you do break 100 and we'll pop open a bottle of the good stuff in your honor (as will Mr Bezos).

Rhea
11-27-2002, 08:47 AM
You could get three times the bang for your buck if you break WeWannaDoAnyThingWeWannaDoAnyTimeWeWannaDoI
t.com down to three URLs. Of you could have a master site called wewannado.com. Kinda catchy. Is wannado.com taken?

I don't get my news commentary from Mr. Limbaugh. I get it from NPR!:D

Nintendo
11-27-2002, 10:33 AM
I think they used a very long domain name for that reason, so 99.999% of the people that hear it won't remember it. It's only got 67 views since June last year and it took me a while to get it memorized!!!

::Another candidate for the spiderific Google, no doubt.

On all my store sites I don't even try to generate traffic to the index page or try to get people to link to them, I simply make the framed pages and then let the search engines add them, and yes, Google is the easiest one to get listed in.

ceo
11-28-2002, 03:17 AM
Nintendo,

I wish someday I can make a site exclusive to the Amazon affiliate program and get good sales as yours.
I would like to know what % of your visitors come from what various methods....

I was thinking 90% from Searchengines, and though I see your in the Top 5 for Nintendo for the SE that matters the most, funnily, I also think that's not your 1 st soruce of visitors.

Could you advice. I am thinking on the lines of creating some sites as you were mentioning, but the HUGE, let me repeat HUGE competition is just killing.
Fortunately, I don't sit back but make money other ways that I can, much more easily : )

Nintendo
11-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Yes, search engines are the BIGGEST source, BIG time, thanks to the sites being around so long, one site being around since 1996. For the store sites, that's the only way I try to get people there, using the frame trick. I get the search engines to find it by adding a tiny hidden link on my content sites. My store sites have a much higher conversion rate than the content sites, since most people that go to the content sites are kids/teenagers. Pay Per Click is one way to quickly start geting sales, just make sure you submit A LOT of keywords, if you have it at $.01 per click. I got 12,874 keyword listings in goclick.com for example. I use 7search, FindWhat, and GoClick.

:::but the HUGE, let me repeat HUGE competition is just killing.

If you can get hundreds of files listed in Google, you'll get clicks!!!!

Gracklor
11-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Hmmm....I may have to put together a "shopping site" soon.......

I got 12,874 keyword listings in goclick.com for example. I use 7search, FindWhat, and GoClick.

If you can get hundreds of files listed in Google, you'll get clicks!!!!

I can vouch for Google. Now that I've adjusted my joke site's PHP script to automatically add meta tags to my site's 600+ pages, Google is starting to spider them, and I'm starting to get hits on the content pages. In fact, I think that soon, Google will surpass Yahoo as my site's greatest source of search engine traffic.

Question, though, Nintendo: Around how much do you spend a month in these three search engines?

Nintendo
11-28-2002, 03:20 PM
$2.00-$3.00 a day, Amazon framed links. I have all listing at $.01 which is why it takes so many listings for me to get a few hundred clicks a day, from 7search, FindWhat, and GoClick. Today I'm adding around 4,400 listings to FindWhat, the most populer PPC search engine that I use.

I would probably also be using Xuppa.com and Ban-x.com but there not very friendly when it comes to submiting a ton of listings at one time.

I also use Brainfox.com, but there worth trash when it comes to geting clicks. I got about 10,000 listings there, the max allowed, and have got TWO clicks in the last week, with $597.550 left there!!!!! When I signed up with them they gave you an extra 500% so I gave them $100.00, not knowing I would only get about 2,500 clicks in two years!!!

Anyone here know how much the name of the domain can help generate sales? I registered these domains that will turn into Amazon.com stores.

make-a-kid-smile-buy-toys.com
its-showtime-buy-dvd-movies.com
its-showtime-buy-vhs-movies.com
rock-n-roll-buy-music.com
learn-and-gain-knowledge-have-fun-buy-books.com

and of course the Rush Limbaugh domain that will contain political book links,
WeWannaDoAnyThingWeWannaDoAnyTimeWeWannaDoIt.com :D:D:D

Originally I didn't plan to make book stores, but that changed when I put code book links on all of my code files. Thats giving me up to around 20 books a day being ordered which may not pay very much, unless it's 15%, but it sure does help you get up to the next tir faster, I'm at 6.5% right now.

If I don't get 100 items ordered in one day this year then I sure will when the next holiday season comes around!!! :):):)

Gracklor
11-28-2002, 06:48 PM

Anyone here know how much the name of the domain can help generate sales? I registered these domains that will turn into Amazon.com stores.

make-a-kid-smile-buy-toys.com
its-showtime-buy-dvd-movies.com
its-showtime-buy-vhs-movies.com
rock-n-roll-buy-music.com
learn-and-gain-knowledge-have-fun-buy-books.com

Well, from what I understand, you've already gotten a bit of a head start by registering these domains. I believe that quite a few search engines will view hyphenated domain names as individual keywords. So the domain names themselves should help things out at least a little. :D

Nintendo
11-28-2002, 07:41 PM
I wasn't even thinking about the search engines when I though them up, was thinking about the visitor, trying to give them a reason to buy, for example, buying toys for kids sure makes them smile, make-a-kid-smile-buy-toys.

Nintendo
11-30-2002, 12:44 PM
I did it!!!!!!! Got more than 100 sales in one day. Got 120, didn't even expect to do it on the day after Thanksgiving, since every one was supposed to be out shopping. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Guess the message worked, 'Get your Holiday Shopping done online. No long lines or traffic james, GUARENTEED!!!'

Here's the stats!!!! (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/nintendo/amazon_record_120.gif)

qball0213
11-30-2002, 12:53 PM
What's your average commish per order, I think mine is around a buck or so.

Nintendo
11-30-2002, 10:04 PM
About a doller something. Last year it was about $2.00 but with the Marketplace, and people geting more books, toys and other cheaper stuff ordered it's gone down. It used to be mostly video games, but now less than 25% of the sales are video games because of the PPC and non-video game stuff that I've been doing.

This weekend, using a free script, I edited it so it lets you get links extremely fast. I got around 5,200 non-video game links in about four hours which will be used to make the six web sites. Here's how. (http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/cgi-local/amazon.cgi?input_mode=videogames&input_id=541022&input_templates=1&input_language=1) Copy and paste 10 links, go to next page, copy and paste 10 links, go to next page and so on. It's great when you want a ton of links fast!!!

There's a link at the bottom to download the script. On the main page, ignore the links on the right. On the rest of the pages it lists the category number and links to the category at Amazon using your category code.

Steve_S
11-30-2002, 11:40 PM
A really great thread everyone :) Another "Kodak Moment" in quality. Thanks.

Another way to stick the "MrRat" script right inside your site's look and feel using his template system.

http://www.free-webmaster-tools.com/cgi-bin/fwt_search_1.cgi?input_item=0764536567&input_search_type=AsinSearch

Note the one click pop :)

:angel:

Please consider sending the "Rat" a $$ contribution.

This script is so easy to install and has a new version about every hour or two. </joke>