PDA

View Full Version : How much / cpm?

anile8
09-07-2002, 11:45 PM
I get about 9k uniques / day. An advertiser contacted me asking about advertising rates. What would you suggest / cpm for 468x60 banner, pop-unders, and tower ads? I can't give you the URL because I'm currently running some adult-oriented ads. I'm looking to sell clean advertising space.

PaulT
09-08-2002, 06:57 AM
Hi anile8, to be honest with you, it's practically impossible for us to give you guidelines on what to charge without seeing your site.

I suggest that you remove the adult ads for a little while, and let us see the site.

However, if you decide to re-instate the ads later, I would let Steve_S know, so that he can delete this thread so it does not violate the rules.

Thanks.

Czar
09-08-2002, 07:11 AM
Paul, for your reference, anile8's site is a ROM/Emulation archive.

The URL may not be posted here, due largely to the adult advertising content present on the site, but knowing the genre of site should give you an idea as to the general market demand for said inventory.

Personally, anile8, I'd take whatever I could get for such inventory (if, by chance, all content on the site is legal to distribute - otherwise, shutting it down would be a wiser business decision). Try asking for $0.10CPM for the banners, $0.15 for the scrapers and $1.00CPM for capped pops.

It would also be wise to respond to your interested party as soon as possible. The first time you posted a thread concerning the approach of this advertiser was 8 days ago, and a tardy response could work against you.

anile8
09-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. Don't you think those rates are a little high?

Czar
09-08-2002, 11:30 AM
Not necessarily.

You have to consider here that the advertiser came to you, so they've already expressed an interest in reaching your audience. Given that, and the potential for the advertiser to negotiate a discount off your initial offer, those figures seem reasonable for a site of your type.

It would hardly be worth your time managing and tracking a campaign for less than that, wouldn't you agree?

anile8
09-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Do you think any PHP/MySQL GNU ad serving platform will do?

Czar
09-08-2002, 09:02 PM
Sure.

phpAdsNew is probably the best of the entry-level bunch, and it's available under GPL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpadsnew

Arn
09-08-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Czar

Personally, anile8, I'd take whatever I could get for such inventory (if, by chance, all content on the site is legal to distribute - otherwise, shutting it down would be a wiser business decision). Try asking for $0.10CPM for the banners, $0.15 for the scrapers and $1.00CPM for capped pops.

$0.10 CPM for banner ads?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems very low.

So, it's a ROM/Emulation site. Is the advertiser a targeted market? I assume they have something to do with ROMs/Emu? If so, in my opinion - $.10 CPM is not acceptable.

I find $.10CPM unacceptable for untargetted ads. For targeted, I would expect more.

Now, that being said - if you are making $0.00 on your other ads, then yes, $.10 CPM is better. So, it is a bit relative. What is your avg CPM for your un-targetted ads... because you need to charge more than your untargetted ads for it to be worth the trouble.

arn

anile8
09-08-2002, 10:48 PM
phpAdsNew looks very powerful. Amazing how far open-source can go. I'm sure they could sell this ad serving platform for a pretty penny, but instead they give it out for free. Awesome.

PistolPete
09-09-2002, 10:25 AM
If you set your CPM rate to just .10 your asking for trouble. You might find that your advertisers might not take you seriously.

For an advertiser to be contacting you, it means that they are interested in your TARGETED traffic. Targeted traffic is much more valuable than .10 cpm.

I'd recommend you set your cpm rate to no lower than $1.

PistolPete