PDA

View Full Version : Problem with one of my affiliate

hombz
06-13-2002, 04:31 AM
Hello fellow webmasters,

I received 3 emails already complaining that my site is popuping up to their PC even their browser is close.
I was suprised! :eek: , No idea what is that! so i suspected that one of my affiliate is doing this.
Other problem is, i want to know who is this affiliate but i have thousands of them, thus no idea who this angel :devil: affiliate is, so i tried to ask the complainant that what are the latest software they installed and if they can check what softwares are currently loaded to their PC, but they cannot understand my simple tech question, so they will not answer back.

So probably you are encountering this kind of popup ad even your browser is close, please do let me know if you have any clue what device or software that causing it so i can debug and make appropriate action to this angel :devil: affiliate.

Thank you

Scuba
06-13-2002, 04:58 AM
First make sure that in your TOS you have a statment that disallow using such methods. Also I suggest sending Emails to all of your affeliates about the subject.

If I get you correct, One of your affeliates made it that your page will be opened in PopUp's on clients computers, even if the browser was originaly closed.

If so - the affeliate ID or what ever you are using to track affeliates will probably be embaded in the page that is being opened.
What you need is actually a copy of the HTML code that was opened on the client computer. Then you will be able to see who he is.

Another thing you can do is to create a trap.
contact one of the people who got efected by this problem and ask them to register to your service with a user name and password that you give them. Then check who was the affeliate that need to get creadit for the signup with that user name.
Again you naild him down.

hombz
06-13-2002, 05:40 AM
Thanks scuba!
I emailed the latest complainants and one of them replied to me that he installed a software, and that software name is one of my affiliate. check his email
===========================================

Hi there

Thankyou for such a quick response, I really appreciate it, this all started when I installed guitar fx which I got from this webpage http://www.guitarfxsoftware.com/intro1.htm and now that I think of it the minute I started the application it launched your website and since then I've started having this.

I can follow technical instructions if you want to give me any on how to find this launcher application.

cheers
Ryan
=====================================
That affiliate is now removed in my program.