PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Domain Name Registrar Out There?

sgeler
01-28-2002, 05:14 PM
Hey forum,

What is cheapest domain name registrar service that you ever come across. I am especially interested in reseller programs.

Thx,

Sergei

ccole
01-28-2002, 07:52 PM
godaddy.com is the cheapest I've ever seen. I've never used them before though - I've used 000domains....slightly more expensive, but it has such an excellent system to easily change your records and manage multiple domains, I don't know if I'll switch to godaddy when I register my next domain.

[edit]
Sorry, I should have put the prices. godaddy.com is $8.95, and 000domains.com is $13.50

Edwin
01-28-2002, 07:56 PM
http://www.namecheap.com/ at $8.88 per registration (including a bunch of extra goodies like URL forwarding and email forwarding) is well worth a look in my view.

scottyO
01-28-2002, 10:27 PM
How can register.com charge $35 when these other sites charge $9?

Ex
01-28-2002, 10:29 PM
I personally use

Powerpipe.com ($8.88) - 5 domains here
000Domains.com ($13.50) - 1 domain here
WebDomainguide.com ($14.50) - 1 domain here

The cheapest I've found so far is none other that Powerpipe.com. They have excellent online management services, however, support emails are usually never answered though problems with them so far are ZERO.

Edwin
01-28-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by scottyo
How can register.com charge $35 when these other sites charge $9?

It's called "being early" and "branding" :)

This is, however, why the major registrars are currently losing market share. After all, a domain name is a domain name is a domain name... you don't suddenly have a "better" domain name because you paid $35 for it!

imageproject
01-29-2002, 11:48 AM
I use goDaddy for most of my domain names but I recently got an email from Afternic advertising Namebargain.com ($8.88).

$8.88 must be a magic number for domain name registration.
:)

Aja
01-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Veering just a bit off-topic, but still relevant when choosing a registrar......

I originally registered a domain name with Name Secure because at the time I needed their redirection service (site was sitting on an ISP's server). Recently I needed to change the contact info and was informed that the only way I could do so was with a *notarized* snail-mailed letter - (although they were more than happy to renew my domain name on line just a few weeks prior to this). Other companies (NetSol in particular) only asked for a fax on letterhead to confirm the change.

Granted, I understand the caution that a registrar would take to make sure someone unauthorized would not make changes. But, IMOH, this was beyond the limit and you can be sure that 2 years from now I'll renew with someone else! Am I way off base here, or what?