PDA

View Full Version : $299 Yahoo Listing

dayshumor
01-20-2002, 12:20 PM
I was on SearchEngineWatch the other day and they say that you only have to pay $299 yearly if your site is considered "commercial" If your site is non commercial you only pay the fee once. But if you go to Yahoo and click on "Suggest a Site" for any category they say the fee is "recurring".

Also, what if you have a site that is "commercial" but doesn't necessarily go into the Business/Shopping Category? For example, my new site is about creating a web site. I have some affiliate links scattered throughout, but it does not fall into Yahoo's commercial/business category. It falls into the "Beginner's Guide" section under the Internet category. Is my site still considered commercial? Does anyone know?

It's not clear.

maddeningcrowds
01-20-2002, 04:04 PM
I tried getting my humor sites in without paying but no go

I guess either they don't like my site or they want me to pay because of advertising on my site.

They never contacted me suggesting I pay the fee though....?

darnell
01-20-2002, 05:24 PM
Stuff like this will ensure that Yahoo does not get many good sites added in the future. Just make sure you are listed on Google, that's where all the quality is and web users will figure it out in time.

I say if you want to be on Yahoo and only want to pay once, tell them your site is not commercial and let them tell you it is.

Remember, the more you pay for listings, the more you support the pay-for-search market. And encorage more search engines to do the same. I say avoid paying if you can live without being on Yahoo.

maddeningcrowds
01-20-2002, 06:56 PM
I read an ebook about getting into Yahoo recently. It was raving about converting your $299 into tons of traffic which worked out at "only 10c a visitor".

The humor categories at yahoo are a joke, because us humor webmasters are far too poor to be considering $299 yahoo listing. Compare the number of listings with dmoz.

And another thing which annoys me is they are so harsh about what sites they accept, and yet the commercial categories are full of shocking spam, "!!!000credit cards" etc. I look foward to the day when Yahoo looses top spot for searches....

dayshumor
01-21-2002, 08:28 AM
and what gets me is that they have so many dead links everywhere! If they are going to start charging to get listed in their "elite" directory they could at least clean it up.

Anyway, I was going to submit to the non commercial and pay the $299 but since the rules say "recurring", legally they can still charge me $299 next year as well. Sometimes I wonder if the terms are vague on purpose.