PDA

View Full Version : good but wierd

madaweb
11-28-2001, 07:34 PM
In the last two days I've had two web sites listed in Yahoo!, that's the good part. The wierd thing is that I never submitted them to Yahoo! and I've always thought Yahoo! only listed sites that were submitted for review. Anyone else have that happen to them?

sdarken
11-28-2001, 10:33 PM
Yes, I had that happen once.

When it happened to me it was because I had a site about a person who became popular very suddenly. Yahoo creates new categories and updates topics that suddenly start generating lots of searches. I guess the idea is to make sure that the directory provides lots of relevant results to common searches.

Do you think that this was the case with your website?

madaweb
11-30-2001, 10:41 AM
sdarken
I noticed that in the past if I did a Yahoo! search for these celebrities Yahoo! would defer to Google since they didn't have any listings of their own. Both of my sites were at the top of the Google listings so I'm assuming they're trying to fill all searches with their own results rather than automatically sending them to Google. It's worked out great for me because one of the sites while it was at the top of Google's listings and sending me good traffic, is now the only site listed at Yahoo! and sending more traffic :)

sdarken
11-30-2001, 11:06 AM
It sounds like we both had the same experience.

Yahoo would prefer to feed your results from it's own directory rather than relying on their partner search engine (currently Google). This enables them to sell targetted advertising, sponsored links etc from their category page.