PDA

View Full Version : Overture results in top 3 position in Yahoo!

WebFanatic
11-18-2001, 09:23 AM
Lets start a discussion on this.

How will this affect us?

I think it can only be negative for those who cannot afford to bid on keywords that have already skyrocketed to outrageous per click amounts. All main keyword listings will have dropped a minimum of 3 spots now.

On the other hand, if you have the resources you can quickly place yourself in the top 3 position which should generate many many hits.

All I know is that Overture and Yahoo! will be making a lot of money from this :vpeace:

Lawrence1
12-03-2001, 04:44 PM
it can only be negative for those who cannot afford to bid on keywords that have already skyrocketed

Could be seen as positive or negative. Those who cannot afford to bid on a certain keyword should either not bid, or figure out how much each visitor is worth to them and bid accordingly based on this amount.

This move will cause existing advertisers to re-evaluate and either increase or decrease their Overture budgets.

Lawrence

darnell
12-03-2001, 05:22 PM
As much as I never liked paid search engine listings I guess they have to do something to keep the lights on. Most of them now charge just to be listed and putting $100 on an Overture account for some hits is cheaper than the listing fee with most major search engines. And with Overture you get to place your site where you want it.

I used to think the whole Goto.com concept really ******. But now it has proven to be the best model for a search engine over time. And as much as I dislike all the fees these search engines are charging, I have to respect it. Since it does pay some bills.

The really bad thing is that good sites with little money will not be able to get much traffic. Unless they can grow via word or mouth or some other method.

Hope
12-04-2001, 09:20 AM
I think overture results on the top of search engines is terrible. I work for a non-profit that is currently stuggling to get donations (like all groups). We have no budget for overture listings and I don't see us buying listings any time in the near future. We are losing a lot of people because of it.

Lawrence1
12-04-2001, 12:04 PM
The question to ask is whether or not we would want to either pay a subscription fee to use our favorite search engine (i.e $9.99 per month) or see advertisements (Overture links).

Thoughts?

Lawrence

darnell
12-04-2001, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Hope
I think overture results on the top of search engines is terrible. I work for a non-profit that is currently stuggling to get donations (like all groups). We have no budget for overture listings and I don't see us buying listings any time in the near future. We are losing a lot of people because of it.

This is on the top of Overture.com search results.

Special Note: Overture is placing public service links at the top of the listings at NO cost to the charities.

Maybe you could talk to them about putting you site at the top of the list ;)

Hope
12-04-2001, 06:12 PM
Special Note: Overture is placing public service links at the top of the listings at NO cost to the charities.

I have called them and asked about this. If you are a charity collecting for the Sept 11 terrorist attacks, you can get free listings. If you are an ordinary non-profit, you get nothing. At least some group is getting something out of it.