PDA

View Full Version : Fair or Unfair? Your Thoughts

hammer
10-26-2001, 03:15 PM
As I understand it, GoTo now known as Overture offers Affiliates 2 cents per search. After checking some keyword bids I was able to find one word worth $7.33 for #1 decending to $3.51 for #10.

Does anyone here have any input on this?

I would like to know if Overture offers any other products besides the 2 cents per search option, as in a share of the bid price.

hammer
10-26-2001, 03:23 PM
Sorry for this inline post, but I just got blown out of the Water here...

Just found a $50.00 Keyword on Overture!

Wow!

JohnKelly
10-26-2001, 03:24 PM
I don't beleive their general affiliate program offers a commission plan that includes a share of the bid price like many other PPC sites do. If ones site can send enough traffic or is a big enough brand, I suspect they, like anyone else, might be willing to negotiate on the terms of their commission structure. As a webmaster looking to maximize my earnings, I would use one of the other PPC search sites that are willing to pay a percentage of the bid or even just a higher per click through amount. Regarding the $50 keyword, it is likely a public service ad. More info in this thread (http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13103&highlight=goto).

joma
10-26-2001, 03:52 PM
Overture also pays 2 cents for searches on which there is no bid whatsoever, so IMO their program is very fair.

They'll never offer affiliates a revenue split because of the high incidence of cheating in searchbox affiliate programs. Sprinks does offer a split, and that's the main reasons bids are far lower there than on Overture.

emmzee
10-26-2001, 03:53 PM
Perhaps this has changed (I used Goto.com affiliate program back a few years ago) but I think Goto aka Overture offers $0.02/search regardless of what the person searches for. Overture will make little if any money from many user searches, so that kind of balances out the fact that they will make lots of dough on other searches.

JohnKelly
10-26-2001, 04:13 PM
Yes, in addition to paying 2 cents for searches that do not display paid results, nor requireing a 2nd click, they also pay 2 cents just for you sending a visitor to their main page without a search. So while they do offer this "get paid 2 cents no matter what happens" type deal, I think one can still make more with other PPC engines that either pay more than 2 cents for the first click and/or offer a percentage of the bid - assuming it meets a minimum amount.

defiant
10-26-2001, 06:23 PM
Was that $50 keyword related to WTC victim donations by any chance? It seems fairly obvious to me that Overture's made a private agreement with one of the charities and given them that spot free.

besimple
10-26-2001, 06:33 PM
When dealing with ovoture, you should keep in mind that they have a very high rate of return clickthrus/searches.

OV. brings of so many realistic results that vistors are forced into loving and re-using it....

While in the case of other, high paying ones, you only get a page with ten results that have nothing to do with what you searched for and on top you are scared away by numerous flashing adverts :)

If you know what i mean, the return traffic/searches should compensate for the 2 cent rate..... :)

Besimple :D

hammer
10-26-2001, 06:36 PM
No, the Government is Actually paying $50 for
CIPRO, and Anthrax.

http://www.overture.com/d/search/?type=topbar&Keywords=cipro

http://www.overture.com/d/search/?type=topbar&Keywords=anthrax&Search=Search

JohnKelly
10-26-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by besimple1
When dealing with ovoture, you should keep in mind that they have a very high rate of return clickthrus/searches.

Compared to what? Since the interface is not co-branded it seems any visitor that you send them that is satisfied enough to use them again will likely go back to their site directly the next time. For example, not many people go to Yahoo to get Google results just because they are accessable there when they know they can go to Google directly.

OV. brings of so many realistic results that vistors are forced into loving and re-using it....

While they may be more realistic that other PPC engines, they are far from realistic when compared to non PPC engines. The only forcing on users that is occuring is by major portals who in a search to make money sign agreements to serve often irrelevant Overture results to their users instead of paying a conventional search engine like Google to return more relevant results.

hammer, I doubt the governament is paying that. Overture just prices it that high so no one will try to outbid them. See referenced thread above.

Nintendo
10-26-2001, 07:25 PM
:::No, the Government is Actually paying $50 for CIPRO, and Anthrax.

Look a little closer, it says

'Special Note: Overture is placing public service links at the top of the listings at NO cost to the charities.'

moneyseeker
10-26-2001, 08:04 PM
still waiting my august overtune check..............