PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop questions:

Skystar
09-23-2001, 01:50 AM
Hey how do you put a border around something you are working on in Photoshop? Also, how do you add an image to it? I'm trying to make up 3" x 4" ads to put in an insert that goes into the local freebie newspaper, so I need borders around the ads I am working on, plus I want to add images to these little ads. Thanks -

sdarken
09-23-2001, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't call myself a photoshop expert so someone may have better techniques but here is how I do the things you are asking (assuming I understand your questions properly):

1. To add a border I just select the area which will be inside the border then use the "inverse" function the change the selection to be the border itself:

a) create a new layer (layer/new)
b) use the rectangular (marquee) tool to mark the area which will be within the border
c) use select/inverse - to select the area that will become the border
d) fill the selected area (the border) with the desired color

2. To insert an image into another picture I have always just opened the images to be inserted then I copy and paste the piece of the image (or the whole thing) into the image....

a) open the image to be inserted
b) select the piece of the image to be inserted (use the rectangular (marquee) tool )
c) edit/copy (or "copy merged" if you are inserting part of a layered photoshop file)
d) edit/paste into the image

(These instructions are what I use for Photoshop 5.5)

Aja
09-24-2001, 04:32 PM
I'm a primarily a Photoshop person and secondarily a webmaster.

sdarken, your tip for creating a border is a good one.

Perhaps an easier way to insert an image into another one would be:
1. open both images
2. select the part of the image (or the entire image) that you want to be the insert with the marquee tool.
3. select the "move' tool and (while holding down the alt (PC) or opt (Mac) key, drag the selection onto the background image. (I'm a bit rusty with the PC shortcuts as most of my Photoshop work is on the Mac, sorry)

You may need to resize to fit. Look under "edit' and select "transform" - "scale" and while holding down the shift key (to contrain proportions) resize the selection.

Hope this helps.
Aja

cyburrr
09-25-2001, 09:59 AM
2 other ways to make a border are
#1) select all - stroke (be sure to check off 'inside') border will be the same colour as your foreground colour.

#2) increase the 'canvas size' by the desired number of pixels - do horizontal/vertical by the same amount of pix - and have the background colour set to whatever colour you want the border to be.

Skystar
09-26-2001, 01:26 AM
SDarken - Thank you!

Skystar
09-26-2001, 01:28 AM
And Aja and Cyburrr too!