PDA

View Full Version : All those websites that shut down on Tuesday

demae
09-17-2001, 02:23 AM
On Tuesday when news of the terrorist attacks hit, many websites took down their pages and put up some message saying that the site is down for mourning purposes.

Personally, this behavior confused me. As a webmaster who cares about uptime very much so (I get on my webhost's case if they're down for two hours), I think that taking down the site in this manner is a very bad thing to do.

A couple of fellow webmasters I talked to disagreed; one even seemed offended that I could not understand the motivation for taking down one's website. Perhaps I do not understand because I am not of American culture.

Have I missed an important point?

starluck
09-17-2001, 10:06 AM
It is not a bad thing that some webmasters took down their pages and put up some message saying that the site is down for mourning purposes.

Just as the Stock Exchange has been closed for almost a week, all baseball and football games cancelled. Plus countless other forms of entertainment and events cancelled. The loss of income to the above businesses/sports is in the billions of dollars and by their own choosing. All this was out of respect to those that suffered loss because of the tragic events.

So what's more important than money and websites? Life. This is not just American culture. It's the culture of most countries. There are only one culture on earth where death has higher value than life. That is the terrorist culture. So I don't believe its a reflection of your culture unless you sympathize with terrorists.

Perhaps, maybe you haven't been touched personally by any such tragedies. Sometimes its difficult to understand til you've been through it. Thank goodness it is not the case, but if it was any of your family or close friends in that attack, you would clearly understand the reasons.

Lil_Red
09-17-2001, 11:11 AM
Very eloquently said Starluck.

Many webmasters did various things to show their respect for the losses suffered on 9/11. I don't think it is a cultural thing to pay respect for the loss of life and the injuries suffered. Many websites did different things to show their respect at the loss from putting a mourning message to replacing advertising with links to the Red Cross and other disaster relief organizations.

SSacobie
09-26-2001, 07:05 AM
On the other hand, we needed to get on with our lives. Not running TV programs, not having sports, not running websites, shutting down many schools and businesses, stopping all air traffic, and basically in many respects closing down the country for a period of time says we weren't doing that. We should show our respects to the dead and the living who must cope, but should it be at the expense of letting the terrorists accomplish one thing they wanted to accomplish (making us fear and stop living)?

I found that keeping the site up actually turned out to be theraputic for many people. The community was all over the tragedy and attempting to help comfort each other and somehow make sense of what had happened, as I'm sure every other web community that happened to be active that day was.

I don't think either taking it down or not keeping it up is necessarily bad. People grieve in their own way.

demae
09-26-2001, 06:33 PM
Thanks Shane. You eloquently worded what I was thinking but couldn't quite put it into words.