PDA

View Full Version : confused by acronyms

scottyO
08-03-2001, 07:33 AM
I have been reading these forums for some time now, but I am still somewhat of a newbie and this is my first post. I am confused by all of the acronyms used to describe the different types of advertising programs. I hear:
CPM
CPC
CPA
CPS
EPC
EPM
Etc…
While I have figured a few of them out by the context they were used in, I still don’t know others. Anybody care to help me out? Feel free to add to my list :)

AK
08-03-2001, 08:13 AM
CPM: Cost per 1000 ad displays. If you run an ad campaign for $5 CPM, you'll get $5 for each 1000 banner impressions you show.

CPC: Cost per click. You receive a fixed (usually) amount, say $.40, every time someone clicks on a banner.

CPA: Cost per action. You get paid when a visitor clicks on a link on your site, and then performs some kind of action (fills out a form, downloads a program) on the advertiser's site.

CPS: :confused: (Cost per sale???)

I've only seen these two at Commission Junction:

EPC: Earnings per 100 clicks. Used as a way to tell how well the different CPA programs convert clicks into leads.

EPM: Earnings per 1000 impressions.

Then there's also CTR, meaning click-through ratio. If one out of 100 visitors clicks on a certain banner, the CTR for that banner is 0.01 (or 1%).

Czar
08-03-2001, 08:57 AM
Welcome to Geek/Talk, scottyo :)

Thanks for the great explanations, AK. And yes, CPS is representative of 'cost per sale', which is virtually the same as CPA except that the action involves a completed monetary transaction.

If you (or anyone else) has any other 'newbie' questions of this type, don't hesitate to ask. Although the regulars here make a habit of talking in shorthand, it's always great to see a thread such as this arise every now and then to clarify the mumbo-jumbo.

LastActionHero
08-03-2001, 09:37 AM
Maybe there should be a sticky thread about this? :)

WildComputer
08-03-2001, 09:55 AM
I made a very big glossary
http://www.marketingapprentice.com/dictionary
(sorry rest of the site is not finished yet but the glossary is)

I made a small glossary a long time ago
http://www.hits4me.com/art_gloss.asp

EPC and EPM - are unique to CJ (they made up these terms as far as I know) , and don't yet appear in either of my glossaries

Hope this helps