PDA

View Full Version : CJ Results - July

Czar
07-28-2001, 02:03 AM
The Open Marketplace promised to improve average conversion ratios across-the-board, while assisting both advertisers and publishers associated with CJ to maximize their ROI, an minimize their time spend administering an account.

Well, since it rolled out, some affiliates have been hounded by administrative hassles, extended reporting delays, been forced to negotiate massive lists of temporarily deactivated advertiser accounts, and seen slipping revenues.

Personally, I've seen my EPC drop from a 3-monthly figure of $3.81 down to a 7-day figure of just $0.51 - despite the fact that I've allocated increased inventory to merchants that are apparently leading converters.

This is not intended as a direct criticism of CJ, since we all know that much of the onus in placed on the publisher insofar as increasing conversions in concerned. Nevertheless, I thought that it may make for interesting reading to see just how the greater publisher ranks are finding their results in the wake of CJ's sweeping system changes.

So please plug an anonymous vote in the informal poll above if you are a CJ member. The results may or may not be representative of the entire CJ population, but should be of value to those looking to maximize the value of their inventory.

Those who are doing well, please chip in with tips as to how you used the Open Marketplace and/or other techniques to boost your conversion ratios.

tradermcduck
07-28-2001, 03:35 AM
This poll is a good idea! I think many of us were not able to boost their revenue...

From my point of view EPC is relatively (note: I wrote relatively) worthless! It is a good tool to detect shaving advertisers but that is more or less all. Someone using ppc search engine traffic will get a very high EPC with a sponsor (e. g. $65). A content site using that sponsor with a banner will get a lower EPC (e.g. $2)...

However the biggest problem with CJ is their PUBLISHER SUPPORT!!! My payment status for June is stuck ("...currently processed. Check back tomorrow.."). The last three days I emailed 4 different adresses several times and got NO response so far! I am a member for almost a year now - I earned them at least $1000 - I am in the "95th percentile and above"...

WildComputer
07-28-2001, 06:05 AM
Some other comments

- On the publisher side I boosted my EPC dramatically in June - by removing some dead links which were getting traffic, and taking most CJ ads out of banner rotations (i.e. they are in targeted text links). They are getting much less traffic from me - but better quality

- Some good advertisers have left CJ - FindWhat, MoreOver :(

- The above 2 means my CJ earnings are kind of joke even though my EPC is up. I'm very much concentrating on other programs now... CJ is down from maybe 10% of my activity to < 1%. I know that I'm showing less than 10% of the impressions in July that I've show in previous months...

Slightly Off topic - CJ have made one horrible change - when you get the message saying an advertiser quit it gives you a web page which you must log in to see the list. Before it use to include the name of the advertiser in the message -- the web page is good --- but why can't they include the name of the advertiser in the message

Back on topic - I wonder how accurate these EPCs are:

As of yesterday, on the merchant side
- Hits4me.com's 3 month EPC shows as $3
- Hits4me.com's 7 day EPC shows as $0.00
I was down for a while (as members to this forum know - I preannounced it), but has now been back for a while and IS tracking leads (they show in my transaction logs), and the 7 day EPC doesn't go back up. It doesn't seem to get recalculated (!?)

Back off-topic - I don't want to announce that Hits4me's back via CJ's messaging or CJ's email, as I've had some problems with my account (they incorrectly billed me) which started as a result of this and have been going on since July 1st - and still are not resolved!

Jan
07-28-2001, 06:48 AM
Wildcomputer, I think you might still have a problem. I took your link of a few pages but there is still one, (where I hoped it would pay off)

I clicked on it to get a 'free site analysis' and have filled in monthly uniques and monthly page views three times and keep getting error message

"Please correct these Errors, then press OK

1. You must enter a number of monthly visitors

2. You must enter a number of monthly page views"

I don't know how far CJ follow these through, but that might explain things ????

WildComputer
07-28-2001, 07:09 AM
I just tried the form and it works. Change 0 in the field into some number, that's what it's asking for

I'm not saying there are never any problems with my forms, but they work at least as well as before as it's the same code but on a faster server + connection. Also I recorded a whole bunch of new leads right up to now, including in my CJ transaction log (i.e. I've paid for them)

So I am tracking leads, it is working, but the EPC is not going back up.

Jan
07-28-2001, 07:16 AM
I DID change the number from 0 .....to a rough estimate of monthly uniques and page views.

<edit> An afterthought. As mentioned in another thread I am not doing CJ after end of July, so no problemo. I just thought I would give it one last shot in the two days left to see if my balance would move up at least one cent in weeks</edit>

WildComputer
07-28-2001, 07:35 AM
Jan - Can you send me a screenshot of what you have on the form Hit ALT+PrintScreen and paste into your email or paint program. If there is an issue on this form (a) I want to know, and (b) it's not stopping most of the leads going thru CJ as I have tracked a whole bunch of new leads in CJ (including via this form) in the last few days

dbcooper
07-28-2001, 12:25 PM
>Personally, I've seen my EPC drop from a 3-monthly figure of $3.81 down to a 7-day figure of just $0.51 - despite the fact that I've allocated increased inventory to merchants that are apparently leading converters.

Same kind of thing happening here Czar. I've dropped from around $3 to $1.6. I had good relationships with several of the merchants that were CPC (high clicks, they checked me out, no fraud) and they've emailed me and promised to work out something that would return me to the same effective CPM.

Nintendo
07-28-2001, 04:37 PM
My 3 month EPC is 79 cents, and 7 days EPC is $1.73. That's gone up just because my eBay leads have exploded in the last three months, going up each month, making from $200, to $500, to $1,000. (Been adding thousands of ebay links over the last three months.)

Jan
07-29-2001, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by WildComputer
Jan - Can you send me a screenshot of what you have on the form Hit ALT+PrintScreen and paste into your email or paint program. If there is an issue on this form (a) I want to know, and (b) it's not stopping most of the leads going thru CJ as I have tracked a whole bunch of new leads in CJ (including via this form) in the last few days

I just tried to access the page from my CJ link but it couldn't be found :( I will again later.

<edit> Over four hours of trying periodically, I still can't access the site </edit>

dot_com
07-29-2001, 12:13 AM
I have Given up on CJ. I have sent them a couple emails, and i never get a reply, so i am not using them anymore...

sdarken
07-29-2001, 02:11 AM
Very interesting thread Czar.

I think it is unfortunate that the click-through programs have been phased out at roughly the same time that the new open marketplace changes were introduced as the net result for a huge number of webmasters like us is that our returns have generally dropped substantially. Lets face it. Despite all the talk about CPA/CPS being the way of the future, it is much harder for a webmaster to be successfull with these sorts of programs than it is to be paid for click throughs.

That having been said, I think that the ability to identify dud programs is a huge plus for webmasters who use CJ. When evaluating merchants (assuming they have been running for at least a few weeks), it is possible to immediately determine whether it is likely to be worth the trouble to add & monitor links for a given merchant. I also really like the ability to view the banners & links ranked by EPC/EPM. This feature is great for both merchants and webmasters since it maximizes returns without the need to run extensive experiments to try and figure out the best links/banners.

By the way, in my opinion I think that focusing on your own EPC is a real waste of time. Does it matter whether I made my $50 from 10 clicks or 100 clicks? No. My 3 month EPC is $3.77 and my 7 day EPC $2.35 but my EPM this month is $0.07 and that is the figure that really shows how effective my CJ programs have been recently. (Not very impressive.)

<off topic>
Could someone explain what it really means when a link is expired. This is what I usually get via mail when a link expires...

Link id xxxxxx is set to expire approximately xx days from today. While this link will still be tracked, we recommend that you replace this link with one of newer links.

If I want, can I continue to use an expired link? Will I get paid for leads generated via expired links? I recently changed some Ebay search boxes (interactive links) when the original search box expired. The result has been horrible and I would like to continue using the expired link
</off topic>

CJ is not perfect but in my opinion it certainly has to be considered one of the best companies out there in todays tough market.

WildComputer
07-29-2001, 05:34 AM
Jan - I think that is a CJ problem not me (you said you're going via the CJ link) as my web server shows no breaks in activity during the last day. My telecoms provider was having a problem earlier in the week but these have been solved since Thursday and my site and connection have been up continuous since then. I know CJ have had a similar (???) problem with their stuff as I read that on another message board.

sdarken - expired links still track leads etc provided the merchant is still with CJ. I believe.

Jan
07-29-2001, 05:44 AM
Okay I just tried to get in from here and page still won't open??? :rolleyes:

If you can spare a couple of minutes to fill out a couple of very short survey forms, we'll write (for free of course) a Totally Personal Report
for you (12 pages of expert tips and advice) about your web site, and ways you can get more traffic and/or increase earnings. Also included with this offer, is a free subscription to our Site Profits E-mail Newsletter.

If you want take up this offer, just go to:
http://www.hits4me.com/siteprofit.asp

Oh and if it is a CJ problem, can't you take the issue up with them? That must be severely limiting your sign ups and annoying affiliates.

Yet another edit

This link (ID snipped)
http://www.hits4me.com/custom/joke.asp?vote=****
'nearly' opens in Netscape, but there is a javascipt error. In IE page cannot be found.

WildComputer
07-29-2001, 09:30 AM
I just can't duplicate the problem you're seeing Jan. I opened both pages you mentioned via London dial-up and remotely via a server in MA USA. I am tracking new leads, including via CJ. Since your 6am post I tracked about 20 or so via CJ's affiliates

Any JavaScript problem is not related to CJ, but I don't see it

Any problem on the qksrv/CJ links is a CJ problem (some of the ads links go thru to that siteprofit page) and I believe I read there is a problem with CJ's telecoms provider (Exodus?), I read it on a message board. I never replicated this problem myself though - just heard it 2nd hand

BTW if there is a telecoms problem at CJ, I'm not real hopeful of them talking to me about it directly... presumably it affects a lot of people, my last problem with CJ took them from August to Feb to resolve - and I've had an open issue [not related to tracking or accessibility] with them since July 1st - with no sign of movement or resolution despite repeated my many follow-ups

Archbob
07-29-2001, 11:44 AM
No te Gusta la open marcado.

Actually Cj never worked that well for me and pay-per-search engines don't exist anymore, they are all pay-per-click-thru.

Headshop
07-29-2001, 05:25 PM
I had some pay per click side deals at Cj.com but as of the first of August these links will all come down. I'll just keep doing my own thing doin deals on my own.

JP Sauve
07-29-2001, 05:49 PM
:angry1:

As an affiliate, CJ's changes have caused me nothing but trouble. CJ represented about 50% of my affiliate income mostly from CPA programs. Most of them have left without launching new programs or have drastically reduced conversion and payout. My EPC might look good because I do well with the few CJ programs I still advertise but my total CJ income is SIGNIFICANTLY less.

On the merchant side, I also dislike open marketplace. EPC is such a bad means of showing how much an affiliate SHOULD earn from a program. Of course a high paying per sale program with generally targeted traffic will produce a high EPC. But if a general audience type humor site advertises that program, they won't generate nearly the same EPC, maybe even an EPC of zero!

I hate playing the EPC game. While Prize-O-Matic's affiliate program was still strong there, we had a fair EPC. What happened? Affiliates with bad traffic flooded our site thinking they'd earn the same EPC and the only thing that happened is our network EPC dropped from the bad traffic. Should I dump these affiliates? They aren't cheating, but they are pushing affiliates away from us because they are brining down our EPC. Doesn't really seem fair to them or us.

I know that CJ did what they had to do to survive, but really thanks for nothing.

JonPKibble
07-29-2001, 08:31 PM
I guess I am the only affiliate that's had good experiences that has decided to post here.

July has been my best performing month. I was able to weed out the bad programs and try new programs with less guesswork before determining whether to keep them or not.

If I try a new program, EPC lets me determine whether they are worth promoting long term.

I am getting $5+ EPC's on quite a few programs and am doing very well with CJ. If you are one of those who is still crying about PPC, well, what can I say - internet marketing is getting smarter and more cost effective, time to get with the program. Internet economy hasn't stopped growing despite what people think. It is getting smarter and paying for results.

It is easy to sit and complain but it takes committment to roll with the punches and make the best of it, and realize there is a space to capitalize on something great.

"A pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity while an optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity."

FreeFun
07-29-2001, 09:57 PM
I have had a good July with CJ. My 7 day epc is over $11, up from a 3 month epc of $9, and my earnings are double what they were in June.

I never used any of the cpc programs that CJ offered, rather I concentrated on very targeted cpa ads, both leads and sales. If I didn't have the audience for a particular offer I created the audience.

I really don't credit the availability of the new Open Marketplace with my numbers. I was, however, able to find some new merchants that seem to convert quite well and I plan on creating the audience for these programs begining August 1.

Regards,
Tim

Jan
07-31-2001, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by WildComputer
I just can't duplicate the problem you're seeing Jan. I opened both pages you mentioned via London dial-up and remotely via a server in MA USA. I am tracking new leads, including via CJ. Since your 6am post I tracked about 20 or so via CJ's affiliates

Any JavaScript problem is not related to CJ, but I don't see it

Okay, I finally managed to get into your site and finish the form, but the problem arose from typing in 100,000 and it doesn't like commas. I tried to get in last night to inform you, but geektalk was down :eek:

Maybe you could put a 'no commas please' in the form ;)

WildComputer
07-31-2001, 06:27 AM
Jan - your wish is my command

BTW myy 7-day EPC is finally showing something that is probably a valid number

Jan
08-02-2001, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Czar

This is not intended as a direct criticism of CJ, since we all know that much of the onus in placed on the publisher insofar as increasing conversions in concerned. Nevertheless, I thought that it may make for interesting reading to see just how the greater publisher ranks are finding their results in the wake of CJ's sweeping system changes.

Czar I think the votes are cast!!! We all do our darndest to promote but nothing is happening. One has only to look at the previous cj threads to know there is a problem.

So where does the problem lay? Everyone was making money (some big, some little) before they changed their policies in June.

I think we need Todd back to see these results.

If you are with cj and haven't yet contributed to the poll, please do and it might just sway the vote in a different direction, but at present it isn't looking real good.

WildComputer
08-02-2001, 10:12 PM
I'd like to change my vote from open market place has no effect to making nothing.

As I said previously I stripped out some dead links, removed some general links, and went to targeted text + very few banners.

This temporarily raised by 7 day EPC from about $3 (i.e. $0.03 per click) to about $6 (i.e. $0.06)

My EPC has now fallen to $0.29 - i.e. 1/3 of a cent per click

For me - thank heavens for other networks + programs, especially ClickBank

For CJ -if every affiliate is seeing falls in their earnings, CJ earns less money too. I wonder if the increased transaction charges are enough to compensate? I wonder if CJ's plan to reach profitability this year is still on track. Anybody know?

harry
08-03-2001, 07:37 PM
Czar

I can imagine that the folks of CJ wouldn't be happy to go through this thread ;)

But seriously the current results of this poll don't surprise me at all. It just tell us that the "principle" of 5/95 still live well in the affiliate marketing, unfortunately. 5% of affiliates generate 95% of the revenues to merchants. And this is not limited to CJ, but still apply to the whole affiliate market and other networks, I guess.

IMHO, the best way to improve the 5/95 is to educate both affiliates and merchants and provide them with tools allowing them to conduct affiliate marketing as a serious successful business.

As to CJ's EPC, I think its too early to make any qualified conclusion. Maybe we need to wait till December to get a clear picture of the effect of the so called open market place.

We should be prepared for more changes, mostly positive, when it comes to affiliate networks. After all this, its my firm belief that the affiliate market shall emerge victorious.

Lets hope next week will bring us some happy news. You can never tell ;)

All the best,

Harith
http://www.danex-exm.dk

WildComputer
08-05-2001, 06:44 PM
Correction/Update: My EPC has gone back up ($12 now), so I guess the drop was an anamoly. Since June, the traffic I'm sending to CJ is much lower (because of my choices, nothing to do with CJ(, so maybe I should expect some wild fluctuations (small numbers mixed with an element of chance)

jefff
08-06-2001, 05:32 AM
The open marketplace has helped me weed out the bad performers, and find good alternatives. My income has increased as a result.

My EPCs:
3 month: $10.27
7 day: $12.23
This month: $24.87

I made $600 in July, which was twice my previous best month.

I'm expecting my income to double again this month.

Czar
08-06-2001, 06:14 AM
Those are very impressive results, jefff.

Congratulations, and welcome to Geek/Talk :)

Uneek
08-08-2001, 01:43 PM
My question is if the pay rate is still the same? For example, if there is a program that pays $1.00 for 1 lead, and you get 100 leads for that month, but your EPCs are very low, would that affect what you earn, or is the hole EPC thing just like the CPM thing CJ had to calculate how much you would earn if you where running it in CPM. In other words would the EPC matter at all? Change the price of what you earn etc...

strongcat
08-09-2001, 04:30 AM
Just found that IWonGear has terminated its affiliate program at CJ. I don't know which program I'm gonna try right now. *crying*

Dave-AHFB
08-09-2001, 07:32 AM
Many people are finding great success contacting ex- CJ advertisers on thier own. I have made contact thus far with 1 current CJ advertiser, informing them I will not be able to push thier product while they are at CJ, giving a link to the CJ forums and explaining the reasons why I have dropped all CJ merchants. I now have a private deal and CJ has lost out. I would not do this to other programs as I have more respect for others than I do for CJ.

This was my trial and it was a success, I will now be contacting all current CJ advertisers explaining why I have dropped them and offer a flat rate if they still wish to advertise, I will do the same for ex CJ advertisers that have not reappeared on a better network.

Dave

harry
08-09-2001, 08:13 AM
Hi Dave

"I have made contact thus far with 1 current CJ advertiser, informing them I will not be able to push thier product while they are at CJ, giving a link to the CJ forums and explaining the reasons why I have dropped all CJ merchants."

Would you be kind to elaborate on your reasons for not being able to push merchants products while they are at CJ?

Thanks!

Harith

Dave-AHFB
08-09-2001, 11:14 AM
It is my opinion that CJ has lost all credibility, blaming publishers for this, merchants for that, and they are perfect. I have tried being respectful to get problems solved and have been ignored, told it was the merchants fault blah blah. After contacting the merchant and finding out CJ owes them money and what I was told by CJ was completely wrong. The only way to get anywhere is to yell and scream, and this got me banned, as well as the other "whistle blowers"(note: those of us banned have received great support from other members, and these members have repetedly suggested to CJ to do the right thing, without success). I have documented proof which I have filed away which shows CJ tried to manipulate public perception the other day during the CJ/cashpile. Lex ATTEMPTED to pick and choose the questions and to have cashpile delete questions he was not comfortable with. When Eric decided no more deletes, 14 minutes later Lex gave a thank you and left. Again, I have it all documented, this is not an I have this opinion, he has that opinion deal. I am not saying Lex left for this reason, but it was 14 minutes later, you can make up your own mind if it was coincidence or not.

Something else to consider, besides many of the $$$$$ publishers leaving in large numbers, so are advertisers. CJ usually maintained approx 1500 merchants. Since jan 1, over 1300 have left, since July 1 over 800, since aug. 1 nearing on 300. (these #s are taken from a CJ post yesterday and I have not verified them). Many are ppc merchants which has been cancelled, but many are quality PPA type merchants.

As I always say, you should do your own research and make your own decisions. Many have researched, and many have left, publishers and merchants alike.

Dave

Dave-AHFB
08-09-2001, 11:16 AM
Just to clarify, I will still push merchants that are at CJ, but I will not do it thru CJs system. They can make a private deal with me, or they can find another site to advertise on.

Dave

jefff
08-09-2001, 11:52 AM
I'm amazed at the number of people who are having problems with CJ's tracking at the moment.

Maybe I'm just lucky that the merchants I use aren't affected by the tracking problems. For the last few weeks CJ's tracking seems to be the best it's ever been.

Bassmaster
08-09-2001, 01:25 PM
CJ is still the leader out of all the networks. The vast majority of advertisers leaving have been piddly ones, that don't produce real commissions. I haven't seen one negative effect from all the recent CJ changes. Tracking is better than ever and checks are never late.

Really the only affiliates I've seen running for the door have been smaller ones(who think they are larger because of the easy to obtain $$$$$ rating) Most larger affilates simply don't reply(less competition) or support CJ.

The CJ boards have become a trollground for whining and crying about people not making thousands from 30 clicks sent to CJ advertisers. Well if you're only sending 30 clicks a day to your advertisers, you can't expect to see alot, and if your pushing programs that only push other affilate programs then you're spinning your wheels.

It blows me away to read all of the CJ bashing of late. Especially that scene at Cashpile the other day.
For the record:
I completely stand behind CJ and all their recent changes. Having been with them since the beginning, I have never had an issue that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction(and I'm picky). While I've had to alter my strategy a couple of times(changing adverisers, etc.), we are still doing a very respectable amount every month. No other network compares.

</cheerleading>

I suggest to all the affiliates leaving to look thru all the advertisers at CJ closely. There are some goldmines that alot of people just overlook.

Good Luck

cagey
08-09-2001, 07:24 PM
CJ currently shows 1252 advertisers active in their system.

Like jefff, I have seen no ill effects from Cj tracking.

I think part of the reason for all of the recent reports of tracking problems is CJ's elimination of the PPC payment model. Some affiliates were used to the instant gratification and easy verification of getting paid per click, and the reality of .5% conversion ratios and 30% chargebacks for pay per sale programs was a real slap in the face.

Also, I think the mass migration to the pay per sale programs also revealed a bunch of less than honest advertisers (and a few clueless ones), who had managed to fly under the radar in more tranquil times.

Dave-AHFB
08-09-2001, 07:40 PM
When PPC left it had absoluteky no effect on me, I mad about $2.00 a month from cpc, My site has always been set up for CPA, until today ( i am now running just 2 ads, until I get a new script) I will also be replacing my sales pages soon, which are all but gone. I would also beg to differ on the quality of merchants and publishers that have left, I have spoken with many 4 and 5 $ publishers that have left, and seen many many more posts of those "saying" they were leaving. Usually you will not see many 1, 2, or 3 $ publishers that post.

Dave

Taz
08-09-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Bassmaster

</cheerleading>

Error:Syntax error found the closing tag for 'cheerleading' was found however its counterpart the opening tag for 'cheerleading' was not found... We suggest you fix this so browser will be able to reconise your 'cheerleading' command and thus repersent it to your viewer.

Bassmaster
08-09-2001, 10:18 PM
I guess now you see why I use Dreamweaver. :)

JonPKibble
08-09-2001, 10:23 PM
Why are you crying. There are hundreds of good CJ programs out there. The program does not promote itself. You must be a good affiliate marketer and promote it properly.

LastActionHero
08-10-2001, 06:18 AM
Hmm Jon,
I have seen a lot's of post where you have said that "you can make lot's of money using cj" espcially about pay per sale. I would be happy to know how you promote your CJ programs on your website. Do you do a write up on them ? Insert text links in your actual content? I don't want to know what program you use because obviously they may not do well on my site but just how you promote them.

Thank You.

Dave-AHFB
08-10-2001, 07:52 AM
I would not call Bassmaster a cheerleader, although there are plenty that will regardless of the situation. I am glad to see bassmaster doing well as well as all the others that fall into the 25% not affected. I would be much more impressed if the #s for the poll were reversed and those with improved profits were in the majority.

I will however say, to say everything is allright at CJ is completely wrong. Look at the poll, it tells a story. I know several people may have been ppc and that is the reason for the drop in revenue. But do not assume that it is the soul cause for the "whining".

I do not want to bring down the quality of the geekvillage forums, this is a respectful place, the flaming shoud be saved for the CJ forums, where disrespect is more the norm.

I am out of this thread, so as to not bring down the tone furthur. Again, do your own research, and make your own decisions. But do so intelligently.

Dave

JonPKibble
08-10-2001, 11:04 AM
I find it amusing that people are blaming CJ for their own failures.

I would prefer not to directly list what merchants I use as that would not only not guarantee you results (many people tell me the ones that work for me do not work for them, and that's true) but would defeat the purpose. You have to learn how to find a merchant that is good for you, through trial and error, like I did.

There is no easy road to financial freedom.

You cannot become the top 5% of affiliates on CJ by copying others.

harry
08-10-2001, 02:39 PM
Hi Folks

As you might have noticed, this CJ poll has started on July 28 and up till now 87 geeks have voted. Tomorrow Saturday August 11, this poll will be 2 weeks old.

As expected, people are still divided when it comes to recent changes in CJ.

Now that CJ have had its 5 minutes of fame on geek/talk ;) , I wish to see similar, but of course not the same, polls to get an idea about the situation of affiliates at the other major networks Be Free and LinkShare. This way we shall have something to compare.

Wish you all a great weekend.

Harith

Dave-AHFB
08-10-2001, 03:20 PM
I find it amusing that people are blaming CJ for their own failures.

Just because CJ is failing does not mean the affiliates that left are failing. Many of us are more than making up for any losses elsewhere.

Dave

Knut
08-10-2001, 07:37 PM
Before the changes CJ was by far my top earner.

Now they're _way_ down on my list... (Still a $$$$$ affiliate on
both my accounts, but that doesn't really mean much...)

Luckily I've been able to compensate with other income sources and it seems I'll have an "all-time high" month in August in terms of affiliate income :-) (It took me more than a month to be able to compensate for the "loss" in CJ earnings, though)

Personally, I mostly used CJ for "low-value" CPA programs and CPC, and this is the reason why I saw this huge drop in income from them. (I do more CPS programs now than I ever did before, but none of them are on CJ)

I'm sure it's very possible to still do great with CJ, and I think those mainly using CJ for CPS programs weren't as much affected by the changes as the rest of us. (In fact, I'm thinking about going through their merchants one of these days to see if I can find some good CPS/high-value CPA programs.)

So, overall I do better than I ever did before, but the changes forced me to "break out" from the "comfort zone" CJ had provided for me from the 1st day I became an affiliate of theirs :-)

JonPKibble
08-10-2001, 07:46 PM
I definitely see why the cheap cost per lead programs could not survive on CJ. That was because of CJ changing rates. Low paying high converting programs.

HOWEVER....

These programs are usually not that profitable for their owners, and often they are repackaged CJ offers in themselves.

Now that these have left, CJ has a much cleaner atmosphere.

I think another network would definitely be a great enviornment for these now "homeless" programs but the problem is no other network really has good tracking or reliability. Compare CJ's reliability to Clickxchange, linkshare, fineclicks, shareasale, and affiliate fuel. CJ is the clear winner. Affiliate Fuel looks pretty good though. Some are OK but none too special.