PDA

View Full Version : How to get into yahoo?

Archbob
07-27-2001, 02:33 PM
I have submitted my site to yahoo about 4 times in the past year and a half and have never even gotten a reply. I show up on their search results b/c of google. I followed all their rules each time and have never gotten reviewed. How do you guys get into yahoo?

Jack
07-27-2001, 03:02 PM
First, check out this page and scroll down to section 3.0: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/suggest/terms.html

That is the terms of service for the paid Yahoo! submission service but it also contains exactly what Yahoo! is looking for in a web site. Make sure you meet all critera.

I strongly recommend paying for Yahoo!'s paid submission service if you feel you can make back $199.00 in a reasonable amount of time from the listing in Yahoo! You not only will get a response in about a week but you also have two chances to get in (you get an appeal which gives you time to correct what they say is wrong with your site if you are turned down the first time).

There really is no magic bullet to getting into Yahoo! Just follow what they require and you will have a high chance of getting in.

sdarken
07-27-2001, 03:51 PM
Archbob, If you are trying to get your freebie site into Yahoo without paying for it, I think it is unlikely that you will get in and even if you pay you may not get in.

Yahoo will not accept every site. They are are looking for sites with "substantially different" content from the sites that they already have in their directory. There are so many freebie sites that they will not list them all.

It would be nasty if you pay to be listed and they still reject you but it is a distinct possibility.

Good luck.
- Simon

Archbob
07-27-2001, 06:26 PM
Well I think $199 is a bit overkill for a site submission, so I try to get into dmoz.org .

webstuff4free
07-28-2001, 10:41 AM
Another problem is that although you have your own domain name you are just using a frame to cover the fact you are using a free host. Many directories are not keen on listing sites hosted on free servers.

jeff
08-03-2001, 12:34 PM
please try any search engine submition software such as pageSubmit. Your site will always list in most of search engine within a month.

FreemanTech
08-07-2001, 09:54 AM
:) :) :) :)

YEAH! I MADE IT!

I just did a search for FREE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER GAMES at Yahoo and I am on the first page of Web Page Listings!

Now, if only I could get up there under just GAMES.......

webstuff4free
08-07-2001, 02:08 PM
jeff, I wouldn't recommend any automated submission software. It is always best to hand submit to the major engines. Besides they don't like the automated scripts very much and engines like Altavista have taken positive steps to block them (the ransom note).

Bladerunner, if you are in coming in on the first page of the web page listings at yahoo you are doing well at google not because you are listed at yahoo - still it is still a good achievement.

Jason

Archbob
08-12-2001, 04:38 PM
I'm on almost every search engine, just not very high up and I'm in alot of small directories although not in directories such as yahoo, looksmart , or dmoz, I just want in on some of those directories. I can' afford 7.77/month for paid hosting yet.