PDA

View Full Version : Should I submit to Yahoo now?

DJ_B
08-21-2000, 07:59 PM
I will be launching my site in 2-4 weeks. I know Yahoo takes forever to review a site, so I am wondering if I should submit my site to them now? After one submits their webpage, to they have a bot that comes by and checks the URL just to make sure there is a site there? If not, is it wise to submit to them now? Thanks in advance!

mtgm
08-21-2000, 08:37 PM
I would wait until your site is up and fully functional. If there is zero content on your site at the moment, and for some (odd) reason Yahoo! is able to review your site within the next couple of days, you just lost yourself a couple hundred dollars for nothing.

------------------
Mike
mike@ignmail.com

DJ_B
08-21-2000, 08:41 PM
oh no, I am not talking about paying for the instant review...oh no...just the old school style of doing it the free way, all be it the slow way.

mtgm
08-21-2000, 08:53 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I was under the impression that Yahoo! was charging a $200 application fee to all new sites (just for getting a listing). In that case, go right ahead and apply.

------------------
Mike
mike@ignmail.com

Doc
08-21-2000, 09:54 PM
it only took them two weeks to review my site...and I didn't pay....

you might wanna wait an extra week or so....

gallery
08-21-2000, 10:36 PM
same for me. cartoons4fun.com was listed 2 weeks after submission.

Always make sure your site is completely finished before submitting.

CyberMan
08-25-2000, 08:19 AM
My advise is wait until the site is functional to some extent. Yahoo doesn't like broken links so it doesn't help just to have a start page and expect to get a listing.

My experience is that the amount of time it takes to get a listing on Yahoo directly depends on the category. It is possible to get a listing on Yahoo under a less popular category quick enough. Also if you have a chat room you can get a faster listing by submitting that page to Yahoo Events.

It is possible to get Yahoo to review your site within a week by paying a fee (It's less than $200 I believe).

Good luck.

------------------
CyberMan

zMan
08-25-2000, 08:32 AM
Yeah CyberMan. It's less than $200.00 - It's $199.00 http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

You SAVE A BUCK!!! Yes, buy some Gum. Oh oh, how about a candy too!!!? WHOA!

- zMan

CyberMan
08-25-2000, 09:28 AM
Yep $199 is less than $200. I think it's really worth the money if you can get them to place your site in the right category. The few hundred extra clicks you get everyday are worth while rather than having to wait 3 months.

------------------
CyberMan

zMan
08-25-2000, 11:20 PM
Well not really. The paid service is not offered in all categories. It's only offered in their Business and Economy > Business to Business > categories.

It su**s like that. I used the service once for my free e-mail website, got accepted. But I am getting lousy results. There are better categories for that website from where I can get 100's of clicks everyday but the paid service is not offered there. I hope they can offer the service in all categories soon. That will be something! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

- zMan

zMan
08-25-2000, 11:23 PM
WOW!!! DID THEY START OFFERING THE SERVICE IN *ALL* THE CATEGORIES??? I JUST WENT TO "SUGGEST A SITE" FOR A CATEGORY WHICH ISN'T UNDER THEIR BUSINESS CATEGORY, AND IT WORKED! Hm... Didn't know that!

- zMan