Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 AM   #1
maz
Member.

Default Hey ad networks, read this.

I have applied to every ad network there is imho.
They all turned me down, because I didnt have the traffic (yet)
well, the site I have 30g*gs.com (replace * with i - so google doesnt index)
Now has over 600 back links, has been on slashdot, digg, fark, cnbc, and almost every other news site.

I am seeking a 1st or 2nd tier ad network. its your time to apply to me :P
The site did over 3 million unique IPs today with over 800k signups.
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Hi Maz,

Good luck with this unusual appeal, but CPM-based ad networks rarely align themselves with free email providers for a number of reasons, regardless of how large they are. There again, that probably shouldn't be too much concern for you, since if you've signed up 800,000 members and assigned each of those members a maximum 30GB space, you'll have an extraordinarily hard time monetizing such a resource intensive service through standard network ads.

With the sorts of expenses that you're about to encounter, you'd be better off upselling high-margin services and/or brokering your own ad space directly. Sub-$1 CPMs just aren't going to cut it once your members start loading up their mailboxes with chunky attachments and using the service as a free offsite backup facility.

Best of luck.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
MikematJordan

Default PM

Maz,

Sent you a private message.
MikematJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
sbrew

Hmmm. You make it difficult to entertain your offer when a visit to your site results in the following:

Unable to connect to MySQL server: localhost : '': Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)

But I was with you up to that point.
sbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
fusionhosting

CPM networks are typically never fond of carrying inventory for free webhosts, free email, etc... The line of thought is there's lower conversions vs. a website, among other things.

Still, with the sheer amount of users you're quoted as having, even upselling 1% of those at $5/mo or a larger portion say at $20/yr would easily net you a nice $40k+/yr.

Have you looked into an added value feature(s) you could charge for? Doing this as well as selling your own inventory could supplement your income nicely.

Last edited by fusionhosting; 10-04-2005 at 12:55 PM.
fusionhosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
Pilatus

Quote:
Contact Info for 30gigs.com:

30Gigs
9200 Milliken Ave Apt 4303
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

US
+1 504 621 9615
bostondan@gmail.com
Some more confidence in your own service also might help
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow Hey maz, read this.

Good luck in any event.

1. Be carefull what you wish for!. Traffic and all the buzz on planet earth or mars means absolutely nothing. The trick in a real business plan with a long term goal is to figure out a procedure to monetize it before you launch. The upsell to paid services which others have mentioned is a great idea. Your free stuff is effectively a "loss leader" and in that vein you still have work to do.

2. You have NO Anti Spam Policy along with a rather brief TOS and privacy policy. You need to instill large doses of confidence in your potential customers by significantly improving these documents, deploying a very strong anti spam policy, hiring staff to fight the nearly hour by hour abuse you will encounter. For example, how many outbound emails can a user send in a given one minute period. Finally, exactly who are YOU? Your company name, names of principals, details on your staff, and detailed Bios of the significant players.

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
ak123456

Default MikematJordan

MikematJordan
give me your e-mail
ak123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
emmzee

First, let me say ... 800k signups?! In ONE DAY?!?!? You're going to need one heck of a business plan ...

You may want to try co-reg offers ... ie, you put some checkboxes on your signup form, so that people have an option to signup for (usually free) offers when they sign up for your service. These pay per signup. I know that DirectLeads.com used to offer these, I don't know of any other companies right now, if you want co-reg offers I'm sure other people here would know of some.

Last edited by emmzee; 10-04-2005 at 11:07 PM.
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #10
adroar

Default ad networks

What we suggest is that you make each person see one Pop-up for access to your site.
That Pop, at the low end, say even $1 CPM, is worth to you:
8,000,000 uniques per day? x $1 /1000 = $8,000/day x 30 = $240,000/month.
Now if you meant 8,000,000/month = $8,000/month.

There are networks that will welcome your business....like us.
adroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #11
Viper220

Default Re: ad networks

Quote:
Originally posted by adroar
What we suggest is that you make each person see one Pop-up for access to your site.
That Pop, at the low end, say even $1 CPM, is worth to you:
8,000,000 uniques per day? x $1 /1000 = $8,000/day x 30 = $240,000/month.
Now if you meant 8,000,000/month = $8,000/month.

There are networks that will welcome your business....like us.
He said 3mm/unique for one day with over 800k signups (assuming 800k total since launch).

To Maz: I agree with others. How to monetize traffic should have been built into the business plan. If you were counting on straight CPM, then you probably should have thought it over more before launching and done further research. You've essentially wasted many of your signups, as you could have done co-ops (as mentioned) or other forms of pushing those registrants to sponsors. It's probably not too late, but you're in danger of being overwhelmed as those email boxes fill up and massive abuse becomes commonplace, without generating enough revenue to make it all worth it.

Last edited by Viper220; 10-05-2005 at 07:55 AM.
Viper220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #12
MikematJordan

Default Ak

I sent you my email adress via private message, I did not wish to post it in the forum.
MikematJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:01 AM   #13
Czar

Webmaster

Mike, members are automatically notified when they receive a PM. There is no need to post these alerts within public threads, such as occurred twice within this single thread. Thanks.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #14
JFS

with that kind of user base i don't think it will be that hard to monetize at the begining, since i supose his server don't have the 30gb*800k space, he will add up when needed (i think...i would do that ).
"3 million unique IPs" and around the XX million pages views a day?even with a cpm of $0.05 (i'm sure that he can get more) he would get the enough for the expensive of his servers and gain a nice amount.
but like some said, you should had think of this sooner.
best of luck to your site and good luck to keep the site as the level it is right now.

Steve_S write very usefull advices, i would advice to follow them.
my 2 cents
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #15
Steve_S

Arrow Hey maz, read this.

BTW, for gosh sakes "Lock" your domain and do it yesterday. Also, please insure that ALL your whois data is current as numerous folks will and already have audited this. I mention this because I just called the phone number of record and a young person answered via "Hello" in a rahter loud voice. Respectfully and to underscore what others have said, "Hello" does not instill confidence and fails to reinforce the notion that you are a real business.

Since this community and it's VERY talented leader named Tribal Chief Czar have provided you with a very very very rare opportunity via this thread, please post to this thread and bring us all up to date with your issues/plans/changes and perhaps confirm your stats via uniques and page views.

Good luck and HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote