Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2003, 07:16 AM   #1
tonychoe

Default About MegaNetServe.com

Greetings,

I am going to build up a server for my web-based game site. I searched MegaNetServe.com at here but no search result. Is
there anyone ever use MegaNetServe.com? They are located in Sillicon Valley and have a good policy for bandwidth. But it is very hard to hear about their repuation.

I used Dialtoneinternet.com and Superb.net but had terrible experiences.

I am considering rackshack.com also. They looks good. My game area00.com uses 60~80GB a month and needs 1GB memory. Please advice what company will be the best.

Thank you in advance.
tonychoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:30 AM   #2
Ted S

Well, from what I've seen they look like a rather "old" company given the average age of hosting companies which is good.

A trace shows that they use he.net for their backbone/facility which is also pretty good and very reliable.

As for pricing and bandwidth, they look to have a pretty fair offer... a little more than RackShack but they don't seem to be into the bulk bandwidth business.

To sum things up, they seem to be exactly what they advertise -- a medium sized company with a target of small/medium business clients. If you want a small amount of bandwidth and a decent server, they may be right for you... just don't expect them to have world class support or hold your hand with server admin stuff. If you've never run a server before this may be a big problem for you since running a server is a far more complex task then running a reseller or virtual hosting account.

Finally, if you want something beefy and really, really critical, they do seem to offer the extra features and unlike rackshack, they go from low end cheap boxes to some pretty amazing dual/scsi/redundant machines (for far more $$$ of course). This tells me that they aren't just out to cram numbers and they certainly have the ability to upgrade you later.

In the end it just gets down to what you want... if you're budget is $99 they don't offer the bandwidth you said you need but if you want to spend a bit more, they seem to offer a server with some serious kick. If you're worried about support and managed services give them a call and call rackspace too for a comparision.

Last edited by Ted S; 03-13-2003 at 07:34 AM.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:47 AM   #3
tonychoe

Thank you for your reply. *bow*

I am going to spend $300 ~ $450 a month for good deidcated server with about 100 GB transfers.

I am able to manage Linux because I am a computer engineer. What I am worrying is some company charges a high feefor their engineering service like rebooting. I twice had to pay 80 dollars for a rebooting at night with other company.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:55 AM   #4
tonychoe

Is there anyone who used Meganetserve.com?

I am going to purchase their server in 1 month.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:00 PM   #5
Manos

Hi Tony,

Please let us know how your experience with Meganetserve goes. I am also considering using them, very soon in fact. I haven't been able to determine if they suit my needs yet, but so far I've had to rule out rackshack.net as they cannot provide me with a local private network if I need to expand to multiple machines.

Meganetserve seems to be able to do this (their setup page lets you put in a second network card). I am wondering about their support and customer service however... has anyone ever worked with them? Please post your opinions and experiences! They seem to be a little cheaper than Rackspace.com, but Rackspace's fanatical tech support has never failed me.

Any info on these guys would be most appreciated.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
Jan

Administrator

I have just been looking at the search results at WHT and there are no complaint threads there regarding them, which is encouraging In fact this is the only one with their name in the thread title.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=62914
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:05 PM   #7
Manos

Smile

Wow!

That's very promising, thanks so much Jan. A lot of positivie comments for them there that definitely helps settle my mind on a few issues! I'm going to get down to the picky details with them and see what they can offer, but I've got a good feeling about it now.

Things are so much better when you have the peace of mind of a good host...

Last edited by Manos; 04-08-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:57 PM   #8
MadAxeMan

I have been with MegaNetServe for nearly a year to run a couple of very busy personal web sites from (about 3.5 million pages pm). Their uptime and service has been as good as the blue chip companies ($1500+pm) we use to host our customers web servers in the UK.

Always get a reboot within 5 minutes when needed. Upgrade and email support has been great. Would not hesitate to recommend these guys.

Only downside is the ping from the UK is a bit tardy, but that's not their fault...
MadAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote