Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2001, 10:25 PM   #1
darnell

Default Everyone.net will pay you $2 if your users pay $20

If you have users that have a free e-mail account with Everyone.net, they can sign up for a "Mail Plus" account and Everyone.net will pay you for it.

Here is an excerpt from an e-mail they sent me:

Quote:
Mail Plus is an exciting new feature for clients like you to generate recurring revenue by offering Mail Plus memberships to your users. You will earn 10% of each Mail Plus membership! Enrolling just 25 Mail Plus users earns you $50.00. And because we also pay 10% for membership renewals, that's potentially another $50.00 of recurring revenue each year!
Users who upgrade will get:
No Ads: No pop-unders, skyscrapers, text, banner ads or promo sigs
POP and SMTP: Send and receive email with any email software
25MB Mailbox: Over 4x more storage space for storing large files
Mail Plus Support: Guaranteed email response and online help

Looks like a good deal to me. Users can sign up for this even if you don't care to get get a cut of the money. So it's a no-brainer to sign up and tell Everyone.net you want your cut.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 06:28 AM   #2
safesys

It is interesting that everyone.net is offering a way for the users to get around seeing our banners though. We get a percentage of the banner rotation, so if the users pat their $20 they have paid everyone.net to remove OUR banners too!

Also, how does this affect things if we decide to stop using everyone.net as a free email provider? The users will be paying for the service and will thus have more rights surely - even though those rights have not been agreed by the domain holder.

I don't like everyone.net offering users of MY domain "paid for" services that I have not agreed to.
safesys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 09:19 AM   #3
funpage

I have around 10,000 registered users for everyone.net's e-mail services, and the last time I checked, only 1 user has signed up for the mail plus services. Why pay for e-mail when you can get it for free - yahoo, hotmail...
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 11:46 AM   #4
Kepeck

I have 22,000 users, and only 5 of my members signed up. I also noticed, that ever since they started charging for email, they no longer allow me to recieve demgraphic information. Since I have so many users, I'm not allowed viewing it regularly online. So, I have absolutely no idea about the information about my users. Unless, I upgrade to the premium account.
Kepeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 04:06 PM   #5
SSacobie

Good luck getting money out of Everyone.net
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 05:38 PM   #6
darnell

Well after hearing some other points, I guess this ain't such a great deal.... But I guess I'll roll with it for the moment... I used to run ads with them and did get paid till they started having issues. I stopped serving ads before my 30-days notice was up when I announced to them that I was leaving. So I never worried about the little bit-o-cash that I had left behind.

I figure they probably don't have enough people signing up for the paid service and this is just a move to shut the free stuff down. I would not be surprised if in a few months they announced that people must either pay or leave. I'm really surprised Yahoo still let's people leech off their free e-mail service.

I've been wanting to start running a paid e-mail service, but didn't want to turn off all the people with free accounts (probably why Yahoo still has free service). So I figure this could make me a few pennies with no cash out of my pocket setting up my own service.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:08 AM   #7
Paul_S

10% seems like a very ordinary deal in my opinion. The rate should be something like 30% if everyone.net expect webmasters to promote their email services.

With signup rates so low I doubt they will be cutting many checks.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 08:22 AM   #8
funpage

I'm wondering what happened to everything being split 50/50 like they stated when they first started out. It's not supposed to be 10/90.

Another thing that comes to mind is that if users really wanted to get rid of popups and banner ads is that they'd simply get some banner/popup killing software and get rid of all ads...

Last edited by funpage; 10-07-2001 at 08:24 AM.
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 11:02 AM   #9
gethosted

What safesys came to my mind too. What happens if a user buys theirname@mydomain.com and then I decide I don't like everyone.net only a month or so after they buy it, and I switch e-mail providers? What if I forget about the domain and it expires? The customer would be mad at me most likely, even though he signed up with everyone.net.
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 04:24 PM   #10
darnell

Maybe we all should start telling Everyone.net we want a bigger piece of the cut? Make sure you e-mail them at MailPlus@everyone.net to let them know. The only way users are going to sign up in masses is if the Free service is either removed or maybe they were forced more ads. Like the ones Salon.com uses to force you an ad before showing you content. (Does Salon.com still do that since they are mostly a pay service now?)
Old 10-08-2001, 05:50 AM   #11
safesys

Everyone.net seems desperate to find some way of making a profit, if the takeup on this is low then I would not be at all surprised to see the free service to webmasters dropped.

But my agreement with everyone.net is based on a percentage share of banner adverts and I have not granted them permission to take payments for services offered through MY domains.

This is probably a real good time to get a solid plan B in place.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:21 AM   #12
darnell

Quote:
But my agreement with everyone.net is based on a percentage share of banner adverts and I have not granted them permission to take payments for services offered through MY domains.
Well now this is starting to sound like it may have class-action lawsuit potential written all over it...

I'm really glad I posted this for some other views. I've mentally done a 180 on this matter, but there does not appear to be any good "plan B" alternatives out there...
Old 10-08-2001, 11:31 AM   #13
safesys

I am emailing everyone.net and telling them I have not granted them permission to take payment for *any* service using my domains.

If they can't remove the option from my accounts then I will have to contact my mail users and explain that if they do pay everyone.net any money that it is not an agreement with me and my domains.

I guess I could soon be checking out bigmailbox.com or some of the others out there.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:35 PM   #14
Guava

I'd check the huge service agreement that you agreed to when you signed up with them. I doubt you read it all but it may have had a clause that allowed them a loophole to be able to do this type of thing.
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 01:47 PM   #15
darnell

For anyone looking, the current agreement is here

Of couse this is not the original that I agreed to myself. The original had nothing in regards to this new service because they were not even doing paid services then. (They were not even doing ad sales then. When I signed up Free e-mail was all they had with a 50/50 cut of ad revenue and the only ads were banner and signature line ads.) But I'm pretty sure it probably had that standard "this agreement may change" clause which to me leaves things open-ended...

Last edited by darnell; 10-08-2001 at 02:01 PM.