Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2001, 08:19 AM   #1
alexk

Lightbulb MusicVision update...

Hi All,

Is anyone here with MusicVision? What is your effective CPM and how many defaults do you experience? Do you place the banner on top or at the bottom of your pages?

Also, does anyone know if they are still accepting new sites?

I'd greatly appreciate any info!

Thanks,
Al
alexk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 09:18 AM   #2
infinite2001

Unhappy

My current CPM with Musicvision is roughly .13. They are still accepting new sites, but they've always had very low CPM, even about a year ago when I first started developing music related sites. As a word of advice, music related sites [not MP3, but fan sites or others] are not high money makers, unless of course you're selling product, in which can boost profits.

Infinite
infinite2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 10:56 AM   #3
alexk

Arrow

I have a tabs site (URL in profile)... I've heard your performance w/MusicVision heavily depends on the category you're in, is that right?...
Old 06-13-2001, 12:21 PM   #4
LordBiO

Unhappy

Not sure if this will effect any decision you are making but thought I would post it anyway because they just emailed me this a few minutes ago.

Dear MusicVision member:

MusicVision is currently in the process of changing our ad serving solution from AdForce to Matchlogic.

We have spent the last few weeks planning a seamless migration process so that implementation of new ad serving tags will be simple and effective.

Over the next day or two, you will be contacted by a MusicVision representative and e-mailed ad serving tags for the standard set of creative sizes, along with instructions on how to transition from the Adforce system to Matchlogic.

Please keep the AdForce tags up on the site until you receive further instruction, as this will insure minimal down time.

MusicVision is confident that Matchlogic offers superior technology and service which will, in turn, benefit all of our businesses.

[This message has been edited by LordBiO (edited 06-13-2001).]
LordBiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 12:29 PM   #5
AK

Unhappy

I joined in September and redirect a portion of my Burst defaults to MusicVision. The first couple of months I was in the network, the effective CPM was over $1. In May my effective CPM was $0.10 and so far this month it's been around $0.11.

They (proudly) claimed that they didn't serve any defaults when they contacted me last year, but in reality it just means that they fill your inventory with extremely low paying CPC or maybe even CPA banners.

Some of the pros of MusicVision are that they offer very detailed (if somewhat complicated) stats, respond quickly to e-mails and the network agreement is quite fair. You can also use their ad serving system and tracking software to serve ads you sold yourself for a small (that's relative I guess) fee. Of course, all of this doesn't mean much if you're not getting any income from the banners they serve.

I don't know what happened to you, LordBiO, but the contract states that they can't terminate you in the middle of a term (usually 6 months), unless you breach any of the terms in the contract or they think your site contains "offensive, obscene, indecent or illegal" content. Most other ad networks reserve the right to terminate any site at any time for any reason. Of course, it works both ways; you can't get out of the contract in the middle of a term unless MusicVision violates it.

[Edit] Sorry, I didn't read your last post before I wrote this. I just got that e-mail too. Good news, I think. At least it shows that they are not throwing in the towel like many others. [/Edit]

[This message has been edited by AK (edited 06-13-2001).]
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 12:40 PM   #6
LordBiO

Unhappy

We did not break any temrs of the contract because they would have told us, they has just told me that my network was no longer a fit for them. And I had been with them for about 1 year, when they terminated the contract. So I am sure it came to the end of the term.

Yeah that is good news they they are still developing and getting better, and this step to a new ad servinig technology reflects that.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:28 PM   #7
alexk

Arrow

Thanks for the input!

Btw, does anyone put MusicVision banners at the bottom of the page?.. I've heard they allow this but tell that your payout will depend on your performance (CTR), is it true?

Thank you!
Al
Old 06-13-2001, 02:18 PM   #8
AK

Unhappy

I think they used to allow bottom banners (before I joined), at least it said something like that on their old web site. But according to the T&C, the banners should be placed above the fold.

Edit: I guess we now know the real reason why MusicVision suddenly decided to switch ad serving solution. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by AK (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old 06-13-2001, 02:22 PM   #9
robot

Unhappy

I have been with them for a year and a half and am happy in every way - except for their current payout rate. It's nice having relevant ads for your site, though not as nice when they pay so little.

I was using their bottom banners for a long time until a month or so ago when rates dropped below 10 cents CPM. Rates for bottoms were not all that much lower than uppers some months ago when I last used uppers. They may have performance-based payout rates, but I could not tell.
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 11:38 PM   #10
alexk

Red face

I wonder how they can be profitable having the ads at just .1 CPM, it's almost the price for ad serving... http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif
Old 06-13-2001, 11:42 PM   #11
LordBiO

Unhappy

I am not sure how MusicVision is performing now because we were kicked out of therir network back in February and at that time we were doing like a $.30 CPM. I am not sure why they kicked us out, we were serving like 8 million impressions with them but they said that we are no longer a fit in their network. I had just assumed they were focusing their time on the large branded web sites and also the official sites.

If you can get accepted, I would recommend them because they always served 100% of the ad inventory and always paid on time. I even got a chance to visit their office in New York City and they have some nice offices.
Old 06-14-2001, 12:49 AM   #12
AK

Unhappy

Oh, I don't think they are profitable... They are probably bleeding as much as any other ad network.