Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2001, 05:38 PM   #1
parplex

Question credit cards

Ok, I am very confused. I am going to do paid web hosting, but of course I need to get someone to prosses the credit cards. Now the software that I am getting comes with this nice feature to auto setup the accounts if you use one of the 2 people they can do it through(thats confusing let me explain) They auto transactions through cybercash.com and authoize.net. Now Im even more lost by going to the websites of those people. I guess authorize wants me to choose a reseller. Now I look through the list. They range from kinda inexpensive setup fee's to expensive setup fee's. Then they list charges that will be given from authorize.net. So I still do not know whats going on. Then I went to cybercash. They had a cash register program that seemed to be what I needed, but they had a 500 dollar setup charge. Then they had this other B2B payment service, it also seemed to be what I needed but no price. I hate to call these place's because I have no idea whats going and I hate to sound like a dolt on the phone. The only experience I had with anything of this type is ibill.com(which I did not like very much). Can anyone help show me the light and explain some of this to me or give me some tips. Thanks.
parplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 07:11 PM   #2
ezclan

Unhappy

try propay.com..

or even PayPal, although it's a bit complicated to setup the links for the CC charge.

I setup a website for accepting credit cards through rtware.net (reselling authorize.net), with a $900 setup and $15 monthly. Amortizing that across all the sales I made for a year left me with an effective credit card commmission of 22%. UGH.

------------------
Ezclan MPOG Sites
Video games and Consoles
ezclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 07:13 PM   #3
Tetraboy

Unhappy

Lots of users recommend instabill.com
Tetraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 07:17 PM   #4
suresk

Unhappy

I am using Instabill right now, and they seem pretty good. Its quick and easy to get setup, and there are no setup/monthly fees. The discount rate is a bit steep though - 10%. I highly recommend them.

------------------
Spencer Uresk
spencer@uresk.net
AdvertisingResults.Net - How good is the traffic you are buying? Track it and find out! Geekvillage Members save 30%!

<A HREF="http://www.dailystarts.com/top/" TARGET=_blank>
Daily Starts TopGreetings - Get listed and get traffic!</A>
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 07:25 PM   #5
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Right now I am still discussing things with Jetbill.com and if it does not work out with them I will use revecom.com. I am thinking of launching a similar service to your own one month from now.

Revecom supports recurring payments which should help you and you don't need a merchant account...

For intangible products like webhosting they charge a $49 dollar set-up fee. Each transaction costs $1 dollar with a 3.95% commission that they take.

[This message has been edited by Kaiosama (edited 06-07-2001).]
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 08:34 PM   #6
parplex

Unhappy

I currently do use paypal.
ezclan, did you shop around or did you just go with them. Are there cheaper setup fee's for a reseller? I would really like to use authorize.net reseller if I could. I would be fine with anything under 300 for a setup fee.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:54 PM   #7
sdarken

Unhappy

In the past I have created sites which have used Cybercash and Authorize.Net. For both those (and most payment processing services) you will also need to get a merchant account. A merchant account is like a bank account which can process credit card payments. You will need to speak to your bank about getting a merchant account. Make sure the merchant account is set up for internet payments. (Basically, since internet payments are more risky than normal card-present transactions, you will be charged higher fees.)

Both Cybercash & Authorize.Net provide :
1) Tools which you can incorporate in a system to allow you to automatically pass transactions to them for authorization & capture of credit card payments (which ultimately end up in your merchant account).
2) A virtual terminal which allows you to log in to enter payments, make refunds etc

Authorize.Net will not deal with you directly. As you read on their site, you will need to contact a reseller (eg: Wells Fargo bank) who will create a merchant account and get you an authorize.net account.

Be aware that Cybercash is currently in bankruptcy proceedings and their future is not entirely clear.

If you are interested in either of these services, download their large manuals and expect to have to read them through a few times. Every time I have to deal with a new payment processing service I end up with a headache.

Hope this information helps a little bit.

- Simon
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 06:19 AM   #8
parplex

Unhappy

Thank you, that did. I planed on meeting with my bank next week for a buisness account. CAn you give me some questons to ask if they have those features im looking for