Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2001, 05:43 AM   #1
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy Idea: Create a big network of sites....

Hey All,

I just woke up from bed, hardly can see.. but being a geek I was thinking of how I can make money or get big.

Well, about.com brands your network, and counts your traffic as theirs so they can sell their ads better or do something.

I was thinking, why don't we all join forces. Keeping seperate ownerships. Count the traffic as one, get branded, and you never know DoubleClick might be pounding on our door, advertisers also?

It would be the same, cept we'd place something at the top, some kind of name, and go from there. But before we can even do that, I need to know who of you are interested and start a convo about this so we can get the disadvantages and advantages to this project.

We'd be collecting millions and millions of unique users if we all combine, and get listed on PC data, who knows what can happen.

Take care,

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 06:07 AM   #2
gethosted

Unhappy

I have ezcoolpages, and I would gladly become a subnetwork. It would especially help if I was the only freehost listed at whatever network HQ type of site, but anyways, I wouldn't mind putting a small logo or button at the bottom of a few million page views each month to boost the brand. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Ezcoolpages: Free 20 megs webhosting for all sites, including celeb.
Harsh Rejection: Send a clever personalized E-poem to show your true feelings.
Celeb Banner Exchange
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 06:16 AM   #3
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

That's cool http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

So far, we have "AdAthon.com" as our name.
http://www.adathon.com

I think this would be a great project, and no body will be losing any money. If anything it'll be making money http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Old 06-03-2001, 06:29 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Lightbulb

Very nice idea. It may become complicated once the network does sign a few contracts, though, in terms of how payments will be divided, how tax issues will be resolved, etc.

Is anyone here familiar with the legal/economic intricacies of running a casual partnership such as this?

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 06:35 AM   #5
gethosted

Unhappy

I'm more interested in the targetted webmaster traffic that a link to my free hosting site can get me http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif. Wanna hook me up with an adathon button? I can have it added in a few minutes after I get it.

------------------
Celeb Banner Exchange
Old 06-03-2001, 06:38 AM   #6
gethosted

Unhappy

Also, if you would be interested in my site, it would be much appreciated in adding popunders to your rate card http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif.

------------------
Celeb Banner Exchange
Old 06-03-2001, 06:53 AM   #7
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

Czar --
Payments would be divided by how much banners you serve. Whatever CPM rate we get from the advertiser, we give that to you.

But i'm not sure how we want to run this. Tax stuff will have to be all seperate as AdAthon is not collecting anything. Or at least I dont' think it will be.

So if we get $1.00CPM from an advertiser, you get $1.00CPM in full, and so do we, just we put it on our site and get what we make. It's just a way of luring advertisers to our site so we can get a good rate.

Everyone is working for everyone. It's a way to keep all sites alive and well. So that if FreewareWorld.com gets an advertiser, we run that on all web sites in the network. And if Net-Ads.com brings an advertiser, we'll share that advertiser also. Everyone gets a bit of everything.

If the advertiser buys 1 million impressions @ $1.00CPM. Then, FreewareWorld.com probably will fill 200,000 monthly and say net-ads fills in 400,000:

FreewareWorld made: $200.00
Net-Ads.com made: $400.00
Other sites fill up the rest of the inventory.

gethosted --
We have to see how everyone is involved. If lots of people are interested, we'll do it. But there is no point in starting something with little traffic.

That reminds me.

Post your traffic levels so we can get an idea of how big the network would be.

FreewareWorld.com: 204,000 monthly impressions.

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Old 06-03-2001, 07:38 AM   #8
ezclan

Smile

This sounds intriguing.. However, I am not exactly sure how you would TRACK who is responsible for what impressions/clicks/sales.

Say I have an ad banner that pays $0.10/click. I put it into the network. ALL the revenue will come to me, regardless of whose site generated the click. How would we divide that up?

Or, do you plan on setting up an ad re-direction service that will log all referrals?

------------------
Ezclan MPOG Sites
Video games and Consoles
ezclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 07:44 AM   #9
kerplunk
Member.

Thumbs up

Sounds cool.

I could donate around 3 million monthly impressions with neonteen.com if you can make it worth my while.

Good idea KP.
kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 07:47 AM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Just tossing ideas around here, but you could establish the back-end of the network in a similar fashion to a traditional banner ad network. What I'm proposing it that we have one central server that hosts the ad management software, which allows password-protected logins for publishers, but which operates like a marketplace, so that each publisher may add individual advertiser accounts to the pool, while selecting to which topical/geographical channel this account belongs.

Then, one party will receive all of the payments, and divide these according to the stats represented by the central server. The collecting/hosting party could collect a commission of, say 20-30% to cover administrative and infrastucture costs.

This way, it will be like an ad network, but run by publishers. And really, who knows the desires of web users better than publishers?

I'm sure there's something in this. We just need to bash it around for a while in order to add some form. Maybe, if Steve's willing, we could even establish a private forum somewhere through which to discuss the more intricate details (in order to protect the network's intellectual property, if we do actually devise something workable).

Anyway, keep the ideas coming...

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 08:00 AM   #11
Edwin

Unhappy

I hate to be the one to firehose cold water onto this explosion of enthusiasm, but any endeavour such as this has to start with a firm grounding in reality.

A) If each publisher brings advertisers to the network, and the ads are shared out across the various network members, the publisher has lost out... instead of keeping 100% of the money from *their* advertiser they are only keeping a percentage of it. This encourages people to sign up to be ad-displayers, but not advertiser-finders! There is NO incentive for bringing in advertisers.

B) Hosting and banner serving costs may kill this before it can fly. You are talking about some serious hardware and software to implement a banner ad network in the 10,000,000++ monthly impression range, which is probably the barest minimum you'll need to even begin to attract the attention of advertisers.

C) You're going to need staff, most likely, to handle the interactions with advertisers (if you're planning this to be a BUSINESS). But if your plan calls for selling 10 million banner impressions a month at $1 CPM, that's only $10,000 all-in, before deducting server and staff costs, check-cutting expenses etc. etc.

D) You need to take a VERY HARD LOOK at why this network will work where other professional, dedicated, well-funded and well-staffed networks are busy collapsing daily. Many victims or soon-to-be-victims of the .com advertising collapse are VC-backed company which have (had?) the money to hire the best resources and lay out the best equipment, connectivity, etc... not to mention hiring dedicated ad sales staff (starting salary in excess of $100K + commissions, I believe)

E) BIGGEST FLAW OF ALL... If you can't bring in even enough advertisers/ad money to make your own site pay its way, you're certainly not going to be able to contribute ADDITIONAL advertiser-originated money to the collective/cooperative group of sites!

So I wish all of you all the best with this. I will watch from a distance with fingers firmly crossed on your behalf - but frankly, in the current climate and with the resources a loose-knit, informal organization will have at its disposal, I believe this cannot work.

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 08:15 AM   #12
Sulla

Unhappy

I have thought about this some before and I think instead of concentrating on banner revenue you should concentrate on the traffic you can send from one site to another. At least at first.

It would also be nice to set up an advertising fund for the network so that every one could combine there money to buy larger adds for the network.

[This message has been edited by Sulla (edited 06-03-2001).]
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 08:16 AM   #13
xuniverse
Member.

Unhappy

hmmmmm this could probably go somewhere.....

You could just use a simple banner exchange script for the network and put it on like a 1:20 ratio... That means that people would be serving 19 network CPM banners and 1 network website banner... this would ge a great way to share traffic and money. Hmmmmmmmmm.
xuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 08:39 AM   #14
Ratestar
Member.

Unhappy

I'll be happy to donate a copy of ******* ********* ( www.*******.com/*********.html ) to you guys should you go ahead with it.

(******* is RateStars parent company.)

********* is what ******** uses for its network, its ideal for something like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by ezclan:
This sounds intriguing.. However, I am not exactly sure how you would TRACK who is responsible for what impressions/clicks/sales.

Say I have an ad banner that pays $0.10/click. I put it into the network. ALL the revenue will come to me, regardless of whose site generated the click. How would we divide that up?

Or, do you plan on setting up an ad re-direction service that will log all referrals?

------------------
--
Dan Ushman <dan@********.net>
******** Ad Network
Ad Sales Dept. <http://ads.********.net>

View our Media Kit:
http://ads.********.net/mediakit.shtml?email

Advertise on our Network:
http://ads.********.net/advertise.shtml?email

Publish ads on your site, earn money now:
http://ads.********.net/signup.shtml?email
Ratestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 08:42 AM   #15
da_geek

Unhappy

mm.. this scould work but your forgetting some stuff.

1) You'll need a huge server setup to manage the banner distributions.

2) Someone will need to manage it. Not to sound mean, but there is the potential for one person to keep the impressions and threfore the majority of the money.

3) The larger sites will eat up all the ads leaving nothing for the smaller ones. I only have 400,000 impressions a month (900,000 including forums), however if a site has 3 millions impressions, they'll use up all the inventory before anyone else gets a chance, so you'll need to devise a way of splitting the inventory based on previous months stats (eg each site gets a certain number of impressions based on the traffic is got the month prevoius).

This makin sence? Would be MUCH more complex than you guys are thinking at the moment,
da_geek is offline   Reply With Quote