Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2001, 11:21 PM   #1
Bomber

Unhappy Questions about Mailbit's?

This question is directed at Chris at mailbits but if anyone has any answers please post!

First question I wanted to know why the tech support for mailbits is so poor and why it takes 3 to 4 weeks for email questions to be answered? Couldn't a better tech support system be implemented?

Second, many affiliates accounts have been cancelled for no reason and I've been hearing that they are not getting any responses from phone calls or emails from you guys, so why the sudden cancellation of accounts?

Third..was it neccessary for mailbits to incorporate advertisement buttons as submit buttons on the tell-a-friend form, couldn't it have worked with just a submit button with a ad below it? many of our users have complained heavily with this system.

Fourth..have the December cheques been mailed? It seems pretty late this month, has anyone received them yet?

Jason

Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 12:49 AM   #2
Aaron Dragushan

Unhappy

Hi Bomber,

I think the reason their tech support is slow sometimes is that they have so many affiliates (about 600,000 I think) and they're probably overwhelmed at times by the sheer volume of mail. They're quite a bit larger than the second-largest company in this space, recommend-it (180,000 affiliates.)

Of course I can't speak for mailbits, but that's just my guess. Chris is registered on the forum so hopefully he'll get a chance to swing by and reply directly. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 08:44 AM   #3
Bomber

Unhappy

Thanks for the insight!
Old 02-24-2001, 02:54 AM   #4
jemma

Location: New York City: From Ground Zero to Ground of Heroes
Unhappy

I've been following the various Mailbits threads and complaints for a while, as well as talking with other affiliates.

I have a greeting card site, and my Mailbits stats (uniques to click-thrus) have been fairly consistent over time. Like Bomber, I'd like to know why the ratio of uniques seemed to drop -suddenly- in January (mine went from appx 50% to 15%), and why some accounts that had done well in December were cancelled without explanation, or apparent justification.

I watch all my stats, and feel my sudden ratio drop can't be explained away by repeat visitors, etc. To be fair, I do have to report that on Valentine's Day (when my traffic really surges), the ratio was back to appx 50%.

I also have to report that I still haven't received payment for December. I'm in NYC, as is Mailbits, and I've never had problems receiving checks before.

Unfortunately, all of these things, especially since they're happening to others as well, lead me to think something very odd is going on at Mailbits, and though Aaron has offered a possible explantion for the lack of tech support that Bomber mentioned, it's hard to put a reasonable and good spin on the other problems.

I also wonder about why Chris, having accepted Aaron's invitation to post on the BB after several Mailbits threads appeared, chose to simply post a general reply to a question about running a TAF business, rather than directly address affiliates' concerns. This only adds to growing suspicions that Mailbits is engaged in fraudulent behavior (e.g. keeping money that is owed to affiliates). I'd be happy to discover I've come to the wrong conclusion!

Chris - I like Mailbits a lot! Please let us know what's going on. Bad news (and rumors) are already spreading past the geek BBs, and I'm sure you don't want groups of people angry enough to look at legal remedies.

Hoping to hear good news...

Jemma

jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 09:14 PM   #5
dariboy
Member.

Unhappy

My account was canceled and is been more than a month and no reply from mailbits. They waited untill the day before they send checks and canceled my account. I know all the rules of mailbits and did not break any of them but they just e-mailed me that I have. I wanted to know which one but no reply.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber:
This question is directed at Chris at mailbits but if anyone has any answers please post!

First question I wanted to know why the tech support for mailbits is so poor and why it takes 3 to 4 weeks for email questions to be answered? Couldn't a better tech support system be implemented?

Second, many affiliates accounts have been cancelled for no reason and I've been hearing that they are not getting any responses from phone calls or emails from you guys, so why the sudden cancellation of accounts?

Third..was it neccessary for mailbits to incorporate advertisement buttons as submit buttons on the tell-a-friend form, couldn't it have worked with just a submit button with a ad below it? many of our users have complained heavily with this system.

Fourth..have the December cheques been mailed? It seems pretty late this month, has anyone received them yet?

Jason

dariboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2001, 03:29 AM   #6
jemma

Hi, well, here's an update to my post of last month, and it looks like we'll be taking Mailbits to court.

From December 2000 thru Feb 2001 they owe us almost $2000. (I realize this isn't a lot to many people here who have high traffic sites, but it's a lot to us!). We worked hard and created many new greeting cards for Christmas, New Year's and Valentine's Day to capitalize on the big increase in traffic that card sites get during those holidays, and were especially excited because all our affiliate accounts did really well at those times.

Chris doesn't dispute that we are owed the money, but other than a rendition of "the check is in the mail", there's been no response or follow-up regarding our ongoing account problems, despite my numerous attempts to work things out reasonably and amicably.

As of this writing, what is owed, or listed as "paid" on the account (currently Dec 2000 & Jan 2001), has not been received.

The current situation makes me both angry and sad. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif There's no question that affiliate programs and their members are often in an uneasy alliance, but from my point of view, we were in an "everybody wins" business relationship with Mailbits: As a greeting card site with high TAF form use, we sent them lots of people, so they were happy; people signed-up with their advertisers, so they were happy (and paid Mailbits - happy again); and we got paid, so we were happy.

Unfortunately, recent events have made it very difficult to avoid the conclusion that Mailbits has now decided to pay itself twice - keeping our earned money (and apparently other affiliates' as well) in their own pockets.

I understand Mailbits is a busy, growing company, but methods to effectively and fairly deal with payment issues (and in a timely manner), must be in place for any business. When they're lacking, and apparently ignored, it's more than troubling, and raises questions.

Mailbits has been aware of our situation for almost 2 months. I found no reason for things not to have been resolved immediately (and Chris didn't give one, either). Despite this, we've been more than patient in allowing them time to correct any problems.

There is also no reason for Mailbits to refuse to respond directly to serious, legitimate complaints - leaving them unanswered only gives more credibility to the idea that Mailbits has someting to hide, and is engaged in defrauding a good number of affiliates.

We'll be filing in the NYC court if things are not resolved at the end of this month. We will also contact licensing and tax authorities that have an abiding interest in the business practices of companies like Mailbits, and will provide them with documentation.

Sadly,
Jemma

{edited for clarity: added a few words)

[This message has been edited by jemma (edited 03-24-2001).]
Old 04-16-2001, 03:45 PM   #7
jemma

Hi, I received an e-mail saying that a few people on the board had said they'd recently gotten a check from Mailbits, and asking if we were still suing Mailbits. Yes, we are.

If I had any doubts that Mailbits was knowingly defrauding many affiliate members (and pocketing our earnings), they've been erased in the months we've been dealing with them, trying to get things resolved.

Jemma

[This message has been edited by jemma (edited 04-16-2001).]
Old 04-16-2001, 06:13 PM   #8
cashcash

Unhappy

I only used Mailbits for the month of January and made about $350.00. Still waiting for the check, no response from emails.
cashcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 10:14 PM   #9
Bomber

Unhappy

Jemma,

Have you tried going to their office in NY and talking to them or seeing if Chris even existed??? I still know that hundreds of webmasters stil haven't gotten their cheques yet for december, january, feb, etc....

Bomber
Old 04-17-2001, 02:52 PM   #10
Chazhound

Cool

Hi SillyCenter,
Welcome!

Mailbits never did much for me...
I guess I don't hold my tougue right http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

By the way, you have some of my content on your site. You got mail.....

Chazhound http://www.Chazhound.com
Chazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 11:03 PM   #11
SillyCenter.com

Angry

I am another webmaster who has not been paid for Jan or Feb earnings. Mailbits owes us around $3,000. I am sure they will pay us soon. They have always come through in the past.

[This message has been edited by SillyCenter.com (edited 04-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SillyCenter.com (edited 04-17-2001).]

<Admin review. Thank you for the edits. Team Geek: monitor and ban as appropriate>

[This message has been edited by Steve_S (edited 04-17-2001).]
SillyCenter.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 12:27 PM   #12
jemma

Arrow

Hi, I received some e-mail in response to my last post in this thread.

So far, the total amount Mailbits owes the people I've heard from is over $60,000 (this doesn't include the amount of money people on this BB have also reported owed).

A number of you who wrote were interested in joining our lawsuit. As I explained, this wouldn't be possible because we're suing in small claims court. The limit in damages there is $3000, and it's not the court for class action suits (where people with similar complaints get together to sue one company).

However, I'm making some phone calls to try and find out what's the right court for those of you owed more than $3000, or who might be interested in filing a lawsuit with others.

If you're interested in this info, e-mail me (gemmabell@excite.com). It would be helpful to know where you're located and your website address, or what kind of website you have.

I hope to get the info this week, but remember this is New York City, where busy phone lines are the rule, not the exception! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

Jemma

Old 04-19-2001, 04:39 PM   #13
dot_com

Unhappy

Wow, I wrote mailbits a email last night, and this morning i had a reply... that was very quick.. Hopefully, we can get this all worked out soon.
dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 01:44 PM   #14
jemma

Unhappy

Hi Bomber, sorry I missed your post when I was here last. You wrote:

<< Have you tried going to their office in NY and talking to them or seeing if Chris even
existed??? I still know that hundreds of webmasters stil haven't gotten their cheques yet for december, january, feb, etc.... >>

I dunno, but based on postings and e-mail, I believe Chris is a real person. In terms of the current situation, I don't think it matters much, one way or the other.

dot_com wrote:
<< Wow, I wrote mailbits a email last night, and this morning i had a reply... that was very quick.. Hopefully, we can get this all worked out soon.>>

I hope we can, too.(s) I know that Mailbits is under pressure from several fronts right now, and maybe this will persuade them to re-consider their actions.

Unfortunately, I'm not too optimistic about it. Getting a Mailbits' response in e-mail is far removed from getting a check. Mailbits has been giving a number of us the runaround in e-mail for months, making it clear that they're more interested in delaying and not paying, than in resolving things.

That's one of the reasons we're taking them to court.

Best of luck,

Jemma

Old 04-21-2001, 02:54 PM   #15
austincassidy

Angry

I've also had problems with Mailbits. I used their service from December to March... in March they suddenly canceled my account and many others for no reason (I'd broken no rules). I'm owed several hundred dollars... and I'm mad about this!

I called Bradford & Reed... but they've dodged me numerous times (they seem to leave early and have a lot of meetings). Has anyone else had luck calling them? Perhaps I should just call "Andred Warner" directly.

Regardless, I'm very unhappy with their service and have switched to SuperTAF (check it out!)

austincassidy is offline   Reply With Quote