Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2001, 10:26 AM   #1
RivalQuest
Member.

Question Brain Dead AOLosers

I checked some of burstmedia's new campaigns and one is geo targetted for the USA. But, it excludes traffic from AOL.

Is this an even greater trend in surfer segregation. Companies are beginning to see that traffic from Aol is useless. But if AOL starts selling high speed connections on broadband what then?

I think web traffic will eventually be targetted to high and low income users. Geo targetting is the beginning of this. Soon, particular neighbourhoods will have certain types of ads.

Low income = Entertainment ads, gambling ads.
High Income = Realestate, Mercedes etc.

It's the beginning of web segregation.
RivalQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 10:32 AM   #2
Strider

Unhappy

It has nothing to do with the quality of traffic that comes from AOL. The problem is, geotargeting does not work with AOL customers. No matter where you live, you will appear to be from Virginia if you are logged onto the AOL network. Ad networks have been trying to tackle this for years but no one has been successful. So, in order to effectivly use geotargeting, many ad networks simply block AOL users from viewing there geotargeted campaigns.

------------------
http://www.perfectpresence.com - Web Hosting and Domain Registration
http://www.messagefriends.com - Get your own Message Board
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 10:49 AM   #3
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

I love AOL traffic....

They spend $$$.
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 10:58 AM   #4
RivalQuest
Member.

Thumbs up

It's good to know that SI supports AOL surfers. Robert, your programs just keep getting better. Please don't segregate on traffic.
RivalQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 12:16 PM   #5
Astrodragon

Lightbulb

I have no experience selling banner ads to AOL users. However, last year when I got a DVD player, I received 5 free dvd movies with it. The selection was awful though. So I put them on ebay. They all ended up being bid up and sold at prices higher than it would have been if they had just bought them at a store. The point?

4 out of 5 had AOL email addresses. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Astrodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 12:21 PM   #6
sterlingbeck

Cool

Just to second what Robert said, AOL users are more likely to purchase things online/signup for your pay per lead offers. I've consistently found the same results, heck Netsetter recently dropped all traffic save AOL users from it's per lead program.

------------------
Sterling Beck
23d Networks
Want 50,000 more hits?
SSiHosting
sterlingbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 12:25 PM   #7
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Many AOL users are newbies and you'd be surprised how many are older surfers getting online for the first time.

Theses people have disposable income and are not afraid to spend money on the internet.
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 01:30 PM   #8
Knut

Smile

I've also noticed that AOL'ers are more likely to sign up for my "general audience / entertainment" type newsletters :-)
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 03:54 PM   #9
SSacobie

Unhappy

I've found that most older surfers seem to be afraid to spend online (you're not getting my credit card number, sonny), though I do agree that AOL users do generally have a lot of disposable income.
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 04:22 PM   #10
WildComputer

Unhappy

For my www.ebookcompiler.com stuff, I'm talking a lot of credit card orders. Of course, for this type of product, it tends to be more experienced surfers, especially webmasters.

I've only had a couple of people, ever, say they don't want to pay by CC cos they don't trust the Internet

I've had a small % (probably less than 1%) of people pay by money order cos don't have a credit card.

None of this is especially surpsing, but what is surprising, is that I've had far more people tell me afterwards it was their first ever purchase on the Internet. Think about it - it seems a good % of surfers, and webmasters at that, have never purchaed anything online.

------------------[*]Create Your Own High Profit E-Books[*]Drive thousands of visitors to your web site cheap'n'easy[*]Affiliate Programs reviewed
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 04:50 PM   #11
wsz

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingbeck:
Just to second what Robert said, AOL users are more likely to purchase things online/signup for your pay per lead offers.

Perhaps one issue there is that many AOL users are relatively new to using the 'Net that there is more novelty with signing up for things like email newsletters. They haven't yet reached the point of receiving lots of annoying/time-wasting email, so they are more willing to give out their real address.

The more experienced users may be more suspicious (e.g. "If I submit my address, will it be sold to pr0n spammers?"), and more inclined to question whether a particular newletter is really worth their time.

Also, the new users on AOL haven't seen enough banners to start mentally filtering them out, and are more likely to click out of curiosity. And "trick" banners with fake error messages or, "You Have A Message," or, "Click Here For A Million Dollars," etc, etc, probably get a lot of clicks from those people, although I suspect that that same confusion might adversely effect conversion ratios.

As far as sales, perhaps the newer users might buy for novelty value, without considering whether it would be cheaper and more convenient to just go buy that CD, book, etc, in a physical store. Also, as Robert said, those who are first getting online at an older age (maybe more attracted to the apparant simplicity of, "just-insert-the-AOL-50-free-hours-promo-CD") are more likely to have disposable income, and, just as importantly, *credit_cards*.

------------------
Web Sponsor Zone - Internet Advertising Directory
http://www.websponsorzone.com
Earn Money With Your Site
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote