Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-1999, 03:04 PM   #1
WildComputer

Cool Somebody stole my HTML

The following web site has stolen the HTML for the top 50s I remote host for other sites (with minor changes for style/color, and removing links to my site). I know it's my HTML as not only does it resemble mine - but he was stupid enough to leave my www.thecounter.com code in his page

The site which has stolen the HTML is http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/mp3planet/left.html

The pages stolen (with my www.thecounter.com) code in is
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/mp3pl...anettop50.html

and
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/mp3pl...dyoursite.html

Here is an example of the equivalent - real pages on my site (the colors, background, etc. can change as they are configurable by users of my remote hosting services)
http://www.hits4me.com/topsite.asp?MID=119245

and
http://www.hits4me.com/topsite.asp?MID=119245&addme=1

As it happens this person's top 50 won't work, as he doesn't have the ASP script which is hosted on my server (and which he can't steal)

I am very annoyed, especially since he has messed up my thecounter stats!

How do I go about getting these pages removed. Does anybody have a contact address for tripod - and what else should I do???

------------------
  • DisAdvantage.co.uk - The Rules Have Changed...We don't understand them anymore! <--- Proud to be a very poor quality attempt to be funny
  • Add your site - Top 100 affiliate programs, webmasters, auto, cars, teen, games, jokes, free stuff...
  • My favorite affiliate programs - Personal Tips & Recommendations

[This message has been edited by WildComputer (edited 11-12-1999).]
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-1999, 03:16 PM   #2
juice
Member.

Cool

that's hilarious wild computer. He may not have evil intentions. He might have just been trying to figure out how to make his own topsite, but yes he should have gotten rid of your counter.....

------------------
ignifuge.com- get paid just for having a start page

juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-1999, 03:19 PM   #3
WildComputer

Cool

I have found the Tripod page - section 8 of this page http://www.tripod.com/planet/membership/signup/tos.html

I am writing to abuse@tripod.com and copyright@tripod.com now

------------------
  • DisAdvantage.co.uk - The Rules Have Changed...We don't understand them anymore! <--- Proud to be a very poor quality attempt to be funny
  • Add your site - Top 100 affiliate programs, webmasters, auto, cars, teen, games, jokes, free stuff...

Old 11-12-1999, 03:31 PM   #4
WildComputer

Cool

Actually I've just noticed he signed up for www.hits4me.com (in clear violation of my terms and conditions), user our service to configure a page he wanted - and then stole that page - see http://www.hits4me.com/topsite.asp?MID=119381

I am actually going to leave that account open until Tripod respond to my e-mail, then I terminate his account at hits4me.com

------------------

Old 11-12-1999, 03:50 PM   #5
Ariakas

Cool

Have you contacted the culprit yet? In mosts cases just write some mumbo jumbo about lawsuits and he will be scared off http://209.238.38.146/ubb/smile.gif

I doubt the tripod support will ever answer your e-mail...
Ariakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-1999, 04:16 PM   #6
WildComputer

Cool

I have written to him now, as well as tripod. If the pages concerned are not removed, I will also be writing to every other service he uses and his ISP to shut him down.

If the person concerned reads this board, he should be aware that I am not joking about possible legal action. I have the resource to pursue, and would do so if necessary.

------------------

Old 11-12-1999, 06:48 PM   #7
davenet
Member.

Question

Wow, this does not make sense to me at all. I can't see how such a minor, poorly constructed site can pose such a risk to your traffic or your money. This guy obviously will not inflict any pain on your income.

I understand your principles and "terms and conditions" but this guy is on Tripod... It would be an extreme over-reaction to persure such a small manner. That is unless he is redirecting your traffic, then I fully agree, but I don't think he is, please tell me otherwise.
davenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-1999, 07:29 PM   #8
juice
Member.

Cool

i agree, however i also know that wild computer is generally uptight about these
types of things http://209.238.38.146/ubb/smile.gif Personally i think its funny. odds are however that tripod will never answer your email. I have never had an email answered by them ever...

------------------
ignifuge.com- get paid just for having a start page

juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-1999, 09:04 PM   #9
Questy

Exclamation

WC,

I know this is frustrating for you, but you're big time now, it's part of the price you pay for being a "guru"

Also, the Tripod you are writing to (tripod.com) is the US version. The page you are complaining about is Tripod Netherlands (http://www.tripod.lycos.nl/) They may eventually get you to where you belong, but the US connection may not have direct access to the Netherlands site.

Legal action may be more hassle than it's worth, especially if its just some kid learning. (but he was stupid enough to leave my www.thecounter.com code in his page)

"Stealing code" is how many folks learn HTML, CGI, and every other language on the web. They slice a piece of you web site and try to form it as their own.

I volunteer for Tripod.com, the US version, can't speak for their Netherlands counterpart. They are usually pretty good at responding to abuse issues. Here again, it's the weekend, it may be a few days till someone gets back to you. Wait a day or two and see if the e-mail route works. Hang tight my friend. Keep us posted.

And I hope you don't mind, I'm moving this over to the webmasters forum, we can follow up over there, ok?

------------------

..... "Questy"

Editor of The geek/talk Chronicles
Visit The Worlds of Questy
Business ..|.. Philosophy ..|.. Society ..|.. Technology

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 11-12-1999).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-1999, 12:29 AM   #10
WildComputer

Cool

1. What is the abuse address for Netherlands Tripod. I can't reach Dutch. I e-mailed abuse@lycos.com and copyright@lycos.com

------------------

Old 11-13-1999, 12:36 AM   #11
WildComputer

Cool

1. What is the abuse address for Dutch Tripod? I e-mailed abuse@lycos.nl and copyright@lycos.nl - just got a bounce from copyright@

2. Yes I am uptight about this things. And I don't care whether he's learning or whatever - intellectual property is a valuable asset, and that's it as far as I'm concerned. If he removes the pages, I will let the matter rest, if not...

3. He may be an idiot, but he is not a total beginner - he also has a CJB redirect to his site at http://themp3planet.cjb.net/ I have written to admin@cjb.net too

------------------

Old 11-13-1999, 02:01 AM   #12
WildComputer

Cool

I know the 4 digit IP he used to create his account at Hits4me.com

(a) How can I tell what ISP this is
(b) How can I block this ISPs IPs from accessing my site (i.e. what IP and subnet mask would I use) to block access ?

I think his ip might correspond to wxs.nl or demon.nl both of which appear in my logs for that page. How do I know ?

------------------

[This message has been edited by WildComputer (edited 11-13-1999).]
Old 11-13-1999, 03:30 AM   #13
funpage

Cool

How did you find this page?

------------------
notboring.com - The most boring place on earth. Not!!!

funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-1999, 03:36 AM   #14
WildComputer

Cool

By chance

I saw it in the referers for a log, and just looked out of curiosity.

------------------

Old 11-13-1999, 07:49 AM   #15
Max

Arrow

I know the 4 digit IP he used to create his account at Hits4me.com
(a) How can I tell what ISP this is

You can use a program called CyberKit to resolve the IP number.

(b) How can I block this ISPs IPs from accessing my site (i.e. what IP and subnet mask would I use) to block access?

And as I understand, you use NT servers, so I'm not sure how block domains but on unix systems you add to the .htaccess file the like this:

deny from .demon.nl .wxs.nl .anyotherdomain.com

If it is an unresolvable IP, use
deny from 212.212.167

Leaving the last dot and number.

Hope this helps. http://209.238.38.146/ubb/smile.gif

Max is offline   Reply With Quote