Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2001, 11:14 AM   #1
Saver1

Unhappy How do you guys make money from your goto listing?

If you have a bid for $0.01 at goto that's $10.00 for ever 1,000 people right? How do you ever make anything with CPM being so low the only way you can make anything is if you where selling something from your site right? If all your money came from Ads on your site like mine how would you ever make more than 10 bucks from 1,000 people?

And now goto wants $0.05 for a minimum bid that's $50 bucks for every 1,000 people i don't know how you would ever make that much from 1,000 people. I don't get it maybe my math is all wrong i always ****** at it.... http://geekvillage.com/ubb/redface.gif

[This message has been edited by Saver1 (edited 03-05-2001).]
Saver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 11:26 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

One factor you're forgeting is the reality that if your site provides quality, original content, a user will likely bookmark the site or revisit at a later date. Thus, you don't always have to make your entire return from the first visit. Even in the first visit, though, you could easily make more than 1 cent if your content is compelling enough to encourage each visitor to view several pages, before departing by clicking on an affiliate link of some description.

That said, there are ways to profit purely from the maths of this situation. Now that AllClicks have reopened their exit program to new members, for example, you could setup several keywords paying 1 cent that lead to the page where you have the exit code installed. As well as claiming some banner revenue on the first impression, you will be ensured 1.5 cents as soon as the visitor leaves (and they *have* to leave eventually). Using this example, even if the visitor views only one page, and doesn't click on any banners or affiliate links, you can still make a clean profit of about 0.6-0.8 cents/visitor.

Of course, this is a rather simplistic view, and isn't much help to those who are forced to bid a minimum of 5 cents with GoTo, but it shows that thanks to AllClicks, it's now quite easy to make $10CPM+ from a single page.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 11:55 AM   #3
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

You are correct, at 5 cents per click, it would be very difficult for a content site not in a highly sought after field to produce a ROI from Goto traffic. Goto's listings at 1 cent could be maintained by the use of the right sponsors on a content based site as Czar pointed out. Although the new 5 cent system will no longer work for content sites, sites which actually sell products will still be able to do well with Goto. As long as the site produces an income of over 5 cents per visitor (very easy to do on sites which just sell products), then the site will continue to see a ROI from Goto traffic.

To answer your question in the topic (How do you guys make money from your goto listing?), I make it by sending the traffic to various sites I have designed to sell products. Goto traffic has been very profitable for me and will continue to be even after the 5 cent minimum bids go live.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 09:32 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

But it will also further increase the proliferation of commerce-oriented search results, while almost eradicating the interesting "information-seeking" style of links mentioned by wsz.

It will be interesting to see how this affects surfer's usage of the engine. At present, it returns quite accurate results, with a healthy blend of shopping and content-based sites featured. When the low bidders are forced to leave in Sept, GoTo may more closely resemble a comparison shopping site, rather than a search engine.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 12:33 AM   #5
wsz

Unhappy

I currently have a mixture of bids, with some search terms being "information-seeking" (suggesting the the visitor wants to read the info on the site), and other search terms being "product-seeking" (suggesting that the visitor wants something that one of my sponsors can provide.)

At one cent, the "information-seeking" terms may be viable. But at five cents, that could be rather questionable. I am hoping that paying five cents for the "product-seeking" terms will still be OK for driving traffic to pages with relevant pay-per-lead/sale affiliate links.

When GoTo's "grandfather" period expires in September, I think I will possibly delete a lot of bids on "information-seeking" terms, and keep at least some of the "product-seeking" ones.

------------------
Web Sponsor Zone - Internet Advertising Directory
http://www.websponsorzone.com
Earn Money With Your Site
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 12:56 AM   #6
truelight
Member.

Unhappy

Hmm, this was an effect I did not see. Having a 0.05 CPM on goto keywords will filter out those sites that rely on passing traffic (i.e. building a site full of horrid pigpoo and a lot of banners, and thus encouraging the visitor leave using a banner, than staying)
truelight is offline   Reply With Quote