Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2001, 04:09 PM   #1
Paperboy

Angry Luna Network: January Report

Just got my January Luna Network report - I thought it might be down a little but I was shocked to see just how disappointing it was (34% sellout rate with a total just over 1/10th of my November figure, 1/4 of my December figure and barely enough to cover hosting costs).

After such a promising and lucrative start this is so disappointing - at least those forum members who got booted from the program should take a little heart that they aren't missing much. Hopefully the new code with pop ups and tower ads should improve things - fingers crossed.

I'd be interested to see how everyone else went in January - any increases from last month?

------------------
The Paperboy
Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:25 PM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

same here - 35% sellout and net CPM down 75% from Dec 2000 figures

what's worse my ex-webhost burst.net/ultraspeedusa.com wrongfully charged my credit card for US$1200 http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

what a fine mess i am in http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

At least i have 4 - 5 months of hosting funds to last me through this period

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:39 PM   #3
JJJay

Unhappy

Yeah it was also a pretty bad month for me 34% sellout rate and the cpm was pretty low also. I'm still waiting to receive my new adcode. Do you guys know if the CPM paid for the tower ads is per impression or per unique visitor? If its per impression then that would be great. Regarding the pop up, how many are shown, onload and unload, 2?
JJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:44 PM   #4
robot

Unhappy

Same here, but I've been on a roller coaster some time. Now I think it's time for it to go UP.
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 05:49 PM   #5
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

i am still waiting for the new code for the ad jacket/tower ads as well ..

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 06:01 PM   #6
gbrott

Unhappy

I was really surprised - I noticed that January seemed to have a lot of "real" ads being run and I was expecting better than december.

One thing I was curious about - they run a lot of "About uBid" banners, even though they are uBid banners I don't think we get paid for them.

Anyone else surprised that they only sold 30%? I would have bet money it was more.

gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 06:02 PM   #7
Paperboy

Unhappy

It will be interesting to see what sort of sellout rates About can get for the tower and popups - if it's half decent then I'm confident things should start to look up again. It will be interesting to see what is said during the upcoming conference call on Friday - unfortunately it will be very early Saturday morning here in Australia. I definitely think Luna should stop recruiting new sites until sellout rates improve.

------------------
The Paperboy
Old 02-27-2001, 06:06 PM   #8
Paperboy

Unhappy

Gbrott

I know what you mean, there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between the quality of the ads served and the figures at the end of the month. Some of my best months have consisted entirely of default looking ads like Beliefnet etc.

------------------
The Paperboy
Old 02-27-2001, 06:16 PM   #9
robot

Unhappy

I think that you have to be careful when estimating sellout rates based on ads that you see. Ad targeting may show somwhat different results depending on your location and behavior. Also, I too suspect that some house ads may be a bit hard to recognize (ubid is probably an example).

I have often been surprised by results - but it has often been a happy surprise.

[This message has been edited by robot (edited 02-27-2001).]
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 07:51 PM   #10
mp3next
Member.

I just woke up from passing out and hitting the floor serving 1,000,000 impressions i made next to nothing.... i'm pretty upset about this, also i don't understand how luna could sit by and watch something like this happen....

oh yeah this is my first post... hey everyone sorry i had to start out on a unhappy note... =P

------------------
mp3next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 08:22 PM   #11
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Welcome to geek/Talk, mp3next. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif It's a pity it isn't under more pleasant circumstances.

It looks like the last of the reps for medium-sized sites has dropped. Luna seemed to be a stalwart during the past month, while Engage, Burst!, FastClick and Sonar all dropped their rates around them. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

I guess the surprise must have been escalated due to the fact that you can't track your stats on a daily basis.

Oh well, here's looking forward to the market pickup now that the IAB and others are starting to re-evaluate the banner model from a ground roots level. The challenge for those of us who want to continue making money from our sites will be to survive the next few months. Those who do should experience a solid, though gradual, rise in effective CPM rates.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 09:57 PM   #12
Chazhound

Cool

My sellout was 37% so they say...

My income dropped accordingly http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Chazhound http://www.FunnyPostcard.com
Chazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:29 PM   #13
GuruChoc

Unhappy

Total 468x60 Impressions Served: 1,660,486
Total 468x60 Impressions Sold: 582,729
Total 468x60 Barter Impressions Accrued: 1,077,757

Simply stunning, covered 60% of my hosting costs http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif Come on Bluefish.
GuruChoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 07:43 AM   #14
Arie

Unhappy

Yep, same here... 38% sell out rate, CPM -44% from December http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

And the new code is a mess!

------------------
Regards,

Arie Slob,
InfiniSource, Inc.
http://www.infinisource.com
Internet & Windows Resources
Arie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:51 AM   #15
sdarken

Unhappy

Anybody care to mention your overall CPM rates from Luna for January. Over or under 50c/CPM ?

[This message has been edited by sdarken (edited 03-02-2001).]
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote