Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2001, 09:19 AM   #1
regier

Unhappy Sites that make money?

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on types of sites that could be created that would make money in the current market. It would need to be selling something, as I don't trust the current banner market.

Basically where I am comming from is that I currently have around 4 million impressions a month. From that it looks like I will make around $4-500 in banner advertising, which doesn't come close to covering the server costs. I am thinking of starting up a couple of secondary sites that would make money and then just advertise them on my network.

The first one that I will start is a web hosting company, as they seem to be keeping quite strong. I am looking for something that has a more general interest though.

In the past I have heard that ebooks sell quite good, but that it is hard to get traffic to that type of site.

Does anyone have other suggestions?
regier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 10:25 AM   #2
maxpower

Unhappy

How about sites that will serve ads?? Any ads?

1. Tribal Fusion is serving blank pages today.

2. Valueclick is serving most defaults - good thing I have a CJ program set as the default.

3. Adtegrity is serving CALLWAVE and CYBER REBATE- I just signed up for CALLWAVE myself and now I don't have to give them their % of sale.

4. FOCUSIN is only running about 8 different campaigns - the largest one is the Network SOlutions CPC which is getting about .0001 CTR.

5. Amazing Media is running all defaults at .50 CPM. Does anyone think they wil actually pay webmasters to show the AM banner at .50 CPM? Amazing Media: use at your own risk.

5. The Best thing running (recommended) is FASTCLICK. I hear that they are not taking new publishers though.

6. Burst and Engage won't even reply to request to be added to their network.

I say that we remove all banners, with the exception of affiliates that are pertinent to our sites.

I for one hate the fact that I served 67,000 Network solutions banners (through FOCUSIN) already this month for a grand total of $2.00. Talk about BRANDING!

maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:04 AM   #3
regier

Unhappy

That is exactly what I am thinking too. Currently it isn't even worth it for me to have the ads on my site. It seems like a waste to show ads for a company and only get $0.10 CPM in exchange.
regier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 12:33 AM   #4
Even Steven

Unhappy

Seems like website building is the one topic that has tons of affiliate programs, and tons of advertisers. You can also refer people to affiliate programs and earn the "double tier" commissions. It's so popular because it's "horizontal". That is, it crosses over into every vertical market.

Problem is, it's the one topic that has the most competition.

Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote