Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-1999, 09:49 AM   #1
davidg1234

Cool Misc. Altavista Information

Well every single one of my sites bar 1 have been deleted from Altavista and my allclicks earnings have dropped from $25/day to $2.
I have been researching the changes today to see what steps I should take to get back in with all of my sites so I thought I would share some of the info with y'all.

_____ http://doc.altavista.com/company_inf...r102599c.shtml
press release

think AV is using the same index but they're only allowing one of your pages to show per search or only your home page. Hence the [more pages from this site] button. Note also the [Company Factsheet] link on some entries, click this and you get a listing of any other domains registered to this company, anyone know where they're pulling this info from? It's not on all urls, so I don't think it's coming from Internic.
_____

AV is still spidering with their same spider. However two more IP's have been added to their already numerous count.

The difference with most directories such as ODP is that humans edit the submissions and they are not spidered. There are some directories and I can be corrected here, such as yahoo who use humans but then send out their spider thereafter.

A word of caution here in re-submitting (right now and until we know anything else we must re-submit), I assume AV are still regarding more than 1 submission as spam

____

They are indexing multiple pages but will only list the most relevant one (for the search you perform). They are giving the user a link to see the rest of the indexed pages from that site. This is to stop people from having a monopoly of the top spots. Also they have entroduced a new "patented duplicate elimination technology" to stop the over use of doorway pages. They claim this new technology will detect the submission of same or similiar pages and dump the duplicates. This means if your doorways are not different enough they will be ignored.

____

Underlying the New AltaVista Search are several core-level technology innovations that firmly extend AltaVista's leadership, specifically in the areas of scope, relevancy and freshness. AltaVista Search debuted the world's largest index today, spanning an unprecedented 90 percent of Web sites, 250 million unique pages and 25 million multimedia objects. A powerful new relevancy formula brings "quality" pages to the top of search results. And AltaVista's new "Living Index" crawls the Web "intelligently," recording how often pages are updated, to ensure AltaVista Search always has the Web's freshest information.

____

When AltaVista Search users want the benefit of a human opinion on a Web page, they can now turn to the new AltaVista Directory, a vast collection of Web sites and pages reviewed by people from around the world. The new directory is based on Netscape's Open Directory Project (ODP), which has more than one million Web pages that are reviewed by human editors globally. In addition, the AltaVista Directory will soon include more than one million high quality, unique URLs from Looksmart, which uses 180 professional editors to review sites. With more than two million pages, the AltaVista Directory will easily be the largest, most comprehensive and freshest on the Web.

____
davidg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote