Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2001, 08:45 AM   #1
truelight
Member.

Unhappy "Based in the US".. What does that mean?

I have run into an advertising company that want the webiste to be "based in the US". What on earth does this mean?

My site is on a server in the US, and it is in English, targeted internationally - but I, myself, the webmaster is in Sweden. Does this mean the site is based in Sweden?
truelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 05:18 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

When an ad agency specifies that it only accepts sites "based in the US", they're not talking about the location of the server or the audience (although the latter may be implied also).

They mean that they only send checks to American addresses, and to companies or individuals who are subject to American tax laws. They'll usually ask for a Tax ID or SSN to verify this.

Since you do not live in the States, you would not be eligible for participation in the program to which you refer.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads: Get More Hits. Make More Money.
www.net-ads.com
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 06:43 AM   #3
truelight
Member.

Red face

Oooh, that's interesting. This essentially means I can have a friend in the states that gets the check, and then paypals me the money. Great thanks.
truelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 07:11 AM   #4
gbrott

Unhappy

But your friend will have to pay the taxes...assuming you make more than $600 in one year.
gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 09:01 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

I had thought of that too, but like gbrott says, your friend will be stuck with the tax cheque (as all of the major networks now ask for a Tax ID or SSN number).

It shouldn't really be a barrier. I live outside of the US, and have only encountered a few programs that require you to be US-based. Just give the program in question a miss and move on to another...

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads: Get More Hits. Make More Money.
www.net-ads.com
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote