Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2000, 11:11 PM   #1
wcmike

Unhappy Is a banner exchange going to generate income these days?

I'm interested in starting a banner exchange. I plan on making one with detailed stats and a professional design, not one that is run by a free cgi script. Would this be something that could generate traffic and income, or is the banner exchange market too crowded? It seems like a banner exchange would not be extremely time consuming to maintain, and that's why I am thinking of starting one.

If this would be a good idea please let me know what feautures could/would make it successful and stand out more from other banner exchanges.

If this is a bad idea please tell me why.

All help is appreciated.
wcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 04:10 PM   #2
wcmike

Unhappy

I really need some advice guys. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
wcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 05:26 PM   #3
qword

Exclamation

Hi,

I'am developing the same thing.
To tell the truth - I do not think that it will bring much money - ~$2000 per month,
$10000 max, however for myself I simply do not know what else to do.

In the whole, typical site in banner exchange network brings about 30 banner views dairly - you can canculate how much active websites are needed to make some money.

See for example hitexchange.net - they showing about 80000 banners per day for almost a year! (stats are at the bottom of the main page) and recently stop any support.

The positive examples are www.linkbuddies.com
and www.exchange-it.com

When I started to develop I thought it was cool - today it is too late to stop.

BTW - it will be the professional banner exchange. For example I've developed my own HTTP server for this thing - runs of FreeBSD 4.0+ can handle more than 1000 concurrent requests per second, eats tiny ammount of memory
(Apache ***** ).

Good Luck.
qword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 01:55 PM   #4
wsz

Unhappy

As I understand it, banner exchanges generate revenue for the owner by including paid ads mixed in with the exchange ads.

Don't the paying advertisers have a problem with this? Aren't they concerned about having their banners shown on sites that they haven't reviewed for acceptable content?

While the owners of a banner exchange may be totally legit, honest, etc, and may enforce appropriate content restrictions, it seems like there would be a high risk of the paying sponsors getting upset if they found out how they were being used.

Am I missing something here?

------------------
Web Sponsor Zone - Internet Advertising Directory
http://www.websponsorzone.com
Earn Money With Your Site
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 02:29 PM   #5
emmzee
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

I think that for banner exchanges, getting CPM or even CPC advertisers is pretty much out of the question, however:

I would imagine that most per-lead sponsors (or per-sale I guess) wouldn't have much of a problem with using their banners in a banner exchange, but you'd of course have to ask them first. Back when I had ideas of starting a FWP (*groans, rolls eyes*), I messaged a couple different sponsors ... I don't remember which ones, but I recall that most of them had no problem putting their ads on user's websites. (I remember that goto.com was one of them that had no problem ... they said I could put their searchboxes on all user's pages.) I know it's not the same thing, but it's pretty close.

I'm sure that some sponsors would have no problem with using their ads on member's sites, assuming that some sort of screening process was ongoing by the banner exchange, like each account doesn't become active until visually checked by the maintainer. I'm assuming that the Standard Internet programs could be used in this way (like, BulkClicks for instance, or the poker one) ... if I'm wrong, please correct me SI, I don't want to be spreading false info here. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Of course, if you have other websites, you could also just advertise your other sites in place of "paying" banners, that way you'd make indirect money by increasing the traffic to your other sites.

There are of course still a couple problems as I see it ... these are:

- how to make sure that clean sites stay that way, and guys don't register a site for the exchange, have it checked, and then change it to some hardcore pr0n the next day http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
- is it really worth the effort for the money?
- the banner market is already crowded, and there are already plenty of good choices ... like LinkBuddies and HitExchange, both excellent services which I've used in the past ... this may not be a problem though, seeing how many hundreds of free webpage services there are out there (see freewebspace.net for a list)

Anywho, I'm winded. That's my 2 1/2 cents. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Darren Hewer
webmaster, www.dosgames.com & www.potofgold.org
dosgames.com is back! Visit for over 200 freeware/shareware DOS games.
"Some people have a way with words, while others ... uhhhhh ... thingy."
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 04:00 PM   #6
Aaron Dragushan

Unhappy

As a general question of what industry/category to get into, I'd say banners aren't the best bet.

The sites using banner exchanges are usually new to the game, since established/high traffic sites usually work out their own deals with related sites. If a new site take off, they almost always leave the exchange and try to sell their ads...

That leaves you with small sites, which require lots of support, compared to revenue they add for you.

Just my .02! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 02:16 AM   #7
emailer

Smile

The problem I found is that banner exchanges do not generate enough traffic/revenue. I was impressed with LinkBuddies but dropped it for this reason.

A suggestion. Try half size member banners, together with much smaller graphic links [ie ads], that combined would be about the size of a full size banner. The ads could generate you some money.

Good luck.
emailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 10:16 AM   #8
qword

Smile

Yeah, thats right.
This is why I've wrote that the typical member will generate about 30 impressions per day.

However things are going better now. ;-)

Selling the impressions is easy - just make the high clickable "Free Stuff" banner and send the traffic to your newly created free stuff site(this is the easiest way)
qword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 01:10 PM   #9
Rendelius

Unhappy

Just an additional question: I am running a highly targeted banner exchange (accepting only roleplaying sites) - and this banner exchange showed about 1.9 million banners over the last three months. After following the thread here, I thought companies like Interplay (doing RPG's) could be interested in placing banners for their games here, since they are accurately targeted on our partner sites.

My question is - how much could I charge for 1000 impressions then? Suggestions are highly welcome :-)

------------------
Rendelius is offline   Reply With Quote