Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2000, 11:52 PM   #1
SJ

Question Targeted or Higher CPC?

I was wondering what you guys think about this. I have been using CPC ad networks for awhile now but havent been making that much money because of my low CTR. Most of the ads arent targeted to what the site is about but i am making 20 cents per click. So, instead i am thinking about using Commission Junction. A lot of their programs are great but none have them have a high CPC. My question is, is is better to get a higher CPC but get less clicks OR have a lower CPC and get more clicks.
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2000, 12:31 AM   #2
sdarken

Unhappy

You will make the most money with CJ if you find pay-per-lead or pay-per-sale programs which work well on your site. (ie: find something of great interest to your site's visitors and promote it rather than just throwing up a banner). Typically the CPC programs pay very little per click and the rates for programs which are popular quickly get reduced down to nothing.

If you tell us what your site is, someone here might be able to suggest a couple of appropriate programs for you.

- Simon
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2000, 03:48 AM   #3
webstuff4free

Unhappy

sdarken is right, I use CJ and a couple of others and make most of my money on pay-per-lead and pay-per-sale. They are highly targeted and I make far more than I would getting paid by the click. In fact, my CPM rate works out to be very high.
webstuff4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2000, 03:22 PM   #4
sterlingbeck

Unhappy

Whichever makes you the most money. Try them both for a week, the one that earns the most should be obvious.

------------------
Sterling Beck
23d Networks
sterlingbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2000, 03:30 PM   #5
SJ

Unhappy

Well, the problem that i am having is that i have a low CTR and a low traffic (100 uniques daily). If only one person out of 1000 visitors clicked and joined the program, i would of made 50 cents for 10 days. That would take me quite a few months until i actually get a check.
SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2000, 08:04 PM   #6
patrickw

Unhappy

Look at it like this:

You get 100 uniques per day, hopefully you can get 1 lead from a good CJ program. There are alot of freebie/contest ones that pay around $1.50. That would be 1.50 a day, times 30 days in a month, you would make $45. That would be enough to pay your server bills and put some gas in the car.

I can't remember what CJ's minimum is right off, and I'm not gonna speculate. Someone will post what their minimum payout is.

If you look around, you can find a good paying program.

Heavily promote your site and get more traffic. That will get you more visitors, which (in theory) will get you more money.

Later,

patrick
patrickw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2000, 12:44 AM   #7
suresk

Unhappy

The min. on CJ is $25

The real question to ask yourself is how much higher is the CTR compared to the CPC? Really what you are looking for is which one is going to make you the highest Net CPM, which is Clicks x Amount Per Click. Here's a quick, simple example:

Sponsor A pays 18 cents per click
Sponsor B pays 4 cents per click

Scenario 1:
Sponsor A's CTR is .25%, Sponsor B's CTR is 1.5%.
Sponsor B is better, @ 60 Cents CPM (15 Clicks x .04 CPC) than Sponsor A @ 40 Cents CPM (2.5 clicks x .18 CPC).

Scenario 2:
Sponsor A's CTR is .45%, Sponsor B's CTR is 1.2%.
Sponsor A is better, @ 81 Cents CPM (4.5 clicks x .18 CPC) than Sponsor B @ 48 Cents CPM (12 Clicks x .04 CPC).

Test them out, then compare the CTR and do a bit of math, and you'll have which one is better! Its quite simple really, I hope I haven't confused you more http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

HTH

------------------
Spencer Uresk
spencer@uresk.net <A HREF="http://www.dailystarts.com" TARGET=_blank>
Daily Starts</A><A HREF="http://www.celebgrams.com" TARGET=_blank>
CelebGrams</A>

[This message has been edited by suresk (edited 11-26-2000).]
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote