Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-1999, 02:23 AM   #1
Heartz

Lightbulb Enticing People To Post In My Bulletin Boards

Hello People ,

I wanted to continue this post in the Names section but I thought that I better start a new thread to keep to the topic .

Anyway , the thing that Steve said in the Names thread really got me thinking . How am I going to get people to post ? Can I exceed WildComputer's total post ? As active as this board might be , it is people like WildComputer and others in the top 50 , I could say , that keep it alive .

I can't remember how I actually found this forum , but I do know that it was through ClickQuick ( http://www.clickquick.com ) .

I also remember that I spent about 1-2 months lurking around before I actually started posting . Shyness I guess .

So how do you get people to post . I am currently negotiating with a few webmasters to host their forums with me but then this again does not guarantee traffic . I will never surpass the targetted traffic unless I have high powered advertising of which I can't afford . So just how can I start off ?

I haven't officially launched the service for now but is there anyway that I can actually get people to start posting ?

I have considered this . Starting of the whole bulletin board with fake posts. Make it seem that people are posting and having discussions so that they then start to get interested and post .

I have also told myself this . I am NOT intending to make any form of renumeration from this boards project till I at least can get a decent crowd .

I have also planned to offer any webmasters that host their forums with me free banner space at the bottom of the page . This will be done through a banner rotater and will rotate the banners of webmasters in the system . This will hopefully entice them subscribe to my service .

Tell me people , what would you do if you were in my place ?

Quote:
A brief summary on a cashless webmaster

Last Bank Statement : $10
Enthuthiasm : 100%
Skills : 20 - 30 % ( there's just so much more to learn )
Dreams : To make Heartz Communities A YAHOO!
Ponder Upon It World

------------------
Heartz Communities, www.heartz.com
Free Web-Based Email --> www.heartz.com
Heartz Forums Is Up !
Interested Webmasters Please Email Me For Your Free Forum at webmaster@heartz.com or ICQ 12714821

Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-1999, 06:55 AM   #2
kris
Member.

Cool

Whatever you do, don't make your visitors REGISTER in order to post. Don't get me wrong, I believe that registering is good, but... many people tend to shy away or not post at all if they have to sign up/register in order to post. I have seen too many people like that. My forum doesn't require people to register and there are close to 2000 daily posters there. If you haven't done so already, get a forum that automatically filters out foul language. About making up fake discussions, I don't think thats such a good idea, but if works, why not?

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by kris (edited 09-23-1999).]
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-1999, 10:17 AM   #3
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Hi Cousin Heartz,

I think contacting other Webmasters is a great idea. Achieving "Sucess" with boards like this with a Webmaster focus is very very difficult. Other boards with a different focus launch fast and grow very quickly.

Their has to be "content". Real answers that help people. You need to find someone like Ryan or Questy in the early stages of their efforts and grow with them. Choose people of high quality. Never ever compramise your integrity as I'm sure you won't. Even if their site is brand new with only a few things on it you can see that it's high quality. These are the folks to seek out.

Their are no "magic bullets" so this stuff takes time, hard work, and patience. Without the valuable services of Ryan and Questy this BB would never succeed. Iv'e left all the posts in place to remind me how it all started. You can see the two or three of us talking to ourselves and looking around for other posts. Others were watching and eventually learned and posted.

Kris makes a valid point about an "open board" and I ran this one that way untill I suffered very serious abuse and recieved some very alarming private e-mail from "vendors" I really had two choices, close the board or "tighten" security. I think and hope we have chosen a reasonable policy. Watch your board closely and run it "open" as long as you can.

"Members" of any flavor are the lifeblood of the Community. Try and "Welcome" each and every one with your own post. This gets harder to do as you grow but makes them feel part of the Community. Exspect a few people to violate your rules. Warn them politely and with respect. They often turn out to be a very active member.

If you are looking for 10 members like WildComputer or numerous other members we have, I'm afraid it's highely unlikely that you will find them. He does far more than just post. He and many others bring content, valuable and insightfull thoughts, set an example for others, and a friendly atmosphere to our Community.

All members, regardless of the number of posts, are valuable. Some just like to read, rarely post, tell their friends, and help us spread the word.

Today, my most rewarding experience has nothing to do with trafic or revenue. When I see the "networking" aspects of our Comminity at work it gives me the greatest feeling in the world. Stuff like one member designing a site for another, e-mailing a tweaked graphic, fixing code and posting the new page, testing pages or apps, and numerous other things that go way way beyond answering a post. No Administrators or Moderators involved.

Best of luck with your BB http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-1999, 03:02 PM   #4
WildComputer

Cool

Thanks for the kind words Steve

heartz visit www.experts-exchange.com for a different perspective on community message boards. Experts-exchange is still an interesting place, but recent crass commercialization (IMHO, some probably like it) has greatly devalued it, so I only visit it occassionally now. It just shows how thin the line is.

------------------
Add your site - to the top 100 - affiliate programs, free stuff, shareware, cars, games, sports....
www.hits4me.com/custom/

[This message has been edited by WildComputer (edited 09-23-1999).]
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-1999, 05:36 PM   #5
Questy

Wink

RE: Whatever you do, don't make your visitors REGISTER in order to post.

I don't believe registering has any effect on a true "beleivers" posting on a board. If I really believe in what a board is about registering is a small price to pay for the interaction of being a part of that board.

From a negative side, myself personally, I've been pretty lucky. I have only a small number of incidents to report for all my years of activity "online." I have seen good forums, and good members of forums run off because of unprofessional activities. I guess for that reason I don't mind registering, and even in some cases answering a few personal questions before becoming a member of a forum.

Think about the line recent crass commercialization (IMHO, some probably like it) has greatly devalued it, so I only visit it occassionally now. It just shows how thin the line is.

I also see some potentially good forums push too hard to be commercial outposts. I honestly believe many of our "surfers" here try too hard to sell products, rather than themselves. Steve has done wonders here with this board in just a few months, and I am very careful that posts are professional and on target. It is a labor of love, and not one for profit.

Many of you live thousands of miles away, in fact Steve and I live about 3000 miles apart, and the fact that not only Steve and I, but you Hertz, and WildComputer, and all the rest of the gang, are literally scattered all over the world is a true example of "community."

This community is based on real content, and real answers that help people.

Best of Luck

------------------
Regards,
...Questy

Forum Moderator, full time computerguy, part time philosopher..
www.questy.com ... www.computerguru.net ... www.eden.nu

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-1999, 01:48 AM   #6
Heartz

Cool

Hello people ,

Sorry it has been sometime since I last posted . Just taking some time off from my busy examination schedule . Come October 5th and I will be Free ! http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway , after some carefull consideration , I have decided that I will still go ahead with my registration ideas . What I know is that I would not have the password sent to the posted email address - a method to make sure his email address is legit . This is because I frequently don't bother posting in boards that require the password to be sent , prompting me to go and check my password and then come back and post . In fact the main reason I signed up for this board in the first place was it allowed me to post instantly ! http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

More to come really . These holidays I am going to work and save upsome cash . I was thinking of advertising in either GoTo.com or Clicktrade . Any views on this ? I have read in other boards that advertising in Clicktrade has its bad points , namely people just clicking and then 5 seconds later clicking their back button .

And Steve , my focus was not on Webmaster boards like this one . I want to create a community discussion . Topics on anything is really fine with me . The webmasters I was contacting were for special interest groups .

More feedback needed . Thanks http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif .

------------------
Heartz Forums Is Up !
Interested Webmasters Please Email Me For Your Free Forum at webmaster@heartz.com or ICQ 12714821

Old 09-26-1999, 10:20 AM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

Hello Cousin Heartz http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Some tips:

(1) Open your BB with a small number of Forums. You will need a Help Forum and then a Forum for each subject that the Webmaster you choose has promised to bring trafic to your BB. A single lively Forum is much better than 3 "empty" Forums.

(2) Set up rules and procedures for your Moderators. Watch them closely untill you are satisified that they meet your standards. Then they have absolute and total control of their respective forums. Encourage them to contact you if they aren't sure how to handle a member or verbage in a specific post.

(3) Strive for "quality" and not "volume" aka number of posts. Volume will come later as a natural result of your efforts.

(4) Personally welcome each and every new member.

(5) Your role as Admin and site owner will gradually change. This is a healthy sign. As the community grows your members will "police" and "promote". Your members will answer most posts. Then you reach a point where your time is spent promoting, auditing, maintenance, and pro-active invitations to vendors and the like. Saying this another way: today, this BB is owned and operated by it's valuable members.

(6) Don't get discouraged. A lot of people told me that this BB would never work since the site is a curious and amusing mixture of "stuff" The site is not Webmaster oriented and really lacks a single purpose. Sure, I have a few Webmaster services but nothing that a zillon other sites don't have. http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif We proved them all wrong.

(7) Have fun. Lot's of fun. It's a labor of love.

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-1999, 01:18 PM   #8
Heartz

Lightbulb

Point taken cousin Steve , http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

It is for these kind of post that I come to this Bulletin Board . And yes Steve , I still prefer this bulletin over the rest because of the sense of community this board has .

I will definately strive to get my board to equal/better this board . What I would like to know is how you actually managed to draw people to post in the early stages . What was your initial traffic ? What were the setbacks ? How did you get the ball rolling ? Most important of all is how did you get a board with no post initially to a board like this today ! What were your promotion techniques ?

Hope you and anybody else who runs forums can pitch in !

http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Heartz Forums Is Up !

Old 09-27-1999, 10:11 PM   #9
Heartz

Cool

I am considering purchasing keywords from GoTo.com . I consider them very cheap . However , I am having problems buying , choosing keywords and understanding the whole GoTo concept.

I need a list of possible keywords I can list my site under . Everytime I try searching for keywords and using their check how many times it is accessed thingy , I get a server timeout . It could just be my server here at campus . Could someone help me and search out these terms I plan to buy and how many times they have been accessed:-

Quote:
online communities
bulletin boards
bulletin board
forum
Also I need someone to explain to me how the whole thing works . If I am not mistaken , GoTo works like a phone card . I buy credit . Then someone clicks on my link at the goto site when they search for it . GoTo debits the account when this happens correct ?

How can some people pay so much for a click . For instance I checked out web-hosting (that was the most popular example) and people are paying up to $4.19 per click to GoTo !!!

Help required .

http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Heartz Forums Is Up !

Old 09-28-1999, 12:46 AM   #10
Questy

Red face

540 hits for bulletin board, 1393 for bulletin boards, 1888 for forum in August 1999.

.08 would have you crack the top 5 for bulletin boards, not bad I guess. Forum would cost you .20 to make the top 5, is it worth it?

Just playing around with the numbers, you could easily spend $500 per month, have you done a cost analysis to see what you break even point? At point is it worth it? What do you hope to sell? For answers to these and other questions, maybe we need to start a new post in the business forum?

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 09-28-1999).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-1999, 01:50 AM   #11
WildComputer

Cool

Heartz there is discussion of buying traffic at Goto in the money making board.

Personally I would never buy traffic for more than a few cents per click. If Goto is too expensive, then buy your traffic elsewhere.

Get a theasaurus, try synonyms, mis-spelt words etc. and you can probably find words with lower bids. It is worth making a low bid for even expensive terms, and is if the term is popular you may still get a few hits even if you're in position #40 or whatever - provided your title & description is relevant.

------------------
Add your site - to the top 100 - affiliate programs, free stuff, shareware, cars, games, sports....
www.hits4me.com/custom/
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-1999, 12:00 AM   #12
Heartz

Cool

Thanks for the tip about the mis-spelt words . I have identified the words that I want and am now in the process of cutting out a check to GoTo.com . The best part of the whole goto search engine is that you can bid on millions of words all for the same price !!! I really like that .

Most of the words that I am bidding for have a 300-400 searches a month and for the cost that I want ---> 0.01 cents ---> this is just so wonderful !

Still actively negotiating with many sites to host their boards with my community . I am also going to consider post trading (i.e. you post in my forum and I will come visit and post a relevant good quality post on yours ) . I noticed that some people in GetHighForums.com are doing this with quite some good results to startup a board .

What do you guys think ? Am I moving the right direction ?

More Feedback Needed

------------------
Heartz Forums Is Up !