Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2000, 02:29 AM   #1
AK

Arrow CTR by country

Earlier this month I changed sponsor for my "default" banners to one that provides statistics on impressions/clickthoughs broken down by country. I was pretty amazed by the huge difference in CTR between the different countries.

These are the CTRs for visitors from counties that have been served 1,000 banner impressions or more:

7.22% - The Netherlands
5.23% - France
3.67% - Finland
3.46% - Japan
2.33% - Austria
2.04% - United Kingdom
2.02% - Spain
1.95% - Germany
1.87% - Sweden
1.69% - Mexico
1.38% - Australia
1.28% - Brazil
0.80% - United States
0.60% - Canada
0.52% - Italy
0.40% - New Zealand

(There's also Kyrgzstan, to which I've served less than a hundred impressions, but so far has a CTR of 33%!)

I'm not really trying to make a point here, but I found these stats kind of interesting and I thought you might too. There has been nothing special about the banners that would make them more targeted for a certain country, so I don't know why people from countries at the top of the list clicks on more than 10 times as many banners as the countries at the bottom.

Now I just have to figure out what I could do to bring more Dutch people to my sites.
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 03:38 AM   #2
Jarusa

Lightbulb

This is really interesting, I think it might have something to do with the newness of your visitors to the net.

When people first get on the net, banners are interesting and CTR's initially would be high. As these people get more experience they become less aware of banners and consequently CTR's for banners would, I assume, drop over time.

Therefore, if a country has a higher than average number of new entrants to the net as a percentage of total people on the net in that country then it might be reasonable to expect CTR's to be higher in those countries.

------------------
Have a bit of fun on the net again.
http://www.jarusa.com/
Jarusa is offline   Reply With Quote