Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2000, 05:20 PM   #1
JonathanLB
Member.

Post Banner ad companies are rejecting me, now what? Please help

Although it is pretty early to post this, I just have a bad feeling. I sent five applications in total, two of them have already been rejected by good companies.

I was first rejected from Clear Blue Media with JLH-Online.com. Nevertheless, they accepted my other site, JLBMedia.com, into their program. Still, that site gets almost no hits right now, we're talking 150-200 a day on good days. It did just start and we just got a directory listing on Yahoo!, but the point is, the banner ads won't make me anything right now...

JLH-Online, get this, is receiving 50,000+ page views a day, but these places rejected it because "we won't need another celebrity site, we already have 15 JLH ones," or "We are not looking for more entertainment sites right now" (Burst Media). Well, first of all I don't care if they have 15 JLH sites, mine gets more hits than all 15 of them, so come on guys. That is what CBM told me...

Now, I also have applications in to Everyone.net, Advertising.com, and Focus In.

What if all three of those places reject me?!? I will not just sit around with a site that receives 1.5 million page views per month and make no money on it, that's absurd. There are small things like Amazon and Search Traffic, but that is only a very limited source of revenue. Face it, I need banner ads.

So, where do I go? I'm willing to take totally discounted prices if these places reject me. Even a net CPM of 50 cents is reasonable for me, but it must be something...

I really need help here. Thank you.
JonathanLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2000, 05:33 PM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

not to get your hopes up, but i think everyone.net will definitely accept you. They accepted my forum only site at http://animeboards.net after clearbluemedia rejected me and i cancelled with amazingmedia ... i am trying to find temp advertisers with no exclusives right now to fill in until other big things are meant to happen... so everyone.net seems to be the best bet

based on my nonexclusive rates with everyone.net (US$0.50 - 0.60CPM), you'll probably find it will be the best paying option for your site.

------------------
Australian Evangelion
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2000, 05:54 PM   #3
JonathanLB
Member.

Unhappy

Yes, I had figured that they are the most likely to accept my site.

I did "exclusive," actually. I really am not disappointed if I am making at least 50 cents per 1,000 impressions. If I could make 75 cents, that would absolutely rule for me.

My negative costs for buying the JLH site were really low compared to what I should be able to make, so if it works out I'm not going to complain! lol.

I think that my movie site has tons of potential and I am willing to put the work into it in order to make it one of the greatest of its kind (top 20). Nevertheless, building a great site can be pretty easy in comparison to getting the hits...

This is the first and LAST time I deal with a celebrity site. This is embarassing, 1.5 million monthly page views is AWESOME and if I was getting that on my movie site I bet I could make $2,000 a month easily. On this site, sheesh, I'll be lucky to find ONE banner ad company to accept me.
Old 09-21-2000, 05:56 PM   #4
suresk

Thumbs up

I'd give FastClick.com a try. I've been using them and have been pretty impressed. My average CPM (after they take their cut out) has been around $2CPM.

------------------
Spencer Uresk
spencer@uresk.net
Come Check out my site, I just re-designed it!

Win a PlayStation 2!
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2000, 06:04 PM   #5
JonathanLB
Member.

Unhappy

Alright, great, thanks!

I will go check them out now.
Old 09-21-2000, 06:22 PM   #6
RamAir Productions

Thumbs up

Yeah fastclicks seems great, I also got rejected from many company because I have 0 pageviews/days since my site is brand new, and I would say not even officialy open, and fastclicks accepted me with no problems, and their % are now raised from 50 to 65%. Seems like a great one, but still, there is nothing like giving them a try, good luck.
RamAir Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2000, 07:23 PM   #7
kris
Member.

Unhappy

What kind of banners does fastclick have? meaning what kind of companies are on them. thanks.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2000, 01:53 AM   #8
consent
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

All very interesting. I visited the site JLH-Online.com...here are my some of my thoughts/concerns/etc:

The March 15th Poll only has 421 responses. Seems a small amount to get in 6 months' time for a site with 50,000 daily page views. My tiny site Quiz Stop has 5,000 daily page views and gets about 100 poll votes per week. And my poll is farther down the page than yours.

Anyhow, I checked your Guestbook and it seems non-functioning. How many guests had signed in originally? I figure a site with 50,000 page views should have a minimum of 150 guests, especially with your link to the Guestbook at the top of the page. At the very minimum.

I'm only guessing about these things...and I suppose all the above depends on HOW LONG JLH-Online has been getting 50,000 page views...but the poll figures seemed very low to me.

Here's hoping the deal you got really isn't too good to be true.

consent

P.S. Try Orbitcycle and rotate your own choice of targeted ads from a variety of (mostly CPC or CPA) sponsors.
consent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2000, 04:30 AM   #9
Toefur

Unhappy

You could make a bit off pop up ads if you wanted to put them on your site; perhaps?

Popuptraffic.com pays $3 CPM.

Works for me http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Toefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2000, 05:41 AM   #10
JP Sauve
Member.

Unhappy

Replace banner ads with text links for affiliate programs.
You'll probably make twice as much as you would with traditional
banner agencies.

------------------
JP Sauve
Prize-O-Matic.com - Now paying up to 30 cents per surfer from FREE contest sign ups.
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2000, 07:52 AM   #11
ohmygod

Unhappy

Regarding Fastclick, when they say you may only put banners on approved root URLS, does that mean you have to have approved every single page you want to put a banner on or just an individual website?
ohmygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2000, 08:50 AM   #12
zMan

Unhappy

ohmygod:

They mean just the individual website... i.e., if you got MyMainSite.com approved, you can place the banners on any page with that domain. As long as it's main root domain is MyMainSite.com.

Take care...!

------------------
zMan
zMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2000, 12:18 AM   #13
JonathanLB
Member.

Unhappy

Yeah, that ONE poll which has nothing to do with the subject matter has only 400 votes.

Another one that asks what is Love's best feature has 2,500.

The MAIN one on the site asks who is more attractive and lists several celebs, there are currently 43,000+ votes.

Please, look around the site a bit longer if you're going to question the hits.

As for how long it has been receiving that, well his log files do not concur with my log files. On his server, it said 22,600 page views per day, mine clearly indicated over 50,000 for three consecutive days and that continued throughout the week.

So, either it just happened to double overnight when it switched to my server or his information was wrong.

What I think is that he really did not understand the popularity of his own site. Regardless, we will see soon.

I wanted to thank you guys for the advice, Fast Clicks accepted me. I got rejected by Everyone.net, though, and also by Focus In.

I have had 4 rejections and one acceptance, but that's all I needed, one...

We are redesiging the site, I'll tell you when that is done in this thread. It will be Sunday, but I'll bring this back up to the top then...

The redesign is looking great, so I can't wait to get it all finished up. I removed the guest book now, that thing is worthless, it also never worked while on his site from what I can see.

His page was pretty faulty, he did a horrible job at making it look professional. Bad spelling, grammar, HTML, everything about it needed redoing.

Nevertheless, I thank him for the traffic and his excellent deal http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Pop up banners, lol. Well, maybe if I am making $1,000 a month and I really want to milk it for all its worth, but I think that I'd like to maintain my brand integrity, so to speak http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

On JLH Online, people go for pictures, too, so the polls are not going to usually be very high. 400 votes is pretty darn low, but 43,000 is pretty awesome, that totally confirms the traffic. We don't get as many unique's as the average site with 50,000 page views, but if you couldn't tell that...you've not thought about it too hard.

Pictures...galleries...teenage boys...

Simple as that. There are not more than a few thousand visitors a day, they generate amazing numbers of page views each...

It's not too hard to imagine, though, because you get new surfers from Yahoo! and other search engines, then they come and look at about 25 pictures each or whatever.

If we had a guestbook, I think it'd be higher than 150, if it worked that is. The mailing list is 660 subscribers strong as of this writing, so that's pretty good...

Last time I sent out the newsletter just saying that I had acquired the site we got an extra 6,000 page views, don't know how many came as a result of the mailing, but probably a lot.
Old 09-23-2000, 02:45 AM   #14
consent
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

You're right...I didn't do an "in-depth" analysis of your site, so didn't see your other poll figures.

Just gave my quick impression (as stated) based on a look.

Anyway...good luck with your new internet property. :-)

John

consent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2000, 05:51 PM   #15
Rick LaBanca

Unhappy

An aside.. how long to get a yahoo listing? I'm still waiting since last December! Talk about slow!

------------------
Rick
http://www.homeautomationforum.com
Rick LaBanca is offline   Reply With Quote