Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2000, 10:40 AM   #1
borus

Unhappy For webmasters in Canada

Hi,

I am considering moving to canada. Could
anyone tell me if you have to pay taxes there
if you work independently?

Thanks
borus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 01:27 PM   #2
emmzee
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thumbs down

As a Canadian, I say ... h*ll yeah you have to pay taxes. Generally Canadians pay more taxes than Americans do but enjoy better social programs. (I realize that is a rash generalization http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif)

You still have to pay taxes on income you earn from other countries (eg. USA) if that's what you were wondering.

------------------
Darren Hewer
webmaster, www.dosgames.com & www.potofgold.org
"Some people have a way with words, while others ... uhhhhh ... thingy."
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 04:34 PM   #3
Aaron Dragushan

Unhappy

Entirely true. We pay a LOT more tax than Americans. If you make good money, you're better off in the states, where (I believe) the maximum you're taxed on personal taxes is 34%. ?? And if I'm not incorrect (quite possible!) that doesn't kick in until you make $200,000/year USD.

In Canada? We pay 54% tax after hitting just $60,000/year (~40k year USD)

Brutal. Luckily it doesn't affect me since my company is a unnoficial non-profit organization. Some day maybe we'll make some decent money...
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 10:06 PM   #4
mlbs2000
Member.

Unhappy

Wow, I thought around 30% was bad. Hmmm..... I wanna make my own "Elite" country where there is no tax http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
From Mafyou/MLBS2000[*]Webpage: The Entertainment Gold Network (Coming back soon)[*]E-mail: mlbs2000@hotmail.com [*]ICQ: 74466003[*]AIM/AOL: Mafyou54
mlbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 11:30 PM   #5
Voltaire

Unhappy

Of course you do. That's why they call it INCOME tax. Whatever you make, is taxed. And in Canada, income taxes are generally higher than most States.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 11:54 PM   #6
vays

Unhappy

There is such a country: Russia.
We don't pay taxes http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
vays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 04:02 AM   #7
JP Sauve
Member.

Unhappy

Taxes in Canada? Of course not.

Why just yesterday I was riding my dogsled (Skidoo in the shop) to my igloo after a long day of polar bear hunting. My wife Nununatuk and I were just expressing our joy as to how we can keep all the whale blubber we collect thanks to no taxes.

------------------
JP Sauve
ScoreLarge.com - free stuff and bladder busting humor
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 05:40 AM   #8
JuTa

Unhappy

Don't bash the taxes! Maybe this familiar commercial will spur the patriotism http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader.

I don't live in an igloo, or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada (although I'm certain they're really, really nice.)

I have a prime minister not a president.

I speak English and French, not American, and I pronounce it "about'' not "aboot.''

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.

I believe in peacekeeping, not policing, diversity, not assimilation, and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.

A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch and it is pronounced "zed'' not "zee'' - "zed.''

Canada's the second largest land mass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America. My name is Joe and I am Canadian!

Thank you.
JuTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 10:06 AM   #9
Voltaire

Unhappy

Why did you post that lame commercial?

BTW suave, you forgot to mention our mounties on horseback, lack of trees or growing plants, (because it's too cold for them to grow) our non stop hockey, and excessive use of the word eh. Say hello to Nununatuk for me.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 02:34 PM   #10
borus

Unhappy

but if the company is from the states,
they will issue you the check without
SIN, why do you need to report the income?
Old 08-04-2000, 03:07 PM   #11
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

You say 'non stop hockey' like it's a bad thing! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

It's best to report it cause the Canadian gov. loves to audit (I know!) Especially if you're making half decent money - and have a business registered.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 03:10 PM   #12
borus

Unhappy

hmm, I am working at home, like
many webmasters here. How the canadian
government audits? They will check your
bank account?
Old 08-04-2000, 03:52 PM   #13
cheatindex

Unhappy

I'm interested too.

What happens if you are below 18?
cheatindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 07:00 PM   #14
starluck

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by borus:
hmm, I am working at home, like
many webmasters here. How the canadian
government audits? They will check your
bank account?
If you are a webmaster and you earn money from your site you are considered to be a business and are subject not only to income tax but other forms of taxation too like CPP and possibly GST and other sales taxes.

Income earned from most countries is taxable under international tax agreements(especially income earned from the US). The audit trail starts in two places. First as soon as you cash your check at the bank there is a trail. Second audit trail happens when the company issuing the check claims it against their own taxes as an expense; regardless of country of origin.
Not only can Revenue Canada check your bank account, they can freeze it if they find what they don't like.

Quote:
Originally posted by cheatindex:

I'm interested too.
What happens if you are below 18?
Unfortunately age does not exempt you from paying taxes, even if you are 2 weeks old and earning money you can be taxed.

The more important thing for those under 18 is that your parents can get a nasty surprise if they aren't aware how much you're earning. Your earnings will affect your status as a dependant and any claims your parents have made during the years in which you were earning income can be reversed. So not only will you have to pay taxes, they may owe back taxes. This probably all applies to those in the US too.

starluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 07:55 PM   #15
Bryan

Unhappy

Hahhahahhahha suave! You had me laughing.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote