Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-1999, 02:39 PM   #1
WildComputer

Default Filling out search results

In Goto when you do a search the paid bids come first, then Goto 'fill out' the results using Inktomi

If I have a search page, can I do the same/similar thing, display my results (which I get from my database, don't worry about this part), and then get the rest of results from a crawler or something - and integrate them into my page.

Preferably without spending any (or atleast not large) amounts of $$$

Thanks

------------------
40% commission on software sales:
www.wildcomputer.com/free2fax/affiliate.htm

WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-1999, 05:38 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hi WC,

Yes, you could do this with Hyperseek. Also look at Links which I don't use and assume you could.

Iv'e done a bit of what you want with my own geek/links Directory which is really Hyperseek.

The Whats Cool listings are "loaded" so the ones I want show up first and they also do with an appropriate search.

Hyperseek is complex and requires technical knowledge which you already have in spades http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hyperseek Is Here: http://www.ccs.net)

Links is:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/links/index.htm

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
www.very-cool-stuff.com
Your Administrator

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-1999, 07:41 PM   #3
Arn

wildcomputer,

I had the same thought - but the problem with that is where to get the search engine results. I don't think most search engines will allow you to repackage their results - which is what you'd want to do.

The other option is to license the search results. The problem is Altavista and inkomi (?) charge tens to hundreds of thosands of dollars to do so.

arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-1999, 07:46 PM   #4
WildComputer

Hi Steve

And thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately although these look like powerful products, neither is what I want.

It would probably help to explain in a bit more detail what I'm shooting for.

- I am planning on giving webmaster tools (mostly aimed at newbies, and those without CGI). These include various things like top 50s, guest books, and an awards system. This will operate as a club.
- The major benefit is that each is customizable, and when used in combination they will work "synergistically" to get a webmaster more traffic.

Here are the examples
- a guest book - customizable etc. It also includes a voting form. A person signing can also optionally rate the site from 1-10 (voting is by secret ballot)
- awards - customizable etc. The way to win an award is to get 25 or more votes, and to get an average vote of 5.0 or more (a better award for high average)
- search engine/directory - customizable etc. This is the bit I'm working on now

Search Engine includes a directory of various categories upto several levels deep.

For example Computer Software might be a top level category, under this is Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. Under Windows you would see Business software, Games, Utilities, etc.

eventually under the category I start showing the member's sites :-

(a) First come the award winners in that category (sorted with highest rated sites first)

(b) next come other members (sorted with highest rated sites first)

(c) next comes 'no more sites found'

Now as it will take to to accumulate members, I will be initially skipping to (c) a lot unless I fill out the results somehow. I would really prefer to fill out the results using somebody else's database.

This is where I think your suggestions don't quite fit. As my (admittedly limited) understanding is that they pull results from my own links database rather than a centrally located one.

If you are feeling particularly helpful and I haven't explained the above well enough (i.e. you want to see it), please e-mail me and I will tell you the URL (I don't want to post the URL on a public BBS until the site is working, plus I don't have a domain name yet, just a number).

------------------

Old 08-11-1999, 01:38 AM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

WC,

I see what you want. Like Arn said, no engine or Directory want's you or me to repurpose any of their data without some serious money.

Find the Open Source Directy which has 100,000 plus links you can load for free I think. Iv'e lost the url and just looked but can't find it. This might be what you need since they are free.

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-1999, 05:43 AM   #6
Aaron Dragushan

IIRC, what you're looking for is http://dmoz.org

Hope that helps!

------------------
Aaron Dragushan
Web Janitor and Construction worker
http://aaron.nu/

Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-1999, 08:02 AM   #7
WildComputer

Wow! That is cool. If I ever build my own Yahoo I will use it

My ambitions at the moment are somewhat lower, and it would kinda be overkill.

I have resorted to building my own database of links. I have about 150 categories to fill out, so I guess I need to build a little database of about 1500 links (each with title, description, and category) to create the database. I have decided to do this in Excel, and then import into my database.

thanks all, I learnt something even if it didn't solve my problem. No I have to find 1500 suitable links...

------------------