Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-1999, 09:30 AM   #1
whatever

Default where can i get a server?

Does anyone know where i can a server and how much is it monthly. I have a free homepage and want to acquire a domain. I need a server to store about 1500 meg of web stuff. Please advise.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-1999, 10:39 AM   #2
WildComputer

1500Mb is a lot. Are sure you don't mean 1500K?
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-1999, 10:41 AM   #3
whatever

yes i know its a lot. im sure that its 1500 mb.
Old 07-31-1999, 10:53 AM   #4
Questy

whatever,

Here's some prices for you to think about, keep in mind the prices I'm quoting here are based on my experiences, and there will also be someone who says you can do it cheaper.

So you what to start up your own server. Well you can start with just a typical personal computer, buy a new box now a days for around $1000, next you need an operating system and web server software, Linux OS, and Apache Web Server are virtually free, although you need to be somewhat technically inclined to install it. Where I work we took an old workstation and set it up as an Linux-Apache web server.

We, (my employer), also purchased a computer specifically designed as a server. In my humble technical opinion we purchased a pretty nice server for around $2500. Depending on how you purchase it, additional software could easily run up another $1500 or so.

So there you have the first issue, the hardware and software, and that's in the $1000-$4000 price range, pretty wide range, but at least you have some idea.

The next issue is how you will plug into the internet. At work I have the luxury of a T1 connection, which is a very high bandwidth connection to the internet. You also need someone to provide DNS for you, this means when you type in your name.com, it is translated to the IP address of your server.
There are companies that will allow you to store your server at their location, where it is plugged into the internet via a high speed connection, and has DNS, (domain name services), provided for it. Then you can adminster to your server from home even though it's locating at their shop. This level of service can run in the $100 - $200 per month price range.

Storing 1500 mb, (1.5 gb).,is a healthy hunk of storage, you may find a host that would be cheaper that buying your own server, at least for now, but it is wise to explore all you options.

Like I said, other folks may quote cheaper prices, but keep in mind, you get what you pay for. I think these are realistic numbers, at least give you some idea of what's involved.

HTH

------------------
Regards,
...Questy

Full time computerguy, part time philosopher..
www.questy.com ... www.computerguru.net ... www.eden.nu

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-1999, 11:44 PM   #5
whatever

Questy,
thanks for your help. It definitely helped me out.