Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2000, 05:14 AM   #1
Ralph Slate

Unhappy What's a good CPM network for mid-range sites

I'm looking to explore more options with advertising. I'm a member at Burst, and have been satisfied with them, but they still can't fill 100% of my inventory each month.

I'm also a member of Flycast, but I'm considering stopping that; they've been only filling about 10% of what I've been sending them lately, and that's ridiculous.

What are some other reputable ad networks -- here's what I'm looking for, more or less in order of importance:

1) They pay. I don't want to hear about some startups that no one has seen a check from yet.

2) They're honest. Everyone is happy with their definition of "impression" (meaning a single ad served, regardless of whether it's to a unique IP address), and no one feels like stats are being underreported.

3) They're somewhat exclusive. I don't want to be part of a network where there are tons of free sites who will accept any CPM or CPC level. I'd like to be grouped with larger sites that don't want to accept ads at $0.25 CPM, etc.; sites that have a little advertising clout.

4) You can choose the banners you want to run. I don't want any playboy.com ads showing up on my site. I also want the ability to cancel ads that are running and not performing if they're CPC ads.

5) They have good reporting statistics. I'd like to be able to know how much I'm making each day.

6) They have a redirect for defaults. If they can't sell my ads, I can send them to LinkExchange or something.

My site gets about 1,000,000 impressions monthly. Contrary to what their site says, this is nowhere near Doubleclick's minimum -- they don't even respond to my e-mails. The only other players I know of are Burst and Flycast.

Ralph

------------------
http://www.hockeydb.com
Ralph Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 09:59 AM   #2
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

datacom might fit ur needs for a cpm/cpc network.

------------------
Click 4 some tested resources for making money $, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 01:15 PM   #3
funpage

Unhappy

Why not try: http://bla-bla.com, or http://ad-venture.com?

------------------
Top 50 Cool Sites - Join us and increase your traffic.
Webmaster Resource Center - All, no a few resources for your webmatering needs.
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 02:13 PM   #4
Voltaire

Unhappy

Youu might want to check out the Premium Network at http://www.premiumnetwork.com

I have done business with them in the past, and they do a good job of selling inventory -plus they pay. Have a look.

BTW: I would stay away from Blah Blah. From what I've heard, you'd basically get 25% of what Doubleclick can sell on your site.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 05:49 PM   #5
strongcat

Arrow

I think there is no internet ad company for your site better than burst and flycast... if you want to make some $.

------------------
strongcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2000, 10:10 PM   #6
headhunter

Unhappy

Hi Ralph Slate

This my 2cents on how to get doubleclick.

I have looked at your website, and even if you had 3million pageviews a month, I do not think they will accept you.

1) You have the content..so make it look better.
2)Use a bit of the revenue you earn at the moment, to adverise your site on any network...preferably the double click network. Or on a major Newspaper..preferably national newspaper.
3)Doublick needs to have heard about you, or know that you are actively advertising your website...before you can stand a chance.

4) Also one milion is not enough. I know they say one million...but they will really prefer more ..I would say at least 1.8 million. Or 1 million if your website is really good and original.
So why?...because sometimes your traffic will go up and sometimes it will go down...And sometimes, your server may even be down.

I think you are nearly there. Just a bit more work will do. Put some money back into your business and you will make a lot more.

------------------
Total CPM Affiliates NetWork
Bullex.org - Total CPM for Small Sites.
---
Toplane.com
Free Web Site Promotions.
headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2000, 04:41 AM   #7
Ralph Slate

Unhappy

I'm interested in your perspective on design. If you could e-mail me privately about it, I'd appreciate it.

I never knew that Doubleclick was so picky on design; I probably somewhat disagree with you over the quality of my site design, although I recognize that it's not 100% professional, I know it's not 100% amateur either. I've definitely seen worse with Doubleclick ads on them:
http://fs.dai.net/ac/823341/E01.html...faultframe.htm

For example.

Ralph

------------------
Old 05-26-2000, 05:05 AM   #8
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire:
BTW: I would stay away from Blah Blah. From what I've heard, you'd basically get 25% of what Doubleclick can sell on your site.[/b]
I am with Bla-bla and the pay a CPM rate on a payscale of monthly banner impressions...

My cheques have been late but they are looking into it....

old post that's about Bla-bla
http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002339.html

of course if you host your site with them it's very slow for my site thedesktopthemes.com - recommend you'd host your site yourself and just serve bla-bla/doubleclick dart ads... otherwise a slow server will be harmful to your banner impressions...

i host eva2000.com with simplenet/yahoo site services and serve the bla ads... my other site will be moving to my own dedicated server and server their ads...

I am trying to spread my income sources out and told Advertising.com about my plans and will use them for some sites and try other ad networks with others...
http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002339.html

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
Coming soon...
TheDesktopThemes.com Wallpapers
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2000, 04:09 AM   #9
headhunter

Unhappy

Hi again,
"I'm interested in your perspective on design"

The website could be done in many ways, but my suggestion is definately not the rule.

You website is definately not amateurish...but just a few touches here and there.
For example, tables which are not just as ordinary or plain and a few sporty graphics, e.g using hockey balls for your bullets rather than just folders as you did in your homepage.
I am not saying the present design is bad in any way. I am just saying that if you want to join a top ad agency, you should at least show them that the website is not just ordinary.

There are no two ways about it. If the sales staff at Double have never heard about you, your website must be 100% professional for them to even look at more than he homepage.

"I've definitely seen worse with Doubleclick ads on them"

Don't be fooled.
1) Those websites either have a better front somewhere else
2) Doubleclick leases its servers and technology to anyone who needs it. They do not sell or represent the web sites.

------------------
Total CPM Affiliates NetWork
Bullex.org - Total CPM for Small Sites.
---
Toplane.com
Free Web Site Promotions.

[This message has been edited by headhunter (edited 05-27-2000).]
headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2000, 08:20 AM   #10
adland

Unhappy

Quote:
Each month I will honor the top 10 sites...
You might try changing this to "we honor" to make your site sound larger and more professional.
adland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2000, 04:48 PM   #11
geekbooks

Smile

Ralph -

You have a sweet site! I'm a bit amazed that you haven't gone after more targeted, on-topic affiliate programs. (classicjerseys.com sounds pretty cool tho!)

I agree on revamping the design a bit--this would also enable you to encorporate a little more advertising -- perhaps with just some nice clean text links.

Things like ...

hockey books
hockey video games
hockey gear
table hockey

Cheers,
Dan

------------------
--> http://geekbooks.com
geekbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2000, 09:38 AM   #12
Ralph Slate

Unhappy

You're right, in an ideal world I should be running a lot more targetted advertising. The problem is that the only people dealing in hockey articles are small dealers -- and they don't want to hear about things like CPM, etc.

There are a few affiliate programs around, but in my opinion there are very few affiliates worth hooking up with.

I have found that small advertisers are more comfortable with advertising when it is sold on a monthly basis -- regardless of clicks or impressions. Just give them an estimate of how many people/times someone will see their ad, and if they're confident in that estimate (I always point them to my stats page to prove it) then they will be much more open to buying an ad.

Ralph http://www.hockeydb.com

------------------