Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2000, 01:16 PM   #1
AK

Question Click tracking: CJ vs ClickXchange

I've been running banners from ClickXchange for quite some time, using WebAdverts (a banner rotation script) to serve the ads to my sites. When comparing the stats from WebAdverts with the stats I got from ClickXchange, I found that ClickXchange gives me credit for approximately 80% of the clicks that WebAdverts show. About 10% of these clicks are marked as "invalid" (for reasons I don't know) and not paid for.

I always thought that this had something to do with either my script, or that people pressed the "stop" button on their browser before they had been connected to the advertiser's page.

However, a week or so ago, I put an ad from CJ into the banner rotation. After a week 100% of the clicks WebAdverts show have also been counted by CJ (and there are no "invalid" clicks).

The WebAdverts script is set up to count only unique click-throughs.

I'm not accusing ClickXchange of cheating or anything, but I'd like to read your comments on this, and if you have any similar experiences.
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2000, 02:10 PM   #2
jasonco
Member.

Cool

Yes, I'v used cj.com and clickxchange.com

I think Clickxchange is cheating, because I'm making money with cj.com but not clickchange

URL: http://members.tripod.com/~cyberlife7/index.html
jasonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2000, 03:14 PM   #3
WildComputer

Unhappy

ClickXchange is not cheating, and it would be completely against their own best interests to under count clicks.

In the case of both companies, they do not pay for your clicks/leads/sales - the advertisers do.

In the case of both companies, they earn a percentage on what the advertisers are paying you - so it is absolutely in their best interest that every valid click/lead/sale is counted.

However, it also true that that they use different methodologies and technologies for serving banners/buttons, for counting impressions and so forth.

If you have a third tracking technology on your own site, the most likely expectation is that the results would be similar, but not exactly the same to two other (different) ways of counting.

------------------
[This message has been edited by WildComputer (edited 04-07-2000).]
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2000, 06:33 PM   #4
fairhousing
Member.

Exclamation

hehe, more bad press (real or preceived) for clickxchange. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

i think the tracking problem my be more of what's considered a unique click thru by ad networks. ip addresses have four sets of numbers in them, 209.12.9.69. some ad networks use all four sets to determine uniqueness and other use only the first 3 sets to determine uniqueness, like clicktrade used to or still does.

i think webadverts uses the 4 number set to determine uniqueness. this is were ur problem could be, but i have no idea.

clearly, if an ad network is using the first 3 to determine uniqueness and doesn't state so, that seems a little deceptive. considering, that most webmasters are referring to the 4 number set method when mentioning a unique ip/click.

i personally can't say if their cheating or not because i don't work for them. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

good luck http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Click 4 some tested resources for making money $, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2000, 10:47 PM   #5
gallery

Unhappy

I've also noticed this with clickxchange.
It's not perfect.
I've also noticed that when an advertisers is out of money all click are going to invalid ?!?
Anyway I use them with success ad you can get targetted ads.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote