Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-1999, 01:03 PM   #1
Questy

Default HTML editors

Thought I'd throw this question out here to see what folks think. Here's my thought's on some HTML editors that I use, hope the folks out there will share their experiences.

MS Front Page: The often recommended, over rated, from the MS super power. My problems with it, I just don't find it user friendly, I absolutely hate the way it snaps neatly into the Microsoft only way of doing things, rather than a true open standard or HTML only way of doing things.

Net Objects Fusion: Another "power user" program. It's been highly recommeded by some but the criticism's of it are about the same as Front Page, you're not really learning how to use HTML, you're learning how to use a specific software package. Likewise the proprietary file extentions on the sites are confusing to some.

Allaire Home Site: I've seen rave reviews of this one. I'm luke warm on it myself. Not a wysiwyg (like a word processor), but rather a quick HTML processor. From a learning HTML aspect it's better that the above two. For the average weekend webmaster, the learning curve can be a little steep.

Corel Webmaster: I kinda like this one, but it has it's bugs, and Corel hasn't done much with this program since Corel came out with it, (Well over a year ago). Of course, since it's from Corel, the Webmaster suite comes with some great graphics utilities. It's gotten virtually no mention in the "geek journals" my guess they think it basically a Netscape Composer with a ton of adds ons. While I can ramble on why I like this program, I can also give you an equally impressive list of "bugs"

Netscape Composer: The best program for the price,(keep in mind it's free). But as I teach folks HTML, I remind them what they need to know if they use composer. Like, how to clean up and add on HTML in notepad.

I've used a ton of the freeware editors, have yet to find one worth mention.

Care to share your thoughts? What do you use and why?
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-1999, 02:14 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hi Questy,

Iv'e tried most of them and could still use some lessons http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

This site is built with FP98, CoffeeCup, and pure coding directly in some of the templates, pages, and stuff that the CGI/Perl scripts here generate. I usually start with FP98 because some things (text formatting and inserting, spell check, insert links and images) are so much faster to create in FP. Then it does it's quirky stuff and I jump into the code to correct it. It's really quirky with tables, especially those with forms in them. Then I view the page in Netscape first and then IE. FP98 is acceptable if you use it with other editors so it remains my favorite start tool.

BTW, I am going to post a very-cool HTML Color Generator app that is Free. Should be up by Sunday. It's the best Iv'e ever seen and is truly WYSIWYG.

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-1999, 05:55 PM   #3
Ryan Adams

CQ is also first designed in Front Page 98, and then tweaked by hand coding. FP has its share of quirks, but I have usually been able to find work arounds and it does save me time.

The one thing I detest is the way it changes the HTML without permission, after hand-coding. Luckily it sounds like Front Page 2000 will leave all HTML code alone, which will allow you to easily make changes, and not have to worry about what happens if you open it later in FP.

At least for beginners, I highly recommend it. It you know HTML, you probably will find many of its quirks to be major roadblocks to good design...

------------------
Ryan Adams
ClickQuick: Affiliate and pay-per-click programs reviewed
www.clickquick.com

Ryan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-1999, 09:00 PM   #4
Questy

Regarding ... "The one thing I detest is the way it changes the HTML without permission"

I say amen to that.

For all it's attempts at dominance, Microsoft still hasn't ruled the web the way they'd like. In the browser wars MS has fought a decent battle. It still amazes me when it comes to HTML editors, or web publishing tools MS is not as dominant as it could be.

Regarding ... "Then it does it's quirky stuff and I jump into the code to correct it."

This last statement is one that you have to live to appreciate. It makes me laugh when I think about all the folks who ask me why bother learn HTML with all those wysiwyg editors, only to say to me months later, oh yeah, I see what you mean!
Old 01-18-1999, 11:43 PM   #5
Questy

Where the heck did you hide that Huey HTML Color Generator??? I just spent 20 minutes looking for it! Hey, nice plan though, I did look through your software catalog!
Old 01-19-1999, 01:27 AM   #6
Steve_S

Questy,

Huey is indeed live and well. He has already had a few visitors http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Go to Downloads via the Drop Down on this page. Fight through the Ads and at the bottom of the page is a Windows graphic link. Try not to click on Jenny.

Enjoy!

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S

Old 01-19-1999, 06:08 AM   #7
Graham_G

Macromedia Dreamweaver get's my nod! I downloaded a 30 day free demo, I have only used it a small amount so far but I am very impressed.

I think it will become my editor of choice followed by FrontPage, then Notepad...

Graham
Graham_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-1999, 06:56 AM   #8
Questy

Graham,

Dreamweaver is one I've heard about but never knew anyone personally to use it. Guess I'll have to give it a try.

The one ISP I deal with uses Allaire Cold Fusion, so I've been re-visiting Allaire's HomeSite program. Getting to use a couple of different programs just to evaluate them is a bit ambitious for me right now, but it's been awhile since I've done it. Right now the one that is the truest to HTML is HomeSite, (it claimes it's 100% pure.) That's my biggest gripe, having to use notepad to clean up was the software shouldn't have done in the first place. Keep me posted on Dreamweaver on this issue.

Regards,
Questy
Old 02-01-1999, 12:30 AM   #9
CJ

DreamWeaver 2 simply ROCKS.
I have tried everything from AceHTML to FP98 to Fusion. Dreamweaver blows them all away.
It handles tables beatifully. It cleans up duped tags, it doesnt mess with the source code. And a whole lot more!
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-1999, 07:47 PM   #10
Questy

CJ,

Quite an endorsement!

I will make a point of checking out Dreamweaver.

By the way CJ, just wanted to let you know I checked out your website, It ROCKS! http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks!
Questy

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 02-02-99).]
Old 02-21-1999, 02:56 PM   #11
DianeV

Well, I'm new here, and I must say that I am not a programmer, but I use PageMill 3.0 and tweak some things by hand.

PageMill may not have the "cool" reputation that FrontPage or some of the other WYSIWYG editors do, but I personally appreciate the ability to drag and drop, and the site management tools are wonderful. You can work on individual pages, or open the entire site in a "site view" mode, and make changes that will be reflected across your whole site ... for instance, change the URL on a link or name of a graphic or page, or move pages into a different folder, and PageMill will update the link/graphic name/page URL across the entire site for you. To me, that is true love.

I have a stack of links at the bottom of all my pages and recently changed them ... just loaded my 90+ page site into the "site view" mode, dragged and dropped into the search and replace box, and click. Didn't like it, and changed all the links again. This took five minutes. I mean, one may have better things to do than to update all one's pages ... like get coffee. :-)

As I said, it may not have the flashiest reputation, but it's pretty handy and not too confusing. Try nesting tables and messing with sizes ... not too fun by hand, I'd guess. Two years ago as a complete newbie who knew no one who knew anything about the Web, I used PageMill (2.0 then) to build an online presence which has been growing ever since. It also came with the free lite version of Photoshop, which was what convinced me to get the full version.

I am curious about some of the other WYSIWYG editors, but don't know if I'll get around to it soon. Now, if I can only figure out this shopping cart thing ... :-)
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-1999, 04:54 PM   #12
Steve_S

Welcome aboard DianeV,

It's great to hear valuable techniques using PM and other software. FP98 has a similar thing along with what they call Shared Borders which are not framesets but replicate accross the site.

I just started learning Dreamweaver and boy is it painfull http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif after so much time with FP, notepad, and Coffe Cup. IMHO, if I'm going to invest the time to learn it there must be something compelling about it that I can't do in FP etc. I'm not sure of the answer yet, but a few more hours will tell.

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
www.very-cool-stuff.com
Your Administrator

Old 02-21-1999, 05:48 PM   #13
ShaneD

Hey All,
I just downloaded the new version of cuteftp and It come's with a neat little html editor that is intergrated in that is much better than notepad for tweakin your pages. makes life alot easier when you can tweak online.
Regards
Shane

------------------
visit SearchLynx Directory www.searchlynx.com

ShaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-1999, 09:57 PM   #14
Terrahab

I'd like to create a specialty community. I guess it might be like an online club or social organization. I saw some discussions on hyperseek, which their web site told me very little.

Has any one taken a plain and simple database, and integrated it into a web site. I'm also shopping for an HTML editor, so how it works for my total needs may effect which one I go with.

I see Net Objects is supposed to be filemaker pro friendly.

As far as MS Access, it is very unfriendly! I gave up on any.

Any simple advice for simple minds?
Terrahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-1999, 10:10 PM   #15
Terrahab

Shane,

I was just looking at your site, pretty nice.

If you don't mind me being nosy, I'm trying to learn by studying html. Is your site a hyperseek site? How hard is it to totally change all the topics to ones I want? And what the heck is the revisit after 7days in your meta tags? Is that for a search engine? Does it work?

Maybe I need to search your site for a place to go to learn all this stuff?
Terrahab is offline   Reply With Quote