Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2000, 11:49 AM   #1
VirtualKid
Member.

Unhappy Help needed on how to make money?

Hi everyone

I need some help/advice on how to make money for my web site. I get roughly 22,000,000 page views per year (and growing rapidly) and used to be represented by Flycast until recently. I'm looking for some advice on how to make some money for a teen web site or how to get a major sponsor.

Thanks in advance.

Sam http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Old 03-03-2000, 05:09 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Smile

Small world Sam http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Welcome to the Forum and BB

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
www.cool-seek.com Find what you want
Old 03-05-2000, 11:59 AM   #3
geekbooks

Unhappy

How about signing up for some focused affiliate programs like Delia's? ( http://www.delias.com/ ) They only pay 5% but the products tend to be bigger ticket items.

Think about what kids need/want:

music (cdnow), games (outpost.com), clothes (delias), etc ...

Don't depend on just banners. Use a tight array of text links, built into your page structure.

Cheers,
Dan

------------------
--> http://geekbooks.com
Old 03-05-2000, 11:45 PM   #4
Ted S

Unhappy

VirtualKid -

For starters, I would highly recommend that you try the regular major ad companies like FlyCast, BurstNet, DoubleClick, and 247media.com. Although 22 million hits is nothing nearly close to what sites like teen.com get, it is more than enough to get a contract with any major network. However, just having a nice cpm (money paid based on 1000 impressions blocks instead of clicks) based contract with the 'big boys' won't get a very high click through rate unless you find banners that meet your demographically needs.

Because your demographically needs are so specialized but also in such demand, finding large companies to sponsor you is probably a very good idea. Combinations of generic banners along with commission based banners and text links along with focused cooperate sponsors could easily net you more than enough to run your site and feed your family. However, to find these big companies you not only need traffic but regular users (which you seem to have a fair amount of), content and a professional look.

I highly recommend that you move your site up in the design world if you want to make a serious profit. You don't need a ton of fancy flash or anything of that matter but a nice layout that is easily navigable will certainly catch the eyes of more companies while helping to make for more return users. Along with this look is very important to have a great deal of content and features to place ads in and use to draw back traffic.

Make sure you have a constant supply of links, polls, advice, game reviews and other popular teen stuff. A really good way to figure out what sort of things to include is no harder than picking up a copy of seventeen and looking at what they talk about, if it applies to your site, write your own article on it. Remember, the more contests, polls and interactivity, the more users will come back to your site and the more page views (and banner views you'll get) - but more then that, you'll be providing your users with some useful content which is the real point of a site.

Back to sponsors - like geekbooks said, affiliate programs can be a very powerful resource. Companies like cdnow, amazon, ebay and so on all have affiliate programs that pay decent commissions. By picking a company or two from each major web industry that your users would like, you get make a great deal of money and form some invaluable partnerships. And, as you grow, larger companies like Coke or Tower Records or even a clothing store may hear of your site and choose to buy out banner space.

Basically, you will want to find some banner network to serve banners right away and until you is able to update your design and increase your content. For there on, start including everything from banners to text links to articles about your various sponsors and affiliates. The more you grow, the less hunting you will have to do and the more seeking companies will do for you.

I'm not sure what you use for statistics right now but you'll want to get a very nice logging program up and running to compile your raw logs into real numbers. Keep both these reports along with the log files for your future sponsors, as they will want proof of your traffic claims. Also remember that sponsors are much more interested in unique visitors than the same person coming back 400 times a day so keep up your advertising to get new users.

Of course without more information on your current plans, current demographics or deals and what flycast provides now, most all of my advice is rather broad. One last tip is to make sure your site meets the new child privacy act which isn't too hard but very important. No sponsors, especially a major company will ever advertise on a site that breaks or bends such a hot law. Remember, hits are good but they're useless without some means of making money from the user.

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
Technical Adminstrator
www.infinityinternet.com
www.solutionscripts.com
Old 03-06-2000, 12:15 AM   #5
VirtualKid
Member.

Unhappy

Thanks geekbooks http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Steve hi! I didn't know this was one of your web sites. I love it. You must get tons of traffic here?

Peace,

Sam
Old 03-07-2000, 05:51 PM   #6
VirtualKid
Member.

Unhappy

Post removed and archived by Admin. PLEASE CONSIDER THIS YOUR FIRST AND ONLY WARNING. Personell attacks of this nature are never permitted on this BB and serve no usefull purpose for the members of our Community. Please use email if you so desire but NEVER on this BB. Steve-S/Admin

[This message has been edited by Steve_S (edited 03-07-2000).]
Old 03-07-2000, 07:13 PM   #7
Ted S

Unhappy

Sam, first off, this board is not yours nor is it mine and it is certainly not the place for you to spread malicious and unfounded lies.

Whatever you think happened are your thoughts and I have no interest in arguing with you over them. However, when you came to this forum, you asked for advice and after a few days, you had not received much.

Being as that I am the technical administrator for this forum and since I do have a good deal of knowledge, I posted my thoughts. Obviously you may dislike me you may not like my advice -- however, my advice was polite, my suggestions were valid and I treated you with the respect a human deserves. I see that you have chosen not to do the same, which is also your choice.

However, once again, this forum is not yours and therefore let's stay professional and only say what we know for sure. I won't accuse you of anything I believe and I hope you will do the same. Slander and fictions statements are not legal in this country and are not tolerated on this board as the rules state, if you have a problem with me, you may tell me in private but in public we have certain laws and common respect that everyone should follow.

Up until your post, I was still open to giving you what ever advice I could offer; but I am not interested in trading petty insults so don't both using them here. Let's also remember, this forum was closed yesterday for "personal attacks" and such, neither of us wants to be responsible for it being closed again.

This also marks my last post to you Sam, I have said my thoughts breifly and that is that.

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
www.infinityinternet.com
www.solutionscripts.com

And everyone remember, keep it profesional please
Old 03-07-2000, 08:05 PM   #8
DiverDown

Exclamation

Sam,

You are exactly right. You should be sorry, for your post. Although I do not know him personally, I have grown to respect Ted as the Technical Admin of this and other boards and as an all around well-experienced, web savvy Netizen. Your response to him prompted me to surf on over to your site and I will admit I spent the better part of 2 hours following everything I could find of the saga.

First of all, I will have to say that ANY Netizen that raises concerns about the welfare of our children should be taken seriously and their thoughts considered legitimate and valid.

I see NO WHERE, any place on your site, where Ted did anything more than exactly what he did in his post above. And that is to voice his opinions and remain professional about it at all times. I will actually have to say that, now that you have opened me up to the events on your site that, Tedís integrity is solid and respectable. All I did see was a ton of you exciting people with your accusations that were based purely on speculation and fear. Understandable yes, but factual, no. I can't say that I wouldn't have reacted the same way you did while under pressure, but before I opened myself to even more possible legal action I would have done some investigation first and ONLY THEN, if I had the FACTS, would I would react publicly. The proper reaction would have been to take the FACTS to the authorities and maybe make a short and simple statement to your users that matters are being taken care of by the proper authorities.

All that I see on your boards is you planting harmful and hateful remarks and then the young little natives running wild talking about getting REVENGE. I can only assume that you did not take the appropriate actions because you had NO proof, and for you to bring your slander and accusations into this forum is both disrespectful and inappropriate. Your first apologies should be to Steve_S and the rest of these forum members for bringing this discord into it. Next, if you don't have any proof of anything I would consult you to shut your mouth before you find yourself in legal trouble for the slander of Ted, his business and the businesses he contracts for.

As a consultant for many large firms I can say that, from experience, you have misused your position as a director of your forums, possibly bringing to yourself and your users negative legal action. I never see mention made, even once, about what Ted supposedly did to jeopardize the security of your site with root permissions.

I will say that, in light of all that has happened, my eyes have been opened to just how trustworthy Ted is and has been. I would now feel completely safe in recommending and even contracting Tedís services.

Ted, if you would please, contact me at your earliest convenience. I believe I have use of your services if you arenít to busy and would be interested in doing business with you. Itís nice to know that there are people out there that chose to be civil, mature and respectable in their business, even when no one would ever cast any blame on you for fighting back.

PS. For those of you reading these post, PLEASE disreguard Sams mention of Ted being an Employee of Solution Scripts. I have contracted Solution Scripts in the past and although I missed to meet or work with Ted, I talked with other contractors that SolutionScripts uses and happen to know that Teds Employer is HIMSELF. Solution Scripts does not have Employees but rather contracts programmers to do outsourced work for them.

T. Mark
Closed Thread