Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2000, 10:20 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow ADMIN: FORUM IS OPEN - READ ME

Hello Members and Visitors,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments and support in the following thread:
http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000022.html

I’ve decided to open this Forum back up. We learned a great deal about what makes this place “tick” and much of your advice is valid and always appreciated. I’m going to ask each and every one of you to do me a favor. Please try and “Police” yourselves a bit more. Naturally, using the appropriate language and tone. Pear pressure is a powerful force and one that any mature Community like ours relies on.

This has always been and always be your Community. Without your support and loyalty we wouldn’t exists. We will continue to work very hard to create Forums that empower you. Share you views, tips, and tricks with other like minded folks. Helping each other with high quality discussions is what we are all about. We will also continue to vigorously enforce our abuse procedures. Perhaps, a very small minority of you should carefully read the rules again via the register link. A very small minority of you need to think very very carefully before you click that Submit button.

Thanks for your patience during this difficult time. Let’s return to Making Money and having fun!

Respectfully yours,

Steve_S

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.GeekVillage.com Tribal communication for Geeks
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
www.cool-seek.com Find what you want
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2000, 10:39 PM   #2
gallery

Unhappy

Hi Steve,

I'm very glad that you've opened the forum back up.

I want you to clarify some points for the future :

What are we going (or are we allowed) to discuss in this BB ?

If it is tips and tricks on how to make money on the internet, please tell us.

If we are not allowed to criticize ad companies please tell us. If this is the case then you'll have the safest forum on earth.

But I think that everybody should know the truth about how a company behave towards its customers : should it be a good behavior or not. But this may lead sometimes to threads being closed.

Best Regards

------------------
www.pics4fun.com : a huge collection of funny pictures, cartoons and comics.
webmaster@pics4fun.com
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2000, 11:31 PM   #3
MagicMan

Thumbs up

Way to go Steve. I, for one, am happy to not lose a valuable resource! Let's all get back to the topic at hand, which is making money!
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2000, 11:38 PM   #4
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Good questions. Iv'e inserted my responces inside yours.

Quote:
Originally posted by gallery:
Hi Steve,

I'm very glad that you've opened the forum back up.

So am I

I want you to clarify some points for the future :

What are we going (or are we allowed) to discuss in this BB ?

Fair question given the recent closing. The same topics we have always discussed. This has not changed.

If it is tips and tricks on how to make money on the internet, please tell us.

Sure is.

If we are not allowed to criticize ad companies please tell us. If this is the case then you'll have the safest forum on earth.

We thrive on first hand comments (both good and negative) based on facts and exspressed in a business like fashion consistent with our rules. Your facts please. Tell us the good. Tell us the bad. Tell us! BUT, please use appropriate language and tone. So, this has not changed.

But I think that everybody should know the truth about how a company behave towards its customers : should it be a good behavior or not. But this may lead sometimes to threads being closed.

The truth, YES Absolutely! 100% But, this needs to be exspressed in a business like maner as much as possible and always based on your own experiences. When these comments get personel and laced with flame and attack then thats going to spell the end of a Members participation and ultimetly our demise. Iv'e banned Merchants and Webmasters. Iv'e defended your rights to do this and will continue to do this. The BB is not for sale inspite of a number of offers. It really doesn't matter to me what a "Member" does for a living, how much money they have, who they are, or even weather they want to or even are advertising on this BB. We all play by the same rules around hear. I'm passsionate about empowering our Members with a Forum to exspress your views. I care deeply about this. I always have and I always will.

Best Regards

I will work on some examples and post in a seperate document but hear is just a few and we have seen all of these although Iv'e changed the verbage slightly to make a point.

Hey Joe from xyzAffiliates. Your program ***** ! You are a liar! I hate you! Go to xxx

byby

I hear in a chat room that xyzAffiliates Spams!

Merchant Responce, Sorry we don't do that.

Yes you do! You are cheaters and **** artists. And the "fight" continues.

byby

Merchant uses our BB to attack a cheater like this: Hey joe, you cheat! You lie!

This kind of stuff belongs in private emails and not on a BB.

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.GeekVillage.com Tribal communication for Geeks
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
www.cool-seek.com Find what you want
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2000, 11:58 PM   #5
diederik

Unhappy

Hi Steve,
glad that you are back and allow us to visit your house.

Maybe, it is good idea to react in a unanimous may to these abbusive occasions.

I mean instead of saying: pfff anotherone or this thread is going to be closed, etc. We all should use a few simple comment like:
IGNORE if it is to rude
EMAIL if it is to private

If (almost)nobody is reacting to abusive comments than it is no fun, or people might learn from their behaviour and other people think about that.

Cheers,
Diederik

------------------
Making Money

[This message has been edited by diederik (edited 03-07-2000).]
diederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2000, 12:37 AM   #6
gallery

Smile

Thanks for your quick answer Steve :-)
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2000, 03:20 PM   #7
RaviJP

Unhappy

mtgm,

while this might seem like the most logical solution it is not very practical. Most Internet Service Providers assign dynamic IP addresses. This means that they are assigned an IP address whenever they connect, their IP address is not constant. In the end you may try to block the BB from one user and experience trouble with a multiple number of users who cannot access the board.

Rav,

------------------
Lyricsh.com
Find the lyrics to over 5,000 songs
RaviJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2000, 11:54 PM   #8
mtgm

Exclamation

Steve:

What I suggest you do is ban the IP addresses of the user's who are not using the geek/talk bulletin board appropriately. Give them one warning, perhaps two, and if they fail to co-operate then get rid of them.
mtgm is offline   Reply With Quote